Page 41 of 133 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Yep. I think so too.
    I think Paul Dini's 2010 run was good but it lacked consistency in showing Zatanna's powers. Too often it felt like Zee was too powerful for her own good. Sometimes it even felt like Paul Dini himself wasn't writing her seriously. Like he meant everyone to take Zatanna as a joke character like Batmite or Mr. Mxyptlik.

I think she can be written better. Tynion did a great job writing her in JLD and Detective comics.
    Dini couldn't keep up and had a fill-in writer from time to time which is why it was uneven.

I still wonder how that Spectre sub plot that he was brewing was going to turn out. It felt like the characters were going to be in conflict in somehow.

Its sad that ongoings get nipped in the bud so quickly these days. Imagine the timeline where Wally West Flash's ongoing got cancelled during Mike Baron's run. The horror!

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I still wonder how that Spectre sub plot that he was brewing was going to turn out. It felt like the characters were going to be in conflict in somehow.

Its sad that ongoings get nipped in the bud so quickly these days. Imagine the timeline where Wally West Flash's ongoing got cancelled during Mike Baron's run. The horror!
    Like every Spectre subplot-- he'd talk up a big game and show up to punch his jobber time card.

One day he'll get rehabilitated but I strongly doubt it'll be this decade.

Do you guys think Zatanna might be better off in her own separate continuity? If nothing else, it might allow writers to make established rules about magic that don't contradict other books.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Do you guys think Zatanna might be better off in her own separate continuity? If nothing else, it might allow writers to make established rules about magic that don't contradict other books.
    I think her solo series showed she can work on her own outside of a team but unlike DC’s a-listers (Supes, Bats, WW, Flash, GL, etc) I think Zatanna would lose quite a bit if she didn’t exist in a shared universe.

Her and DC’s other magic users (Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Dr. Fate, etc) existing in their own shared world I think could work and could solve stuff like “why hasn’t the Spectre ended the Joker already?”
    Last edited by Gaius; 04-11-2021 at 05:11 AM.

I once thinking that She maybe gonna pretty good on Vertigo realm, only appeared on big events that required great deeds and power of her. But JLD pretty much served it right as a place to properly showcase her power. Just avoid including her on street level fight or against street level especially at team book, as she would own the fight and her companions doesn't have a chance to hit the enemies

Tbf all the leaguers share some questionable defeats especially Supes , Flash, the "redshirt" GL and Martian Manhunter. Batsy on his bat realm too

I don't think leaving the shared universe does more good than ill for any of these characters, so I'm inclined to respond in the negative. She needs page time, not an impenetrable pocket universe.

Constantine can go to a pocket universe just for him, though, if it means I don't have to ever see him again.

I think what she needs is more character focus than just being in her own world, but that's just me.

Boisterously Confused

IMO, she doesn't need a separate continuity as much as she needs a corner of her own. Give her a hiatus from all teams and - most especially - Constantine, then build out a supporting cast for her in a city of her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Like every Spectre subplot-- he'd talk up a big game and show up to punch his jobber time card.

Sadly true. I think Ostrander said all that could be said about the Spectre in the characters solo series and he should have been put to bed afterwards. Attempts to revive him has only resulted in him getting jobbed to prop up the next Big Bad. If there is a character who would be better off in his own continuity, it's the Spectre.

I don't think there has been enough solo material to justify her having her own little universe. The character was also introduced in the first ever multi title cross over so her being a shared universe character has always been a built in factor instead of something that later writers had to work in somehow.

Ideally, she would have her own supporting characters and villains but at the same time would have cross overs with other DCU characters. I like her relationships with Wonder Woman, Batman, Barry Allen, Black Canary, Ray Palmer, Dick Grayson, Detective Chimp and various other DC heroes. Hmmm, why do I find her relationship with regular DCU characters more interesting than her JLD relationships (exception being Detective Chimp)?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

Sadly true. I think Ostrander said all that could be said about the Spectre in the characters solo series and he should have been put to bed afterwards. Attempts to revive him has only resulted in him getting jobbed to prop up the next Big Bad. If there is a character who would be better off in his own continuity, it's the Spectre.
    Yeah, I still try to headcanon Ostrander's ending as Corrigan's true ending regardless of continuity.

As with the Nu2 Phantom Stranger I like to pretend the real guy is out there somewhere in the Omniverse, hasn't actually appeared in years and is simply chuckling at what their doppelgangers are doing.

More Hi-res photos from Zatanna: King of Nightmares:

More Hi-res photos from Zatanna: King of Nightmares:

Her hair looks pretty curly there.