Page 55 of 133 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Ram V seems like a good writer. I hope he doesn't go that route. Zatanna's powers failing is exactly what happened in issue 1 of JLD.

But tbh it's really hard to write her without something affecting her magic. If her magic does work then every other character becomes useless.

If her powers were limited to one or two abilities then there would have been no problem. But the way her powers work is really a mess.
    Judging by the first issue of the back up story in which Constantine had to save the day, seems that he is going to that route. I'm tired of this treatment of Zatanna, specially because all the writers seem to treat her like a useless bimbo so that Constantine will look good.

Talking about her movie, if we somehow get Edgar Wright to direct it then I'm sure it'll be an absolute hit.

I say this after reading a post on Twitter. He pointed out how some of Edgar Wright's concepts from his movie "Scott Pilgrim vs The World" can be used to show Zatanna's magic.

I know EW used it to give a comic book feel but I think it can also be used for Zatanna's spell. That way it'll be easier for the audience to read her spells instead making her speak gibberish and have everyone be confused.

I actually saw something similar be used in Catwoman (2018) #19 by Joelle jones.

See how the words form in the air. We can have that for a few frames to help the audience. Maybe keep it backwards to reward the comic book readers.

It's better than how Justice league Action did.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 05-16-2021 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    You know, She once won the most dateable DC Superheroine along with Nightwing in around 2013 where even she has her fishnet clad leg diminished for some time, Powergirl got a distinctive run under Palmiotti https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/0...0Comics%20fans!

She also won the poll from DC SHG Popularity poll. Kinda suprised as there are big superheroines name like WW, Batgirl and Supergirl. Also votes for Injustice God Among Us as the DLC addition character.

IIRC she won the votes to be member of Satelite Era Justice League back in 80s. Heck she topping the DC gals in Comics Buyer's Guide Presents 100 Sexiest Women in Comics, sitting behind Red Sonja, Vertigo Death and Jean Grey

She is pretty popular but not mainstream yet. Hopefully the movie could breakthrough it
    Attachment 109561
    And she beat Kyle on the Twitter poll for DC's Round Robin before IG votes crushed her. I forgot that fans voted her in to be the next JL member back in the 70's. Goes to show that there has always been interest in the character and DC is only now getting around to exploring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    The preview of next weeks JL Dark backstory really irked me. Again they are going to the route of Zatanna's powers failing so that Constantine will look great and competent. It's really frustrating.
    I will give Ram V a chance and see how this story pans out first. Though it's weird that Zatanna is the leader but Constantine is the one calling the shots in the previews.

Let's just pretend all of Constantine's lines are actually said by Bobo and blonde magic Batman is just a really good illusion projected by the monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Looks like even with the costume design they’re positioning her as an “Evil Zatanna counterpart”. I could definitely see someone do something with her.
    All she needs is a motivation besides 'mwahahaha die'.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nice collection of Zatanna villains, John Venus .

Not how I imagined Zee returning to Vegas...
    Thanks.

Magic or no, this is probably not even in the weirdest thing to happen in Vegas.

Zee needs a style of magic that she can call her own.
    In the old Zatara comics, the writers had him eventually move to using only one kind of magic - animating inanimate objects just like in Beauty and the Beast.

Maybe Zatanna could adapt that style. It'll open up a lot of stories for her IMO.
    Have you read the 'Zatanna Come Together' mini series by Lee Mars and Esteben Maroto? They did what you're suggesting on there where she ditched the backward chants and adopted a staff and magic eye beams.

Talking about her movie, if we somehow get Edgar Wright to direct it then I'm sure it'll be an absolute hit.

I say this after reading a post on Twitter. He pointed out how some of Edgar Wright's concepts from his movie "Scott Pilgrim vs The World" can be used to show Zatanna's magic.

I know EW used it to give a comic book feel but I think it can also be used for Zatanna's spell. That way it'll be easier for the audience to read her spells instead making her speak gibberish and have everyone be confused.

I actually saw something similar be used in Catwoman (2018) #19 by Joelle jones.

See how the words form in the air. We can have that for a few frames to help the audience. Maybe keep it backwards to reward the comic book readers.

I like how YJ did it and for live action, this is probably the best way to go:

Every spell or incantation in a magic based show is gibberish. Zatanna's spells being backwards adds another layer to the viewers experience. Back when YJ was on, fans would repost videos of her spells with the audio reversed in order to find out what she actually said in the episode. I always thought that was a great opportunity for interactions between the show and the audience. Writers of a Zatanna movie or show could write in in-jokes, puns and references in to her backwards talk that viewers could pick up later on.

I guess you could have Zee having to speak longer, more detailed backwards chant when she is starting out but as she gets more experienced, her chants become shorter, less detailed and incorrect. The level of complexity also depends on the size and scale of her spell as well. At age 12, she would have to say something like "dab yug llaf nwod" but by 20 it's just "llaf".

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Have you read the 'Zatanna Come Together' mini series by Lee Mars and Esteben Maroto? They did what you're suggesting on there where she ditched the backward chants and adopted a staff and magic eye beams.
    Yes I have read it. I wasn't suggesting a change in costume or the way she does magic. I just think that limiting her powers a bit might help writers come up with better stories because her current powerset is too overpowered. Thats why we keep getting the same stories where something is always wrong with her magic.

I like how JLA handled her magic...

Paulina Ganucheau

Yes I have read it. I wasn't suggesting a change in costume or the way she does magic. I just think that limiting her powers a bit might help writers come up with better stories because her current powerset is too overpowered. Thats why we keep getting the same stories where something is always wrong with her magic.
    I agree with that.

Though has she really done anything OP in this volume of JLD?

I think DC does need a robust system for their magic users but I think limiting the number of spells she can use will just be another recipe for writers to sideline her so that some other character can shine.

I'm more in favor of solutions like:
    -the more she spams her abilities, the more exhausted she gets and the less potent her spells become. If she has exhausted all her energy, then she would need time to recharge.
    -she can't do the big stuff: reality warping, time travel, planet wide or universal wide spells, travel between planets. If she wants to, she would have to find some powerful mystical item to do it or she has to find some primordial, other dimensional deity to do it. However the greater the spell, the greater the consequences.

Essential Storylines: Identity Crisis ....ugh WHY?

DC has treated her so bad that they can't even name 3 good storylines about her.

Identity Crisis affected her the most even though she has less than 5 lines in the entire event.

Probably just something they didn't think too deeply on but this makes it look like she upgraded to fishnets when she took over the family business but she always had that costume even when she was her father's assistant.

Boisterously Confused

DC has treated her so bad that they can't even name 3 good storylines about her.

Identity Crisis affected her the most even though she has less than 5 lines in the entire event.
    Because their goal is to sell a trade rather than to inform a curious reader.

When She forcing Upside Down Man and binding its associate after talking with Circe I guess. Oh perhaps also when She shutting off Eclipso mouth

Quite agree especially on using magic items to aid her, but no on Reality Warping. I mean one element of magic is to manipulate natural or supernatural forces or anything defying the nature law. Arguably to be able to transform things is already considered Reality Warping?

Maybe just not let her to able directly channel magic to living beings like her cousin Zachary for her early adventures? That will force to use her surroundings like manipulate the tree to extend its branch to capture her enemy rather than breakthrough it with "potS". But then again She can simply ordering the opponents outfit to bind its wearer.
    Last edited by Mai Zen; 05-17-2021 at 06:32 PM.

Well, important to note essential doesn't always equate to "good" or "positive impact".

Sacrifice and Emerald Twilight are certainly essential to Wonder Woman and Green Lantern but they sure aren't good under any definition.

Identity Crisis is Didio Editorial's baby. Of course it's on there. Even though it was damaging to Zee.

I once put together a reading list for Zatanna but it needs to be updated to include JLD Vol 2 and a few other stories:

1f6ba5d4cceeea0f91f74ec772c8e9a2.jpg

a911b40c350c7c47a8361746115ea6f1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    Maybe just not let her to able directly channel magic to living beings like her cousin Zachary for her early adventures? That will force to use her surroundings like manipulate the tree to extend its branch to capture her enemy rather than breakthrough it with "potS". But then again She can simply ordering the enemy opponents outfit to bind its wearer.
    I feel that that should just be Zachary's thing.
    Last edited by John Venus; 05-17-2021 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Identity Crisis is Didio Editorial's baby. Of course it's on there. Even though it was damaging to Zee.

I once put together a reading list for Zatanna but it needs to be updated to include JLD Vol 2 and a few other stories:

1f6ba5d4cceeea0f91f74ec772c8e9a2.jpg

a911b40c350c7c47a8361746115ea6f1.jpg

I feel that that should just be Zachary's thing.
    Oh, cool format for the essentials list. I thought of doing something similar for other characters.