Page 32 of 133 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I still want the Zatanna of Morrison's Seven Soldiers in the film. Not in terms of plot but I really love her characterization and character arc in that.
    You know it's could be a great arc in her second movie or later part if they take series approach. It similiar like Peter Parker character arc at Spiderman 2. He lost his friends, his pizza job, his gf, power but still trying to move forward despite insurmountable odds. Seven Soldiers Zee could be a character that people really care with all her guilts, self confident issue, losing power but still to helping Misty Kilgore and regaining her belief to herself
    Last edited by Mai Zen; 03-24-2021 at 11:21 PM.

A combination of Dini's run, Seven Soldiers, Tynion's 'Tec & JLD and her 80's Satellite era JLA run would be the most ideal take, IMHO.

I kind of agree that power scaling is not Dini's strong suit but imo, what won most people over with his take is his characterization of her, he is the first to establish that the Zatara's can do more than just sparkly magic and had other skill sets like escape artistry and sleight-of-hand tricks, he pushed her character into the limelight through works like 'Everyday Magic' when no one else really bothered, him and Morrison were the ones who pulled her out of the quagmire that Identity Crisis left her in and he leveraged his 'Tec and Streets of Gotham run to create a Zatanna ongoing. Even Tynion is largely building off of the foundation that Dini created when he used Zee in 'Tec and later JLD.

IMO, Zatanna should feel like a combination of Sabrina, Yennefer and Dr Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I know a lot of people are fancasting here, but what exactly is Zatanna's ethnic background?
    The only consistent thread throughout the characters entire history is that she is Italian from her father's side. Her ethnicity has shifted depending on the continuity, Elseworlds and AU but usually she is white or white passing.

Also, it's WB/DC and they have been big on open casting and casting non white actors for characters usually played by white actors. Look at the cast for Black Adam. There is a high chance that it will be a non white actress in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee_Fan View Post
    No to Kat Dennings. Ana de Armas would be good though.

My underrated pick for a younger Zee is Hailee Steinfeld:

Attachment 107706
    I wasn't sure of Hailee until I saw that pic. Straight out of the comics! But she is playing Kate Bishop so chances of her playing Zee is slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Alison brie. I mainly know her from the sitcom - Community. She'd be great for comedy. She has worked with Emerald Fennel in PYW.

Anya Chalotra - I know her from the Witcher. She plays the witch Yennefer. She'd be great too.

Kat Dennings- She was in Thor. Didn't like her that much.

Ana De Armas- Bladerunner 2049. She'll be in the next Bond film. She looks really cute.

Don't know about the others.

How about Eva Green or Anne Hathaway?
    Eva would be my pick for a villainess. She would make a great Circe or Allura. I really enjoyed Ann Hathaway as Catwoman and would like to see her play a similar antagonistic role.

Ultimate Member

Honestly Hathaway didn't work for me as Catwoman so idk if she can do another villain role

I do think it's entirely possible they'll do a colorblind casting considering DC's done it before as John Venus has noted in the Black Adam movie

Somebody on YouTube made a video based on Guillermo del Toro's script for JLD.

I really didn't like it. Zatanna is never in the driver's seat. She is literally introduced as Constantine's old flame. WTF. I expected something better from Guillermo.

Honestly, every JLD movie proposed so far has been bullet dodged.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Honestly, every JLD movie proposed so far has been bullet dodged.
    The animated ones too. JLD AW sacrificed Zatanna so Constantine can feel bad about himself for leaving her and then find out he was under a "compulsion spell".

Why is Zee always written like this when Constantine is nearby?

Ram V posted this on twitter.

Twitter- https://mobile.twitter.com/therightr...95206359916547

I'm seriously hoping Constantine goes away and annoys Jason Blood from now on.

Injustice and DCeased also has Zatanna just show up to look sexy and wait for Constantine to call the shots.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 03-25-2021 at 10:12 AM.

Ultimate Member

Isn't she a bigger character in the DC universe anyway?

Isn't she a bigger character in the DC universe anyway?
    Yups , although her appearances is still few overall, She is prominent and popular among fans. Just need time to be mainstream xd

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    Yups , although her appearances is still few overall, She is prominent and popular among fans. Just need time to be mainstream xd
    So why's she playing second fiddle to Constantine in these instances?

The writers like Constantine more.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The writers like Constantine more.
    That's unfortunate for her. Maybe that'll change after her movie

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Injustice and DeCeased also has Zatanna just show up to look sexy and wait for Constantine to call the shots.
    Well, yeah of course she was written like that. Tom Taylor wrote those and he writes everyone in whatever their least interesting stereotype mode is:

Superman = “naive but dumb farm boy”, Batman = “BatPrick”, Wonder Woman = “Warrior Woman”, Constantine = See Batman but now a magic wanker”, Zatanna = “arm candy for Batman or British Batman”

I love it they make Zatanna the leader of the JLD at later half of the first volume. It's look like Zatanna gonna be leading at current JLD based on preview Ram V released and in the future state event.

Constantine got a lot push like Batman recently xd. Hard to say perhaps because Constantine already more popular thanks to the heavy push. Then again male character tend to be more popular in comic book

She should be a bigger player. All the ingredients for a major female superhero are there. Untapped potential, just sitting there. The same can be said for a lot of DC heroines; Vixen, Kimiyo Hoshi, Black Canary, Power Girl, Huntress, etc. It's just that for much of the 20th century there was this belief that female superheroines can't sustain solo ongoings, combined with the belief that superheroes only appeal to boys meant that most female characters were reduced to being either team players or second lead to a male hero which meant that they were either damsel in distress or maimed or killed off to facilitate the storylines of a male lead.

Consistent ongoings for female leads is still a relatively new thing. DC has an agreement with the Marston estate hence why they are legally bound to keep publishing Wonder Woman. WW is up to 700+ issues, IIRC the next closest unbroken ongoing is Marvel's Spider-Girl with 102 issues, though I have seen claims that She Hulk would come second if you stack up all her various ongoings and I am interested in seeing who comes second now since Marvel has been pushing Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers and Black Widow ongoings so persistently for almost 10 years now. Even Wonder Woman getting multiple titles featuring her is still relatively new.

I'm seriously wondering how they're gonna promote the movie. She's not that well know among non comic book fans.

Her movie will be her first appearance on big screen. Even Wonder woman who is widely known was first introduced in Batman vs Superman. Captain Marvel had the MCU back her up. Harley quinn had suicide squad.

Alita battle angel seems to give me some hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Well, yeah of course she was written like that. Tom Taylor wrote those and he writes everyone in whatever their least interesting stereotype mode is:

Superman = “naive but dumb farm boy”, Batman = “BatPrick”, Wonder Woman = “Warrior Woman”, Constantine = See Batman but now a magic wanker”, Zatanna = “arm candy for Batman or British Batman”
    Yeah. Reading DCeased I too felt that way. Why was Constantine given so much attention in the Injustice comics when he wasn't even in the game? Idk.
    Instead of focusing on other magical characters like Zatanna, Raven, Shazam that actually were in the game, he went for Constantine.

British Batman hah
    Last edited by Edwin30; 03-26-2021 at 08:51 AM.