Page 21 of 133 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    Excited about the HBO series and hope this makes Zee an A-list character

My three favorite Zatanna looks (I tend to go more for sorceress vs stage magician)

Attachment 107216

Attachment 107217

Attachment 107218
    I love her sorceress looks. This unused costume from a game is one of my absolute favorite looks and it has a hat!!!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    The backwards speech would be impossible to understand, unless there were subtitles. However, if you add subtitles then she could just as well be speaking some mystic language, rather than actual backwards English. That's probably the best approach - have her speak something like "Flizzam larpony ralsh artholix" with a subtitle reading "Roll away the giant rock", or whatever. Having her try to move her lips as if she were saying "Llor yawa eht tnaig kcor" and then dubbing in a tape of her saying each word but played backwards would be possible but difficult and frankly rather pointless. Furthermore, what if it winds up sounding like "Paul is dead", or some such?
    Meh. It worked fine in YJ. Those of us serious nerds would take pleasure in decoding her spells, the less serious would just take it as the language of magic and roll with it.

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    I love her sorceress looks. This unused costume from a game is one of my absolute favorite looks and it has a hat!!!

My first reaction was "hm, neat." But after a second or two, I concluded that look is better for The Enchantress.

That’s an interesting look!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    very nice
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Is this for that Infinite Crisis game?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Every Zatanna voice has had to do the backward magic, so I don't think it's a dealbreaker.
    Not a dealbreaker, but difficult. Either you get a voice actress who can speak backwards, which is easier than finding an actress who can do the same but also has to physically portray the character, or you dub and edit the sound, which again is easier to do in animation than trying to match in live action. Ultimately it's just easier to get away with backwards speech in animation than live action. It might not be a deal breaker, but it honestly might be a lot more trouble than it's worth just to appease us hardcore comic fans who are the only ones who would care about this. Especially for something we couldn't even tell was backwards speech vs gibberish by hearing it, unless we rewind it with special equipment or something.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Meh. It worked fine in YJ. Those of us serious nerds would take pleasure in decoding her spells, the less serious would just take it as the language of magic and roll with it.
    Again, YJ is animated. Easier to find a voice actress who can do it or make dubbing pass than with the needs of live action.

I'm not seeing the issue here. How is backward speech any different from the usual spooky sounding mumble jumble that a lot of other magical characters use?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I'm not seeing the issue here. How is backward speech any different from the usual spooky sounding mumble jumble that a lot of other magical characters use?
    It's different in that it's pretty hard for most of us to pull off. I mean, try talking backwards for a day....

If they can't learn their lines then they are not good actors in the first place. A good actor would just view it as a challenge to get into character.

Also, most actors, especially leads, work with the writers while figuring out their lines. So they will likely experiment with a couple of takes to figure out which ones works and which ones doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Dc should make Joelle Jones redesign Zatanna's outfit. Love the way Zee looks in this tuxedo even though a tuxedo is mostly worn by men.

It's from Catwoman (2018) #18. The pants are tight and stick close to the legs. The jacket (probably without buttons) is small with tight sleeves which make the chest look prominent. The color black, blue and white go well together. The vest looks better than a corset. Things like these make the outfit look feminine.

I'd love to see Zee in this outfit in a live action setting. It would be comfortable for the actress too.
    Zee in blue vest is smexy and cute
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    Zee in blue vest is smexy and cute
    just look at this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    If they can't learn their lines then they are not good actors in the first place. A good actor would just view it as a challenge to get into character.

Also, most actors, especially leads, work with the writers while figuring out their lines. So they will likely experiment with a couple of takes to figure out which ones works and which ones doesn't.
    I somehow don't think "can't learn their lines" is a good argument here when their line reading is comparable to learning a whole new and incredibly hard to pronounce language. Probably harder than learning most languages actually. It's why only a few people even do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I somehow don't think "can't learn their lines" is a good argument here when their line reading is comparable to learning a whole new and incredibly hard to pronounce language. Probably harder than learning most languages actually. It's why only a few people even do it.
    That depends on the lines they give to the actor. They will likely do a screen test. Give the actor a few options and go with the take that works best. It's not that different from the usual gibberish you see in supernatural based shows and as long we are comparing line readings, again, it's been done in animation.