Page 17 of 133 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I wish this was her JLD outfit. So much more personality than what she currently wears.
    We're in agreement there.

How do you guys think the best way of Zatanna growing her power? I once thinking in her youth, she only can manipulate 4 elements (basically make her a proto avatar like some moment at Satelite era Justice League ) and can't yet direct magic to the living being like her cousin Zatara. There are some magic resistance living being has like AT field on Evangelion. She must knock them off to wear down their willpower and the magic resistance. She doesn't need to speak to use magic especially basic one like pew pew magic or fireballs, as backward magic just helping her to more focusing the spells. As she growth she can blitz through the people magic resistance with ease.

Oh also hopefully any writers let her using magical equipments and weapons, especially her stage magic props like her fight in JLA, especially in her youth when she still developing her magic powers. Let her use deceptive and misdirections to fool her enemies. Have her hiding some lock picks in her boots or high heels , or enchant her fingernails to cut ropes and aid her already great escapism skill

Yeah the Outfit she wear at Future State is the best balance of Classic Zatanna and serious mystic vibe the writer needed for JLD theme. Oh also I love how its looks like Zatanna now that lead the team. I just feel sad that She get the chance at the middle journey as some people usually left the book after some early issues and miss the chance to see her awesomeness
    Last edited by Mai Zen; 03-04-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Dc should make Joelle Jones redesign Zatanna's outfit. Love the way Zee looks in this tuxedo even though a tuxedo is mostly worn by men.

It's from Catwoman (2018) #18. The pants are tight and stick close to the legs. The jacket (probably without buttons) is small with tight sleeves which make the chest look prominent. The color black, blue and white go well together. The vest looks better than a corset. Things like these make the outfit look feminine.

I'd love to see Zee in this outfit in a live action setting. It would be comfortable for the actress too.
    I see the top hat. Love it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    It's also common courtesy to take off your hat when inside a building or in the presence of a woman as a sign of respect. Zatanna probably has to follow those rules too even though she's not gentleman.

Trivia- Zee likes to drink Manhattans and listen to Pink Floyd, Prince and The Police.
    The rules of etiquette are traditionally that men should remove their hats when going indoors, but ladies usually keep their hats on. Hat-wearing in general is far less common than it was in the mid-20th century, but if you see photos of church services or theatrical performances etc. from that era you will see an ocean of ladies' hats still on their heads. I would suspect that Zatanna should take hers off, though, because a top hat would block the view of the people behind her. Common courtesy.

Does Zee like her Manhattans made with sweet vermouth, or dry? And with rye whiskey, or bourbon? And is there any special reason that she like musical acts whose name begins with "P"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    How do you guys think the best way of Zatanna growing her power? I once thinking in her youth, she only can manipulate 4 elements (basically make her a proto avatar like some moment at Satelite era Justice League ) and can't yet direct magic to the living being like her cousin Zatara. There are some magic resistance living being has like AT field on Evangelion. She must knock them off to wear down their willpower and the magic resistance. She doesn't need to speak to use magic especially basic one like pew pew magic or fireballs, as backward magic just helping her to more focusing the spells. As she growth she can blitz through the people magic resistance with ease.

Oh also hopefully any writers let her using magical equipments and weapons, especially her stage magic props like her fight in JLA, especially in her youth when she still developing her magic powers. Let her use deceptive and misdirections to fool her enemies. Have her hiding some lock picks in her boots or high heels , or enchant her fingernails to cut ropes and aid her already great escapism skill
    I think a lot of people are turned off by the way her powers work. It literally makes her able to do anything by just speaking backwards.

A solution to this problem was suggested in an issue of pre Nu52 Justice league. Her spells only seemed to be backward speech but the truth was that she basically had to prepare her spells in advance which would require time, energy and special items to make. She could easily do some minor spells without any prep but the major ones would always drain her energy and would require time to recharge and cast again.
    Also the spells which she would be good at (that require less energy/concentration to cast) will be the ones she uses in/prepared for her shows.

IMO the writers don't need to give her more power or remove her weaknesses.
    I remember in Seven soldier, inorder to defeat Zor, Zatanna had to take help from a demonic homunculus she had accidentally conjured up while praying for a man of her dreams.
    Similarly in JLD Rebirth, in order to defeat the Lords of order, her father had to send Sargon's Ruby from the otherside to be then empowered by Mordru and used against the Lords of Order.

I think this is a neat way to empower her without making her too powerful to be used in smaller stories.

And yes, her fights need to be more like the Justice league action one with all the magical props. She also needs more stories that show her non magical side like Catwoman #18.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post

Does Zee like her Manhattans made with sweet vermouth, or dry? And with rye whiskey, or bourbon? And is there any special reason that she like musical acts whose name begins with "P"?
    I don't know. Probably the expensive kind.
    The thing with the musical acts starting with "P" is a probably a coincidence but " magic is the science of coincidence" according to Constantine (Swamp thing #73).

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I wish this was her JLD outfit. So much more personality than what she currently wears.
    Hmm then she'll be another one in the team to wear formal clothes after Constantine, Detective chimp and Phantom Stranger.😁
    Last edited by Edwin30; 03-05-2021 at 12:34 PM.

The art of alchemy, turning souls into gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I like the curls in her hair.
    Hi there, "definitely not wearing a bra" Zatanna .

Astonishing Member

That vest stays up by magic.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Curls work for Zee!

I spent so much time trying to figure out who drew her from her face I didn't notice the plunging cleavage until later. Not sure what that says about me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Curls work for Zee!
    No disagreements there .
    I spent so much time trying to figure out who drew her from her face I didn't notice the plunging cleavage until later. Not sure what that says about me.
    You are a cultured individual ?

I didn't like how Paul Dini wrote Giovanni Zatara.
    Basically by issue #3, Zatanna has his spirit on speed dial. He says "I'm just a whisper away".

Then in GCS, Zee asks him for some advice and he gives her the worst possible advice ever.

Then in the puppet arc, we find out that he trapped a killer in a puppet and forgot about it. I mean he could've thrown him jail and let justice be delivered onto him but no.

Also if Zatanna could've asked why he trapped that guy in a puppet at any time, why didn't she?

Seems to me that Paul Dini and the GCS's writer had some miscommunication. But even then I don't like the idea of Zatara just hanging around after death. His death meant so much to Zatanna. You can't just bring him back as a spirit. Also at that time, with all mindwipe stuff that had ruined her image, Zee needed the readers to sympathize with her.

Same can be said about Zachary. In JLA Crisis of Conscience (that Geoff Johns wrote) when Wally asks Zee whether she has any friends or family. She replies that after her father died, the League is the only family she's had for a very long time. Then a year later Geoff Johns introduces Zachary Zatara in his Teen titans run.

Why did the writers diminish her struggle/grief?
    Young justice did a better job of showing that grief in season three.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 03-07-2021 at 01:10 PM.

I agree. Dini also had her casually communicate with Zatara's ghost in GA/BC. I would rather that didn't happen and Zatara stayed dead. IMO, communication with the dead should be impossible and only to happen under specific circumstances.

It is possible that Zatanna did not know about Zachary until prior to Teen Titans. There is a lot of gaps in her history. a