View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Blue Beetle?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dan Garrett

2 2.30%
  • Ted Kord

41 47.13%
  • Jaime Reyes

44 50.57%
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

i think the idea of Jaime being mentored by Starfire is a little odd. Why her?
    Ever since they made the scarab magic again, I haven't seen the point of Ted being his mentor (although I love it just the same,) but if he's getting a new mentor, shouldn't it be someone magic-related?

Quote Originally Posted by Eskana View Post
    i think the idea of Jaime being mentored by Starfire is a little odd. Why her?
    Ever since they made the scarab magic again, I haven't seen the point of Ted being his mentor (although I love it just the same,) but if he's getting a new mentor, shouldn't it be someone magic-related?
    Well The Reach is back as the villain of the potential mini series, so I’m guessing the magic origin has been thankfully retconned. I like Giffen’s work but it was really an unnecessary change. Jaime’s mainstream appearances have established the scarab as alien tech. Though it was alien tech that had been short circuited by magic, but it wasn’t magical in origin.

Starfire would make a bit more sense as a mentor if the Reach origin is back in place. Plus, as stated by previous posters, Star was the mentor/trainer of the younger Titans in the Judas Contract animated movie. I think Kyle Rayner would be a good mentor figure for Jaime as he was also the young “average joe” granted crazy alien powers.

On second thought that may not be a good idea since the Reach created the scarabs to not only conquer planets but to fight Green Lanterns.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-09-2021 at 10:21 PM.

Astonishing Member

I like the magic origin, too. More over, I enjoyed Giffen expanding on the Blue Beetle's roots and the like in his run. Besides, they "unnecessarily changed it" from magic to alien, first, if we're going with that perspective/language.

I much prefer the alien origin! Making it magic removes so much mythos and villains from Jaime’s world that it feels detrimental to the characters growth. I’d make it alien in origin but earth magic short circuited it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I much prefer the alien origin! Making it magic removes so much mythos and villains from Jaime’s world that it feels detrimental to the characters growth. I’d make it alien in origin but earth magic short circuited it
    That has more to do with the magic side not having been as fleshed out beforehand. (I'm also not advocating one over the other, personally.)

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    That has more to do with the magic side not having been as fleshed out beforehand. (I'm also not advocating one over the other, personally.)
    I just don’t see the positives of making it magic in origin. By doing that you get rid of the Reach, the whole world conquering aspect, the rivalry with the Green Lantern Corps and Jaime’s internal struggle with fearing the Scarab will take full control and he’ll be responsible for the end of the worlds. I don’t see what making it magic adds

By the way, poll results show that out of 57 votes,
    * Jaime Reyes = 29 votes
    * Ted Kord = 26 votes
    * Dan Garrett = 2 votes

If Blue Beetle popped up in Earth 2 I'd play up the mystical elements more. The New 52 version of Earth 2 leaned more towards mysticism with most of the JSA. For example, Alan Scott was connected to the Green like Swamp Thing.

So Earth 2 Dan Garrett being powered by a mystical artifact fits.

So Dan deals with mysticism, Jaime is SciFi, and Ted is street level. That doesn't mean they can't genre hop but that's how they should breakdown.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-10-2021 at 09:30 AM.

Put me down as someone who also has a preference for the alien origin
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Hope Ted gets at least a cameo in the BB movie. If nothing else, they at least owe him that.

Yeah, I think they can keep the Reach but still keep the Blue Beetle legacy background to some extent. I hope they will.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I think they can keep the Reach but still keep the Blue Beetle legacy background to some extent. I hope they will.
    Young Justice did it well.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

If I were casting the Blue Beetle film:

Jaime Reyes: Xolo Maridueña
    Ted Kord: John Krasinski
    Dan Garrett: Harrison Ford
    Bianca Reyes: Eva Longoria
    Alberto Reyes: Michael Peña
    Milagro Reyes: Elle Paris Legaspi
    Brenda: Jenna Ortega
    Paco: Michael Garza
    Traci 13: Ashley Liao
    La Dama: Kate Del Castillo
    Diviner: Theo Rossi

Don’t know who I’d cast for The Reach or The Posse. Eugenio Derbez also should have a role in the film. I would have cast Salma Hayek in the film as well but she’s signed on with Marvel now... she would have made a great La Dama.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    If I were casting the Blue Beetle film:

Jaime Reyes: Xolo Maridueña
    Ted Kord: John Krasinski
    Dan Garrett: Harrison Ford
    Bianca Reyes: Eva Longoria
    Alberto Reyes: Michael Peña
    Milagro Reyes: Elle Paris Legaspi
    Brenda: Jenna Ortega
    Paco: Michael Garza
    Traci 13: Ashley Liao
    La Dama: Kate Del Castillo
    Diviner: Theo Rossi

Don’t know who I’d cast for The Reach or The Posse. Eugenio Derbez also should have a role in the film. I would have cast Salma Hayek in the film as well but she’s signed on with Marvel now... she would have made a great La Dama.

MY GOODNESS- I don't know about the whole cast, but I love the three Beetles casting. Krasinski would be great as Ted, and it would be really smart of DC to pick up Mariduena. He's great on Cobra Kai.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think the old stories are in public domain, but not necessarily the character itself.

The original Captain Marvel is in a similar boat: those old stories are not protected, but any modern-day use of the character in new material would be.
    I think this is right.

American copyright law is so broken.

Big fan of Blue Beetle, all three of him!

Or... at least the original Dan Garret, Ted Kord, and Jaime Reyes. I never really read any of the archaeologist Dan Garrett.

I think my favorite is Ted, by a hair!

I wish that Ted and Jaime co-existed more, because unlike most other of DC's "legacy" characters, they don't really scratch the same itch, between the gadgeteer scientist angle and the super-powered teen angle. Ironically, I think they both have a lot of Spider-Man in their DNA, just in very different ways. Jaime is one of the perennial "young teen hero" characters that both Marvel and DC make every ten years or so, whereas Ted is more like Ditko's experiment with a more grown-up, mature Peter Parker - who later had that goofiness inherent to Peter played up at DC.

Either way, I get a kick out of it when artists draw either of them in "Spider-Man Poses"!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."