View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Blue Beetle?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dan Garrett

2 2.30%
  • Ted Kord

41 47.13%
  • Jaime Reyes

44 50.57%
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Ted could pop up as Jamie's mentor. Sorta like what Bruce did for Terry back in Batman Beyond. Coincidentally both Terry and Jamie were voiced by Will Friedle.

Ted eventually retires from being the Blue Beetle so it fits.
    He could, I suppose, but that wouldn't be strictly necessary, especially in an origin film. And if done poorly, it could very easily come off poorly, too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I can definitely see the Tokusatsu influence. Cully Hamner said he based the head armor design on a luchador mask. It was interesting that in Justice League Action the scarab armor didn’t show Jaime’s mouth and acted more like Spider-Man’s mask. The movie would probably save a good chunk of the CGI budget if they went with that look.

It would be amazing to see Jaime on the main Justice League roster someday. Like Naomi, he could be the junior member.

Jaime has a awesome supporting cast. It was a big reason why his first series was so good. Loved the fact that his family knows he’s Blue Beetle. It made for some great dramatic and comedic moments.
    Yeah, it's amazing how much Jaime has been slept on in general, considering he's a contemporary Western Toku hero. (He's also a freakin' Henshin Hero; someone hurry up and animate this guy an awesome transformation sequence!) The idea of designing the head based on a luchador's mask is an example of how cool Western Toku takes can be. And giving Jaime's a featureless/mouthless helmet is part of Action's design's charm. And I agree that there's a workable pragmatism angle with doing so, including in a live-action CG setting.

And frankly, someone like Jaime is long overdue a spot in the Justice League.

Another point in favor of Jaime's supporting cast is how them knowing and supporting and working with Jaime's efforts as a superhero (as compared to at odds or in spite of the heroes who covet their superhero personas from their own friends and family) helped differentiate himself as a hero and a teen hero to a vast majority of his contemporaries and predecessor's. Miles Morales Spider-Man would later grow into being another example of why that's a boon in storytelling. Similar for Sam Alexander Nova, too, when he still had an ongoing. ()
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 03-28-2021 at 08:54 PM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Yeah, it's amazing how much Jaime has been slept on in general, considering he's a contemporary Western Toku hero. (He's also a freakin' Henshin Hero; someone hurry up and animate this guy an awesome transformation sequence!) The idea of designing the head based on a luchador's mask is an example of how cool Western Toku takes can be. And giving Jaime's a featureless/mouthless helmet is part of Action's design's charm. And I agree that there's a workable pragmatism angle with doing so, including in a live-action CG setting.

And frankly, someone like Jaime is long overdue a spot in the Justice League.

Another point in favor of Jaime's supporting cast is how them knowing and supporting and working with Jaime's efforts as a superhero (as compared to at odds or in spite of the heroes who covet their superhero personas from their own friends and family) helped differentiate himself as a hero and a teen hero to a vast majority of his contemporaries and predecessor's. Miles Morales Spider-Man would later grow into being another example of why that's a boon in storytelling. Similar for Sam Alexander Nova, too, when he still had an ongoing. ()
    Jaime's formula (original supporting cast, very little similarities to their legacy) worked with Kamala Khan too. I know some people may feel he gets hype off of diversity points. But Jaime's Blue Beetle is one of the best 2000s comics from DC.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Jaime's formula (original supporting cast, very little similarities to their legacy) worked with Kamala Khan too. I know some people may feel he gets hype off of diversity points. But Jaime's Blue Beetle is one of the best 2000s comics from DC.
    Agree with this, and, to be clear, him being a diverse superheroic lead is also part of his awesomeness.

He could, I suppose, but that wouldn't be strictly necessary, especially in an origin film. And if done poorly, it could very easily come off poorly, too.
    I'm cool with this being a sequel hook. It keeps both part of the fandom happy. Ted and Dan have about 20-40 villians in their Rogue gallery page on Wikipedia. Jaime would benefit from them getting a revamp.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Welcome to #DCRoundRobin! One of these pitches will become a new comic book series…and it’s up to you to decide which! Vote for your favorites in the thread below Visit #DCUniverseInfinite to learn more about each pitch:

tweet link

I would read a Jaime Reyes in college comic. Does he still want to be a dentist?
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

He’s got a good chance in the next round facing either Jesse Quick or Paws off the League. Would be cool to see Jaime in the finals.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post

Welcome to #DCRoundRobin! One of these pitches will become a new comic book series…and it’s up to you to decide which! Vote for your favorites in the thread below Visit #DCUniverseInfinite to learn more about each pitch:

tweet link

I would read a Jaime Reyes in college comic. Does he still want to be a dentist?
    Is this a legit thing, or fanmade?

Extraordinary Member

Is this a legit thing, or fanmade?
    It's legit.

Astonishing Member

I think it's real!

Why'd they have to pit Jaime against Nightrunner! Nightrunner is one of the Batman Incorporated heroes I grew to love the most, and I've always wanted more stories and adventures with him.

But I ain't going to miss the chance to push Jaime into college-aged! That's too valuable story-progression to pass up.

I'm not sure how the initial matchups were chosen, but pitting Nightrunner against Jaime feels unfair.

Extraordinary Member

Amy Chu/Marcio Takara's story for the Asian Superhero Special will feature Katana, Cyborg and Blue Beetle.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Amy Chu/Marcio Takara's story for the Asian Superhero Special will feature Katana, Cyborg and Blue Beetle.
    Well that's neat. Which Blue Beetle?

Do you have a link? I've not heard of the Asian Superhero Special before, and I'd like to know the premise.

Extraordinary Member

Well that's neat. Which Blue Beetle?

Do you have a link? I've not heard of the Asian Superhero Special before, and I'd like to know the premise.
    She didn't specify - mentioned it briefly on the Word Balloon podcast.

Here's the announcement for the special.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    She didn't specify - mentioned it briefly on the Word Balloon podcast.

Here's the announcement for the special.
    Ah, okay. I don't really follow podcasts, so I'd have been completely out of the loop if you hadn't posted.

Thanks!

Hopefully now that Blue Beetle is getting a film in the DCEU the character can finally appear more in the comics!