Page 72 of 133 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1989
    Extraordinary Member

How powerful is Zatanna in comparison to A fully realized Raven?

Depends on the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Was thinking about that issue where Ray Palmer was the first person Zatanna told when her powers were on the fritz. What if Ray became a surrogate father figure for her after Zatara died? That would give Ray a role beyond just being the Atom and maybe work in the sword and sorcery elements from 'Sword of the Atom' which would allow Choi to step into the role of being the main Atom while Ray will have his niche.

I would love to see a comic about Zatanna's early days of learning magic. Atom would be a great companion. He is a scientist and I would love to see magic and science work together.

I'm not so sure about the surrogate father role but Atom can definitely play the role of a slightly older married friend.
    I don't want any romantic feelings between them.

I hate Sword of the Atom. The writer shits over decades of development between Ray and Jean just because he wanted Ray to pair up with a hot redhead alien and go on Jungle quests like it's the medieval times.
    Making Jean cheat on Ray was the worst crime. They were like Lois and Clark but instead of being a reporter, Jean was lawyer.

This also was the reason why Brad Meltzer chose Jean to be the mastermind behind Identity crisis which made no f#%king sense.

Was thinking about that issue where Ray Palmer was the first person Zatanna told when her powers were on the fritz. What if Ray became a surrogate father figure for her after Zatara died? That would give Ray a role beyond just being the Atom and maybe work in the sword and sorcery elements from 'Sword of the Atom' which would allow Choi to step into the role of being the main Atom while Ray will have his niche.
    I'm not so sure about the surrogate father role but Atom can definitely play the role of a slightly older married friend.
    Agreed on both accounts. They were, in the Bronze Age, peers. I mean, generally. She's a bit younger than him (10ish years?), but not that much and they meet as adults and act as equals and I really don't want to see that retconned into something different. Plus, she's an adult and does not need a surrogate father figure. Her father's death hurts, of course, but she can move on as an adult without a father figure, just like so many other adults in the real world when their parents die. I feel like her, as an adult, needing to acquire a surrogate father is somewhat infantalizing.

I hate Sword of the Atom. The writer shits over decades of development between Ray and Jean just because he wanted Ray to pair up with a hot redhead alien and go on Jungle quests like it's the medieval times.
    Making Jean cheat on Ray was the worst crime. They were like Lois and Clark but instead of being a reporter, Jean was lawyer.
    I thought I was the only one that hated it. It wasn't even consistent with how the relationship was depicted immediately before that. Doesn't help that I don't care for the story, anyway, since I prefer a more sci-fi to fantasy-based theme for the Atom. Honestly, even in the old silver age stories, I prefer the fighting criminals stories to the miniworld ones.

This also was the reason why Brad Meltzer chose Jean to be the mastermind behind Identity crisis which made no f#%king sense.
    Ah, I hate Identity Crisis and think of a lot of it makes no sense. While Jean was certainly the worst, almost everyone except Batman got character-assassinated there.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 06-24-2021 at 07:41 AM.

Astonishing Member

I was shocked with Identity Crisis. I guess that's what it was going for.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

Guess it'd be interesting to see Zee interact with a science-based heroes, and one of the lesser-utilized ones in comparison to Flash.

Assuming we luck out and no Constantine in the movie, anyone have any wishes for DC characters who'd play supporting roles in a Zee movie?

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

By the Great George Perez.

Zatanna.jpg

Perez is a master. Though why does it look like she is crying?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    I would love to see a comic about Zatanna's early days of learning magic. Atom would be a great companion. He is a scientist and I would love to see magic and science work together.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Agreed on both accounts. They were, in the Bronze Age, peers. I mean, generally. She's a bit younger than him (10ish years?), but not that much and they meet as adults and act as equals and I really don't want to see that retconned into something different. Plus, she's an adult and does not need a surrogate father figure. Her father's death hurts, of course, but she can move on as an adult without a father figure, just like so many other adults in the real world when their parents die. I feel like her, as an adult, needing to acquire a surrogate father is somewhat infantalizing.

I thought I was the only one that hated it. It wasn't even consistent with how the relationship was depicted immediately before that. Doesn't help that I don't care for the story, anyway, since I prefer a more sci-fi to fantasy-based theme for the Atom. Honestly, even in the old silver age stories, I prefer the fighting criminals stories to the miniworld ones.

Ah, I hate Identity Crisis and think of a lot of it makes no sense. While Jean was certainly the worst, almost everyone except Batman got character-assassinated there.
    I should mention that my perception of Atom/Ray Palmer is still coloured by John C McGinley (Dr Cox from Scrubs) voicing him in JLU. In my head, he is always an older guy. I haven't watched enough LoT for Routhperman to replace my mental image of Ray Palmer. Sword of Atom is on my to-read list so I can't comment on how it did Ray either.

I'm kind of over Zee getting paired with the nearest male character. I was reading Impulse the other day and the writer has her flirting with Max Mercury; a dude old enough to be her father. I want to see her have a different relationship with a male character and one that is not flirty or romantic.

I don't think having a surrogate father figure inherently infantilizes the character. It all depends on execution. Zatanna's father was murdered and she grew up with him her whole life. I can see her finding closeness with another male figure. After all, nearly every male hero has a surrogate father figure with them even adult ones. Plus Ray being a science guy means he won't diminish her standing as a magician.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I was shocked with Identity Crisis. I guess that's what it was going for.
    A story should be more than just shock value.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Guess it'd be interesting to see Zee interact with a science-based heroes, and one of the lesser-utilized ones in comparison to Flash.

Assuming we luck out and no Constantine in the movie, anyone have any wishes for DC characters who'd play supporting roles in a Zee movie?
    Zachary: Cousin and trouble maker.
    Mickey: Stage hand/friend.
    Jeffery Sloan: Manager/love interest.
    Dale Colton: Police contact/love interest.
    Madame Xanadu: Mentor/Mother Figure.
    Ray Palmer: Friend/Science Guy.

Allura: Villain.
    Brother Night: Supporting Villain.

most already answered by John Venus. For me, I would love to see Hawkman and Hawkgirl too as guest star. Thanks to them for introducing Zee to comic world xd

After all, nearly every male hero has a surrogate father figure with them even adult ones.
    I just don't agree with that assessment. Though my default version of most being older (in publishing date, not age) versions of the characters probably contributes there.

Adams Hughes

Adams Hughes

Power Girl still retain her trademark boob window heh

"No outfit is complete without a boob window." PG at some point probably.

Harley Quinn Vol 1 #24: