Page 116 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 1989

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    Yeah, there has been no reason for why she wouldn't tell them and it is detrimental to her character, especially because she's suppose to be in some kind of leadership role, because she should tell them if for nothing else than so they could develop a contingency plan in the event she starts having problems containing him. It's like being a member of a bomb disposal squad and then not telling any of your teammates that you'ce got a live bomb inside of you.

I agree with you that it feels lazy because it's like "Why did Zatanna keep this a secret? Just because."

I'm indifferent to Zatanna in the JLD and even I can see her character's getting done dirty by the writing.

It's how dismissive she is over something this major.
    "You're hurt I didn't tell you. Well, we're all hurt. He rattled me more than anyone."

Remember that bomb analogy? I'm bringing it back.
    "Oh, you're upset that I didn't tell you that I had a live bomb inside me so it nearly went off and killed you? Well, it hurt all of us- but by the way, it was way worse for me!"
    Yeah, it reflects very poorly on her. I hope there is more explanation in the annual itself but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think Zatanna gels with the team as well as people think she does.

I'm not a Young Justice fan (disinterest, not dislike) so this is the only arc that I'm interested in because
    • It'll likely include my favorite DC superhero (Doctor Fate)
    • It'll likely introduce the character that opened the door for my interest in him (Khalid Nassour)
    • I like YJ Zatanna, her story and want her to be able to succeed in freeing her father so she can at least have a few years with him (because it doesn't look like he has many left)
    • I like the idea of Zatanna either playing mentor or getting her own magical possé.
    I'm not the biggest fan of the Khalid Nassour Dr Fate but nice to see that he has fans as well.

I prefer JLD and Shadowpact to Sentinels of Magic. I think it's the Sentinel part that doesn't gel with me.
    I'm not a fan of JLD name since it sounds like coffee order. Is there a Justice League Latte? Justice League Cappuccino?

I think Sentinels of Magic at least makes them a sense of purpose and power. Like yeah, this is the team of the baddest magicians in the DCU.

My own fanon name would be 'Keepers of Magic'.

I like her on the team. I don't know how accurate it is to the general characterization in her own books, but JLD has made me really like Wonder Woman.
    Glad to hear you like her. I was a WW fan first and her being on the team is what got me to check out JLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I forget Ronnie and Zee are Jewish (unless they're just referencing Professor Stein). Although I think Zatanna being Jewish comes from that DC Bombshells comic?
    Yeah, her being Jewish is straight from Bombshells. DC might be incorporating elements from that into the main canon.

I'm more surprised as Hal Jordan and Firestorm's inclusion. I already knew about Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I just realized she could be both. Her dad is “Giovanni” so he could be Italian Catholic and if her mom is Jewish that would still make Zatanna an ethnic Jew via blood heritage from her mom (Jewishness comes from the mother I understand). Is that how it was handled in Bombshells?

Man we know so little about her mom, it’s usually all about her dad.
    It's a shame since her mother has a very interesting backstory: her name is Sindella, she comes from the 'Hidden City' on the outskirts of Turkey which is basically a magic city populated by Homo Magi and hidden from the eyes of humans. Sindella was born with the Medulla Gem. The Gem serves as a power source for the city and Zatanna also inherited it. She met Zatara after the latter was injured in a fight with a supervillain near her city. She nursed him back to health, they fell in love and had a daughter. Sindella seemingly died in an accident shortly afterwards but in reality she was kidnapped by her people and became their prisoner. She psychically contacts Zatanna after she came of age in order to protect her from her people. The Zataras and the JL goes to Hidden City to rescue Sindella but the story ends with her dying to protect her family.

I'm leaving out a lot of the weirder stuff. It's a lot of interesting ideas but imo, the execution was lacking in many ways. That's why I would love to see this story revisited and retold in a modern way.

Sindella's ghost appeared a couple of times to warn Zatanna of upcoming threats but she all but disappeared in the 21st century except for a brief mention of her in Dini's ongoing. Her mother did appear in JLD but she had dark hair and not blonde hair and was not dead/missing during Zee's younger years. Maybe as well as have an entirely different character.

As for Zatanna being Jewish, that might be how some modern day writers or people internally at DC sees her nowadays. But she's already Italian Romani from her father's side and Turkic from her mother's side. Both are rich cultures to draw inspiration from for stories. DC could use some more explicitly Jewish character but I think it should be with characters who don't already have a pre established background.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Art for Zatanna's YJ arc:
    I wonder who the girl could be. Allura?

I think the YJ's is my favorite Zatanna design, even if I think the costume could be improved a little. Such as by adding a tophat and changing some things about the bottom half.

Attachment 115877
    Attachment 115878

I really love the little white bowtie
    Yeah, it's a good design and just missing the top hat. I especially like the fact that her hair is wavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Guessing she’s another Lord of Chaos
    I've seen speculation that it's Shivering Jemmy from Sandman who was a Princess of Chaos and she is dressed formally like Klarion is.
    I think the YJ's is my favorite Zatanna design, even if I think the costume could be improved a little. Such as by adding a tophat and changing some things about the bottom half.

Attachment 115877
    Attachment 115878

I too love her design here and am eagerly awaiting her wearing the top hat.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Ah s***, someone stole my Zatanna vs. Evil schoolgirl Sabrina fanfic.
    Lol. Is she Klarion's boss or something

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I wonder who the girl could be. Allura?

Yeah, it's a good design and just missing the top hat. I especially like the fact that her hair is wavy.
    Yeah wavy of feathered(flared?) long hair matches her Magician aesthetic. Like this:

Art by Ryan Sook and Mateo Scalera
    Last edited by starduck; 11-29-2021 at 08:10 PM.

Why are there so many great fan arts of Zatanna but so few comics with good art?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Why are there so many great fan arts of Zatanna but so few comics with good art?
    because it's a lot easier to draw a single illustration when you can take as much time as you want to do it than it is to draw 20+ pages of narrative story under a deadline to the standards of an editor where it is likely to be inked and colored by other hands and where the focus is on the sequential images to tell the story rather than any single image in any panel.

My guess is some of these fan artists are taking a day or more to draw a single image. A professional comic artist needs to turn out an entire story page in that amount of time so no single image is going to get that much time spent on it. It's also why many fan artists will never cut it as an industry pro. Deadlines rule all.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 11-30-2021 at 12:48 PM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I'm excited for Zee's arc in Young justice. I hope they show some creativity in her use of magic. The last season's Zee vs Klarion was such a lackluster fight. Zee ended it in 2 seconds with one spell.

"Ooh she's so powerful that she only needs one spell" STOP!!! please give me some crazy visuals like Dr Strange v Thanos or Merlin vs Mim.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 11-30-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Fun story told through art .

Will Zatanna ever be free from JLD? It's been 3 volumes and 8 years so it's safe to say that she just doesn't work on the horror style jld tries to have. Her character has become so boring and she pretty much lost off her supporting cast and fun gimmick. outside of guest and specials her comics self seems hollow.

No, especially with the MAX Zatanna being made with the long term goal of culminating in a JLD show.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    Lol. Is she Klarion's boss or something

Yeah wavy of feathered(flared?) long hair matches her Magician aesthetic.
    Yeah I hope they animating Zatanna flowing hair again at season 4

Attachment 115877
    Attachment 115878

same, I like the bow tie. Personally I love the knee high combat boots she wear

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    I'm excited for Zee's arc in Young justice. I hope they show some creativity in her use of magic. The last season's Zee vs Klarion was such a lackluster fight. Zee ended it in 2 seconds with one spell.

"Ooh she's so powerful that she only needs one spell" STOP!!! please give me some crazy visuals like Dr Strange v Thanos or Merlin vs Mim.
    I think I will blame limited budget and the bloating plot points they are focusing. I'm agree the fight could be better, like maybe have Zatanna restrain both the Rutabaga Monster and Klarion before neutralizing them. Heck I want to see Zee using her shadow clone jutsu she use with Kid Flash and Robin back then at Season 1

You know what? I kinda like to sometimes see Hypercompetent/OP Zee . She is "Mistress of Magic" afterall, same like how dominating the British Empire Royal Navy back then with earning them title "Mistress of the Sea" even though sometimes their fighting againgst enemies that fielding more powerful ships