Page 34 of 133 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    I'm seriously wondering how they're gonna promote the movie. She's not that well know among non comic book fans.
    Every time I hear an opinion that an obscure character has no shot, I can't help thinking...

Rocket_in_Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_poster.jpg

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Every time I hear an opinion that an obscure character has no shot, I can't help thinking...

Good point. And he's more obscure than she is, or at least was

Zatanna will co-star alongside Batman in a Batman audio drama.

Batman: The Blind Cut follows the Caped Crusader and Zatanna as they join forces against a terrifying adversary who enacts a bold plan to bring Gotham City to its knees

Looking forward to it.

Though I remember hearing an announcement for a similar project a couple of years back. Is this that one or a completely different one?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The most popular one that comes to the mind is Sabrina: The Teenage Witch. Also Winx Club (both cartoon and animated show), Charmed, American Horror Story: Coven, Mortal Instruments (movie and show), a lot of witch inspired novels/tv shows/movie follow the pattern; X was ordinary high school or college aged girl who learns that she has magical powers (usually manifesting on her 18th birthday) and is embroiled in a supernatural blah blah blah and has to save the world'.

At DC you have Raven, Traci 13, Black Alice, Secret and Amethyst. On the adult side you have Madame Xanadu (usually good), Nightshade/Eve Eden (morally gray but leans towards good), Enchantress (grey but leans towards evil) and Rose (good guy and partner of Dr Occult). Though, out of all of them, Raven is the most prominent and popular one.
    Huh, good point. For some reason I always separate "magic girls" and "witches" into two different genres personally, but there's no reason you can't count them.

Still prefer the anime take on magical girls vs witches largely, but that's just me. Probably because it's closer to the superhero mold than the darker/horror bent of most things witches.
    Well, except Good Witch.

Are there a lot of DC audio dramas? I've never listened to an audio drama before (unless you want to count some Sherlock Holmes books on tapes). It'd be interesting to listen to one.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

Don't forget Blade, the first successful big screen Marvel hero. And he didn't have the MCU to aid him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Huh, good point. For some reason I always separate "magic girls" and "witches" into two different genres personally, but there's no reason you can't count them.

Still prefer the anime take on magical girls vs witches largely, but that's just me. Probably because it's closer to the superhero mold than the darker/horror bent of most things witches.
    Well, except Good Witch.
    I prefer a superhero take as well. Whether magic or witches are inherently good or evil seems to be a matter of perspective.

tumblr_n2rs97oBhw1rhtmw5o1_1280.jpg

On to another topic, I don't think many writers realize that it takes focus, practice and concentration to be able to consistently speak backwards, it could easily mean the difference between life and death:

Zatanna 12 05.jpg

Zatanna 12 06.jpg

Looking forward to it.

Though I remember hearing an announcement for a similar project a couple of years back. Is this that one or a completely different one?
    I think it's the same one, just looks like it's ready now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Are there a lot of DC audio dramas? I've never listened to an audio drama before (unless you want to count some Sherlock Holmes books on tapes). It'd be interesting to listen to one.
    I imagine there have been a few but at the moment there's also a Wonder Woman being made by the same company as the Batman/Zatanna one.

Marvel also has some for Thor, Black Panther, and Black Widow.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-29-2021 at 07:36 AM.

Cool! I'm down for a good Batman/Zatanna team-up .

I prefer a superhero take as well. Whether magic or witches are inherently good or evil seems to be a matter of perspective.
    Agreed, but for some reason most witch movies/shows in the past 20 years have been of a darker bent. Even the new Sabrina is shockingly dark. I'd like more happy good witches in media like the old Sabrina or Bewitched.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I imagine there have been a few but at the moment there's also a Wonder Woman being made by the same company as the Batman/Zatanna one.

Marvel also has some for Thor, Black Panther, and Black Widow.
    I could have sworn there was another one I read about for either Batman or Superman 2 or 3 years back...
    Eh, I'll try googling it.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

While listing potential casting options for Zatanna, I forgot to mention my top pick (it was late).

Emmy Rossum:

Attachment 107848

If they are going for someone close to Zatanna in DCSHG (like a grown up version of her), then she would be ideal:

Attachment 107849
    Ooh, good pick!
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

On to another topic, I don't think many writers realize that it takes focus, practice and concentration to be able to consistently speak backwards, it could easily mean the difference between life and death:

Zatanna 12 05.jpg

Zatanna 12 06.jpg
    No, I don't think writers should even acknowledge that. Zatanna showed be an expert at talking backwards. If not her then who? Who else would benefit the most from learning such an odd skill?

I assume this is from the Palindrome issue written by Adam Beecham. I never liked that issue.

The reason I don't like what you wrote is that it implies that the only struggle Zatanna has to face to cast a magical spell is to figure out how to say that spell backwards. It kinda diminishes the value of what she does.

It sounds like a blue collar husband sarcastically telling his white collar wife - "It must be so hard for you to sit in the office all day and push papers."

Don't make her main conflict be about struggling to speak backwards. It's just too small a price for something too valuable.

Let it be a mental skill that the user has to master through years of practice, knowledge and concentration to achieve desired results. Or let it be based on emotions such a will power, confidence, anger etc.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 03-30-2021 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    No, I don't think writers should even acknowledge that. Zatanna showed be an expert at talking backwards. If not her then who? Who else would benefit the most from learning such an odd skill?

I assume this is from the Palindrome issue written by Adam Beecham. I never liked that issue.

The reason I don't like what you wrote is that it implies that the only struggle Zatanna has to face to cast a magical spell is to figure out how to say that spell backwards. It kinda diminishes the value of what she does.

It sounds like a blue collar husband sarcastically telling his white collar wife - "It must be so hard for you to sit in the office all day and push papers."

Don't make her main conflict be about struggling to speak backwards. It's just too small a price for something too valuable.

Let it be a mental skill that the user has to master through years of practice, knowledge and concentration to achieve desired results. Or let it be based on emotions such a will power, confidence, anger etc.
    The palindrome issue was written by Matt Sturges.

You misunderstood. I don't mean that she should be shown struggling with using backwards magic or that be her main conflict. Of course, she would be doing it with ease. Just that it was cool that the comic showed her practicing, honing her craft. It acknowledges that it takes practice, skill and creativity to do what she does. It's not something that just anyone can do.

Not the classic costume, but I like this one from Esteban Barrientos.

esteban-barrientos-zatanna.jpg