Page 26 of 133 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Zatanna by Ryan Kelly (@funrama)

Twitter -https://mobile.twitter.com/funrama/s...93931558973441

Twitter -https://mobile.twitter.com/funrama/s...47401871192064

Twitter - https://mobile.twitter.com/funrama/s...61525593026566

It's amazing how so many artists draw gorgeous Zatanna fanart and post them on Twitter. A lot of them go unnoticed. That's why I always post a link to their original Tweet and drop a like whenever I could.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 03-20-2021 at 01:34 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I don't like it either but whether intentionally or unintentionally it's become a part of the character. Pre-Nu 52 Zatanna was way too mature for this crap.

Who would you suggest as a love interest? And I know you love the classic stuff but please don't say Jeff Sloan.
    Constantine needs to be removed from Zee's circle, but sadly more of his fans like him and Zee together than her fans don't like them. It's here to stay and I hate it.

She’s a fun character to draw. Don’t know why DC has such a stubborn stance on not letting her wear her iconic costume, it’s what everyone draws her in. All of those look nice!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    She’s a fun character to draw. Don’t know why DC has such a stubborn stance on not letting her wear her iconic costume, it’s what everyone draws her in. All of those look nice!
    I think they're just afraid of any backlash despite my having never met a man or woman who didn't think she looked cool so long as the art's not exploitative.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I think they're just afraid of any backlash despite my having never met a man or woman who didn't think she looked cool so long as the art's not exploitative.
    The thing is she just had a nice classic styled costume in Future State. She really needs to adopt it in the present. And all the cartoons even DCSHG (Which has versions her Stage Magician outfit and the JLD redesign of her Perez outfit) give her costumes with her iconic nylons. There really is no excuse for this leather slacks stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    The thing is she just had a nice classic styled costume in Future State. She really needs to adopt it in the present. And all the cartoons even DCSHG (Which has versions her Stage Magician outfit and the JLD redesign of her Perez outfit) give her costumes with her iconic nylons. There really is no excuse for this leather slacks stuff.
    Again, I think it's over-correcting to avoid controversy. The problem isn't her costume as much as how she's portrayed. Is it sexy? Oh, of course. Does she need to be bending over or showing off her ass with the leotard wedged up it? Absolutely not. But that's what happens, and when combined with the costume it's just inexcusable but the costume takes the full brunt of the blame.

There are ways to make the costume worse, naturally (higher cut on the leotard bottom, lower lines on the top, ridiculously high heels etc), but I think it's been proven across every medium and demographic of fans that the classic costume works and is beloved. Yes, you'll have some who hate how she is dressed. That's true of literally every character. Someone's always dogging on them for looking stupid or problematic.

Zee's design works. Hell, I could live with the current one if they lost the braid and kept her top hat on more, but alas.

Again, I think it's over-correcting to avoid controversy. The problem isn't her costume as much as how she's portrayed. Is it sexy? Oh, of course. Does she need to be bending over or showing off her ass with the leotard wedged up it? Absolutely not. But that's what happens, and when combined with the costume it's just inexcusable but the costume takes the full brunt of the blame.

There are ways to make the costume worse, naturally (higher cut on the leotard bottom, lower lines on the top, ridiculously high heels etc), but I think it's been proven across every medium and demographic of fans that the classic costume works and is beloved. Yes, you'll have some who hate how she is dressed. That's true of literally every character. Someone's always dogging on them for looking stupid or problematic.

Zee's design works. Hell, I could live with the current one if they lost the braid and kept her top hat on more, but alas.
    Yeah, I think it’s more about how she’s presented than anything else by the artist, or in the case of a film/show a director. Wonder Woman’s movie costume reveals more skin than Zee’s does but the only time I really heard complaints about it was the Whedon version of JL with the up-skirt and rear end shots.

And yeah, her current look works better the few times she wears a top hat and has her hair unbraided.

Incredible Member

Still holding out hope she eventually adopts the Future State costume in the present or another Classic style costume and this current phase passes soon. The Future State look was really great.

Yeah, I mean, as impractical as it is I don't think it can be denied that it's still her most famous and iconic look. And it it is that way for a reason.

I think it's definitely more memorable than a corset and tight pants.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I mean, as impractical as it is I don't think it can be denied that it's still her most famous and iconic look. And it it is that way for a reason.

I think it's definitely more memorable than a corset and tight pants.
    Why does she wear that?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Zatanna by Ryan Kelly (@funrama)

Twitter -https://mobile.twitter.com/funrama/s...93931558973441

I love this one. I am particularly fond of artists whose work on Z conveys an attitude of "of course I'm sexy, cool, and a superhero, and I'm having a blast!"

Probably has to do with wanting a more live action friendly costume! Leotards aren’t very easy for an actress to wear, especially if it involves action. It’s why Diana, Dinah, Kori and Raven aren’t in leotards in the movies/shows or why the MK female ninjas (Mileena, Kitana, Jade, Tanya, Skarlet) aren’t either. Even Marvel doesn’t have Wanda in one. Only instance I can remember where they kept the leotard was for Psylocke

I think they're considered silly, most male heroes don't wear their bright colored skintight spandex suits either

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    I think they're considered silly, most male heroes don't wear their bright colored skintight spandex suits either
    I don't think the bright colors are the problem. It's how impractical the shape and design appear

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Probably has to do with wanting a more live action friendly costume! Leotards aren’t very easy for an actress to wear, especially if it involves action. It’s why Diana, Dinah, Kori and Raven aren’t in leotards in the movies/shows or why the MK female ninjas (Mileena, Kitana, Jade, Tanya, Skarlet) aren’t either. Even Marvel doesn’t have Wanda in one. Only instance I can remember where they kept the leotard was for Psylocke
    A few counterpoints.

One is that Leotards are common gymnastics wear so I don't see how you can say they're bad for doing action in.

Two would be Zatanna doesn't really need to be doing a whole lot of physical action like kicks or cartwheels with her powers.

Three would be that you can still get the classic Zatanna look without a leotard by combining shorts with fishnets/nylons. The long leather pants just break from the look.

Four is we had Zatanna's classic look in live action already in Smallville, it looked perfect and functioned just fin in live action there, so there's no reason to replace it with something "more friendly" to the medium.