Page 20 of 133 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    No Constantine.
    I'm right thee with you. But I want her at least primarily using backwards speaking to do magical feats (I also like the yellow weakness for GL, but for different reasons). It's her (relatively) unique thing. I don't want her to be a generic magic user.

I hate to say this but I don't want her to be like Paul Dini's 2010 version even though it's one of her more popular versions. She had a lot of unjustified ego and Dini liked to exploit that for humor.

I want her to be more like Tynion's Detective comic version.
    Take magic seriously. It's not a dumb trick to slightly impress people. It has a great price and serious consequences and Zee knows all of that. She's no amateur.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 03-13-2021 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Yay!

What's everybody's wish list for the show or movie?
    I definitely want her dad to play a role in it, he obviously means a lot to her and it would probably mean a lot to have a good father daughter hero relationship. Plus theirs probably a lot you can set up with him.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'm right thee with you. But I want her at least primarily using backwards speaking to do magical feats (I also like the yellow weakness for GL, but for different reasons). It's her (relatively) unique thing. I don't want her to be a generic magic user.
    I always felt that the backwards thing was great for comics, but horrible for live action - I mean, it's got to be a pain to find a voice actress who can talk backwards as is, getting someone who can do that and look and play the part onscreen too? I don't envy them. Gotta take special training to pronounce some of those lines...

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I always felt that the backwards thing was great for comics, but horrible for live action - I mean, it's got to be a pain to find a voice actress who can talk backwards as is, getting someone who can do that and look and play the part onscreen too? I don't envy them. Gotta take special training to pronounce some of those lines...
    Wouldn’t it just take special editing? Like in post production they just have the words played backwards? I know nothing about film making so I have no idea how possible or not that is
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    I hate to say this but I don't want her to be like Paul Dini's 2010 version even though it's one of her more popular versions. She had a lot of unjustified ego and Dini liked to exploit that for humor.

I want her to be more like Tynion's Detective comic version.
    Take magic seriously. It's not a dumb trick to slightly impress people. It has a great price and serious consequences and Zee knows all of that. She's no amateur.
    Detective Comics, don't you just mean Tynion's JLD version of Zatanna?

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Wouldn’t it just take special editing? Like in post production they just have the words played backwards? I know nothing about film making so I have no idea how possible or not that is
    Eh, trying to make the reversed sound come out of the mouth flaps right in editing and not look horrid would be janky. Of course they could cgi her lips, but at that point paying for vocal lessons to talk backwards just might be cheaper. Besides, I could be wrong, but I think speaking backwards and rewinding a recording both have a different auditory feel to them, y'know?

Eh, trying to make the reversed sound come out of the mouth flaps right in editing and not look horrid would be janky. Of course they could cgi her lips, but at that point paying for vocal lessons to talk backwards just might be cheaper. Besides, I could be wrong, but I think speaking backwards and rewinding a recording both have a different auditory feel to them, y'know?
    Yeah I get what you mean
    Words to live by.

It's true. Even if you try to speak those words phonetically, it won't sound right and in some cases it's impossible to make those sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Detective Comics, don't you just mean Tynion's JLD version of Zatanna?
    She appeared in Detective comics before the new JLD started. Both the writer and artist of that arc later started JLD Rebirth.

Astonishing Member

The backwards speech would be impossible to understand, unless there were subtitles. However, if you add subtitles then she could just as well be speaking some mystic language, rather than actual backwards English. That's probably the best approach - have her speak something like "Flizzam larpony ralsh artholix" with a subtitle reading "Roll away the giant rock", or whatever. Having her try to move her lips as if she were saying "Llor yawa eht tnaig kcor" and then dubbing in a tape of her saying each word but played backwards would be possible but difficult and frankly rather pointless. Furthermore, what if it winds up sounding like "Paul is dead", or some such?

Every Zatanna voice has had to do the backward magic, so I don't think it's a dealbreaker.

The logo implies to me we won't be getting some dark, horror-tinged, Supernatural show, at least as the main focus. Which I think is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Every Zatanna voice has had to do the backward magic, so I don't think it's a dealbreaker.

The logo implies to me we won't be getting some dark, horror-tinged, Supernatural show, at least as the main focus. Which I think is good.
    The real dealbreaker is not doing the backwards magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

The logo is her 2010 comic logo. It makes me wonder if we're getting something or not.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 03-13-2021 at 09:49 AM.

Excited about the HBO series and hope this makes Zee an A-list character

My three favorite Zatanna looks (I tend to go more for sorceress vs stage magician)

516AA71A-7489-407E-9C10-17AF2CFECEA5.jpg

7FBAA798-4D35-4AD9-A3CA-048013FA6C00.jpg

24C714FB-A0BB-489F-8D21-62FE4C2BB6D0.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Yay!

What's everybody's wish list for the show or movie?
    I want:
    A stage magician or sorceress look
    No Constantine or very little Constantine if he has to appear
    Great character moments for her
    Backwards magic
    Starry magic effect she usually has
    Good vfx