Page 22 of 133 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    Zee in blue vest is smexy and cute
    just look at this
    Seconding this. It's a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    That depends on the lines they give to the actor. They will likely do a screen test. Give the actor a few options and go with the take that works best. It's not that different from the usual gibberish you see in supernatural based shows and as long we are comparing line readings, again, it's been done in animation.
    Perhaps. Perhaps not. Again, animation is a different medium with a couple advantages that makes it more doable. I'd definitely like them to look into it, but all I'm saying is if it proves to difficult or more troublesome than it's really worth it isn't make or break here. There's worse outcomes for this than no backwards talk.

that's a little bit tricky indeed. Some words could be easy to spell like "Etativel". I remembered on Zatanna comic, Zee choose word destroy "yortsed" rather than annihilate "etalihinna". I think they dont need to make all her magic abilities tied to verbal words if they want simplifying things. But keep the epic one with backward magic hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Not a dealbreaker, but difficult. Either you get a voice actress who can speak backwards, which is easier than finding an actress who can do the same but also has to physically portray the character, or you dub and edit the sound, which again is easier to do in animation than trying to match in live action. Ultimately it's just easier to get away with backwards speech in animation than live action. It might not be a deal breaker, but it honestly might be a lot more trouble than it's worth just to appease us hardcore comic fans who are the only ones who would care about this. Especially for something we couldn't even tell was backwards speech vs gibberish by hearing it, unless we rewind it with special equipment or something.
    They'll only need to say certain lines or phrases backwards, not talk backwards for her entire dialogue, so I don't think that's too unworkable. I don't think it's that much of a difference in live-action to animation since they probably have the same prep time to get the line down and then just say it.

I mean, it's also entirely how her powers and gimmick work.

just look at this
    Seconding this. It's a good look.
    The blue vest looks great. The big Z earrings are cute too.

That scan from Catwoman #18 is the one they'll most likely go with for live-action Zatanna.
    Man, hopefully we'll see her on the big screen!
    Stick to slate this time DC! (or WB or AT&T, whatevs)

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    That scan from Catwoman #18 is the one they'll most likely go with for live-action Zatanna.
    Man, hopefully we'll see her on the big screen!
    Stick to slate this time DC! (or WB or AT&T, whatevs)
    it will be interesting what they draw inspiration from for this interpretation.

I hope they read *everything* and not just JLD.

Just like how WandaVision drew inspiration from all of Wanda's stories (the non-Magneto ones anyway), even the bad ones and made them better, I hope they do the same for Zatanna.

I wouldn't Jac Scheifer becoming a showrunner for this as well. >_> She has a strong sensibility for both drama and comedy which I think would suit the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They'll only need to say certain lines or phrases backwards, not talk backwards for her entire dialogue, so I don't think that's too unworkable. I don't think it's that much of a difference in live-action to animation since they probably have the same prep time to get the line down and then just say it.

I mean, it's also entirely how her powers and gimmick work.
    I suppose it does make it easier if you sort through which words are and aren't pronounceable ahead of time. That it only needs to be a few specific spells, and you can choose the words help. In comics a writer just spells whatever they want backwards. In real life, some words are just going to be too hard to vocalize and they'll need to work to find words that mean the same thing but can be said more easily. Add a few spells that aren't backwards words. It'd take some work. But some of her more iconic words/spells from the comics might need to be changed.

If they can't do the backwards talk I at least hope her magic has this star power signature.

I suppose it does make it easier if you sort through which words are and aren't pronounceable ahead of time. That it only needs to be a few specific spells, and you can choose the words help. In comics a writer just spells whatever they want backwards. In real life, some words are just going to be too hard to vocalize and they'll need to work to find words that mean the same thing but can be said more easily. Add a few spells that aren't backwards words. It'd take some work. But some of her more iconic words/spells from the comics might need to be changed.
    There is a lot that goes into the writing and acting of these shows. If a line doesn't work or if a take doesn't look good, they'll change it. Rehearsals are a thing. Also, it's usually a line or two she says and usually no more than 5-6 words, not even a sentence most of the time. I would be worried if she was reciting paragraphs but it's usually not that.

There is a lot that goes into the writing and acting of these shows. If a line doesn't work or if a take doesn't look good, they'll change it. Rehearsals are a thing. Also, it's usually a line or two she says and usually no more than 5-6 words, not even a sentence most of the time. I would be worried if she was reciting paragraphs but it's usually not that.
    True - I think I got too hung up on knowing how difficult trying to say some words that way are I forgot how few actual words need to be said.

True - I think I got too hung up on knowing how difficult trying to say some words that way are I forgot how few actual words need to be said.
    Meh, it's fine.

I don't think it's something to worry about. I'm more wondering about how she will be characterized in the story and what kind of plots we are going to get.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I just hope they don't make her some emo goth. Hollywood for some reason likes to make every magical person one and it's not the 2000s anymore. What a breathe of fresh air it would be if she stayed showboaty and an actual performer. Animation has nailed her perfectly almost every time IMO.

Meh, it's fine.

I don't think it's something to worry about. I'm more wondering about how she will be characterized in the story and what kind of plots we are going to get.
    I imagine her father will be part of the plot somehow - he either died or went missing under mysterious circumstances and investigating what happened to her father opens up a world of magic. It's the sort of plot that Hollywood is super comfortable with.