Page 27 of 133 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Probably has to do with wanting a more live action friendly costume! Leotards aren’t very easy for an actress to wear, especially if it involves action. It’s why Diana, Dinah, Kori and Raven aren’t in leotards in the movies/shows or why the MK female ninjas (Mileena, Kitana, Jade, Tanya, Skarlet) aren’t either. Even Marvel doesn’t have Wanda in one. Only instance I can remember where they kept the leotard was for Psylocke
    You don’t have to wear a leotard or fishnets, you can just wear pants if it’s such a big deal. Both Campbell and Joelle drew variants on Zatanna’s classic suit that have been posted itt that keep the classic aesthetic intact. In contrast the corset and trench coat actually exposes more skin and cleavage.

And I don’t really think it would be that impractical for live action given Smallville did it lol.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I like Jeff Sloane well enough, but am not attached to him (I'd rather see Solomon Samuels for Vixen, and he was even more barely-there). I might, if given a choice, have civilian love interest, though. I miss civilian supporting casts a lot. And I find it particularly irksome that women superheroes are even less likely to have them than men superheroes. Obviously, I know that's because there are so many more men than women, and most of the men that have civilian love interests are older characters from when comics were less interwoven, and each had more of their own space to operate in (though not all of them are inherited from there, I admit) instead of chiefly interacting with other heroes. Though, I will admit Zee has had less of solo stuff than some, and it's less advantageous for a team hero to have a civilian love interest. I do think have one's own supporting cast (not characters taken from the peripheral of another hero or spun off from another hero's supporting cast), and their own villains, as well is a very good thing for a solo hero.
    Zatanna stage crew's are pretty good. Heck I think WB could use it if they still pursuing diversity on movie/series adaptation. Her manager Mickey is supposed to be Transgender (?) two of her crews are gay.

For supporting cast , Zatanna has a lot good relationship and fun adventures with her proteges. Tim Hunter at Book of Magic, Misty Kilgore at Seven Soldiers, Raven at Bombshells, Traci 13 at Young Justice altough still not fleshed out yet hopefully on Season 4, and perhaps Zachary too.

There once some trending to make Zatanna a Romani. But I guess better using Superheroine Gypsy which Zatanna befriended at Justice League Detroit. cmiiw
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Probably has to do with wanting a more live action friendly costume! Leotards aren’t very easy for an actress to wear, especially if it involves action. It’s why Diana, Dinah, Kori and Raven aren’t in leotards in the movies/shows or why the MK female ninjas (Mileena, Kitana, Jade, Tanya, Skarlet) aren’t either. Even Marvel doesn’t have Wanda in one. Only instance I can remember where they kept the leotard was for Psylocke
    Diana's basically wearing a leotard with a skirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, I think itÂ’s more about how sheÂ’s presented than anything else by the artist, or in the case of a film/show a director. Wonder WomanÂ’s movie costume reveals more skin than ZeeÂ’s does but the only time I really heard complaints about it was the Whedon version of JL with the up-skirt and rear end shots.

And yeah, her current look works better the few times she wears a top hat and has her hair unbraided.
    Sometimes it irked me that they making Zatanna hair braided to differentiate it from Diana while Diana do all the close quarter battle and need less hindrance the most

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Zatanna by Ryan Kelly (@funrama)

Twitter -https://mobile.twitter.com/funrama/s...93931558973441

Twitter -https://mobile.twitter.com/funrama/s...47401871192064

Twitter - https://mobile.twitter.com/funrama/s...61525593026566

It's amazing how so many artists draw gorgeous Zatanna fanart and post them on Twitter. A lot of them go unnoticed. That's why I always post a link to their original Tweet and drop a like whenever I could.
    Thank you for the links, sometimes it slip past me to admire and giving like. Here three Zatanna cute arts from not known yet artists

one from tonalcorrection, the other one from cyberxxlife and the last one from keetydraws

https://twitter.com/JGINTING/status/...473129988?s=19
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B5mDcxIl...=15qhrjr99dxaz
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B1fN0eEj...=1v0mk4m4wgu46

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    Zatanna stage crew's are pretty good. Heck I think WB could use it if they still pursuing diversity on movie/series adaptation. Her manager Mickey is supposed to be Transgender (?) two of her crews are gay.

For supporting cast , Zatanna has a lot good relationship and fun adventures with her proteges. Tim Hunter at Book of Magic, Misty Kilgore at Seven Soldiers, Raven at Bombshells, Traci 13 at Young Justice altough still not fleshed out yet hopefully on Season 4, and perhaps Zachary too.

There once some trending to make Zatanna a Romani. But I guess better using Superheroine Gypsy which Zatanna befriended at Justice League Detroit. cmiiw
    Think Zatanna was Romani in the Bombshells comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    I want Jeff Sloane back as her manager. He wanted to make Zatanna a star and was also interested in her. He always insisted that Zee should use the publicity from her adventures with the Justice League to propel her stage magician career. He also made a lot of jokes related to Hollywood and the struggles of show business.

I think he was Zee's first supporting cast member after Zatara. I hope we get to see him again someday.
    I'm fine with him as a manager but as a love interest? eeeeh. Maybe a complete redesign will change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I like Jeff Sloane well enough, but am not attached to him (I'd rather see Solomon Samuels for Vixen, and he was even more barely-there). I might, if given a choice, have civilian love interest, though. I miss civilian supporting casts a lot. And I find it particularly irksome that women superheroes are even less likely to have them than men superheroes. Obviously, I know that's because there are so many more men than women, and most of the men that have civilian love interests are older characters from when comics were less interwoven, and each had more of their own space to operate in (though not all of them are inherited from there, I admit) instead of chiefly interacting with other heroes. Though, I will admit Zee has had less of solo stuff than some, and it's less advantageous for a team hero to have a civilian love interest. I do think have one's own supporting cast (not characters taken from the peripheral of another hero or spun off from another hero's supporting cast), and their own villains, as well is a very good thing for a solo hero.
    I know civilian supporting characters too. They give the character an anchor, imo. Usually when a character is so tied to a team or another more popular character they end up in free fall once said team changes or the more popular character experiences a change in status quo. Hence why I'm against her being a long term love interest for Batman/Dick/Constantine even though I don't mind them having history together.

What did you think of her supporting cast in her solo series?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Constantine needs to be removed from Zee's circle, but sadly more of his fans like him and Zee together than her fans don't like them. It's here to stay and I hate it.
    I don't think most Constantine fans, at least not the ones who were reading Hellblazer before Nu52 were into that relationship. Most Constantine/Zee fans I've met are tweens who started reading the Nu52 JLD and it's movies. I don't think the pairing is as big as Ollie/Dinah or Wally/Linda or Bat/Cat that breaking them up would cause any significant backlash especially since it's meant to be a toxic relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    She’s a fun character to draw. Don’t know why DC has such a stubborn stance on not letting her wear her iconic costume, it’s what everyone draws her in. All of those look nice!
    I'm fine with her wearing the costume during stage shows but if they are going to mix it up and give her new looks, they can do better than give her generic goth girl look. The Joel Jones re design for the Catwoman issue is the best re design she's had in years.

Just wait until the JLD show comes out, Zatanna and Constantine will definitely be an item in that. And that will basically cement it in canon.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Just wait until the JLD show comes out, Zatanna and Constantine will definitely be an item in that. And that will basically cement it in canon.
    [loud vomiting noises]

Think Zatanna was Romani in the Bombshells comics.
    She was Jewish Romanii in Bombshells. She and Zatara were identified as Romanii is Dini's 'Tec and Streets of Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Why does she wear that?
    It's an outfit for stage magicians. You can see similar variants on most shows showing stage magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I think they're just afraid of any backlash despite my having never met a man or woman who didn't think she looked cool so long as the art's not exploitative.
    I don't think it's that. It's more like magic = supernatural = horror = dark. So we get Justice League Dark. So we get Zee reinterpretated as a goth girl. Yet strangely enough all the other goth girls like Echantress, Black Alice or Raven hardly appears in JLD but we are getting off topic.

JLD focuses on magic almost exclusively as this dark and horrifying thing and they don't really stray away from that. Even though magic comes in as many different flavors as ice cream does.

Most female comic fans I've met don't mind the suit either but they prefer her to wear something different when out superhero'ing. I mean, Dick Grayson doesn't go everywhere in his Flying Grayson uniform. I think (of all places) DCSHG gets it right, when she is switching outfits depending on the occasion.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Most female comic fans I've met don't mind the suit either but they prefer her to wear something different when out superhero'ing. I mean, Dick Grayson doesn't go everywhere in his Flying Grayson uniform. I think (of all places) DCSHG gets it right, when she is switching outfits depending on the occasion.
    As I like to bring up, her superhero costume in DCSHG is based of her superhero outfit from the later half of the New 52 JLD, which I like and feel is a good exercise in taking her Perez era superheroine costume and incorporating iconic elements from her Stage magician outfit(fishnets, and black as the primary color). Likewise DCSHG costume gives her purple nylons in her superheroine outfit and her stage magician outfit, the way the comics version shared the fishnets. So think her later half JLD outfit or something like it could serve as a good compromise between people who think she needs something more super heroic, and those her like the iconic elements of the stage magician aesthetic. But her recent Future State outfit was great too. I just wish we could ditch the leather pants in favor of fishnet/nylon tights. They can work as part a more superhero type costume.

Justice_League_Dark_Futures_End_Vol_1_1_Present_Textless.jpg

JLD focuses on magic almost exclusively as this dark and horrifying thing and they don't really stray away from that. Even though magic comes in as many different flavors as ice cream does.
    Good point on that. I actually didn't bother with reading JLD because, well, it sounded darker than I liked (the name being more than a hint). I particularly don't care for Zee's (or Zatara's) magic often being tied into dark things, demons, etc. No never, just not routinely. A large part of that is, admittedly, that I like superheros as a genre, not horror. I do like magic (for the Zatara family) as simply a skill/ability (admittedly never been all that fond of homo magi) that runs in the family. No danger to the soul, no price exacted for it. Just an inherent ability and then training used to hone it, as with athletes and whatnot.

Ultimate Member

Why does DC mainly tie magic to dark forces?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Why does DC mainly tie magic to dark forces?
    Well, I guess some of it's magic characters going back to the Golden Age like Spectre, Phantom Stranger, and Dr. Fate are kind of naturally inclined towards that but I guess it's just DC integrating Vertigo stuff/concepts into the main books.

Ultimate Member

Well, I guess some of it's magic characters going back to the Golden Age like Spectre, Phantom Stranger, and Dr. Fate are kind of naturally inclined towards that but I guess it's just DC integrating Vertigo stuff/concepts into the main books.
    I see. I know Marvel has many magic users. But do myth-based characters like Wonder Woman technically count?

Also, have Zatanna's powers always been dark magic?

It looks like she's getting her show first so hopefully she'll be introduced without Constantine.

Although I think it's probably more likely they'll have a complicated romantic history than be cemented as an item.