Page 46 of 133 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

How much do you wanna bet that Paul turns Zee into a damsel in distress and carries out his woman in peril fetish by having zee be gagged for most of the issue ?

And in the end Zee fixes everything with a single spell.

I like Paul Dini but most of his stories are like this. He knows how to write her character but doesn't know how to write magic to make Zee's struggle feel interesting.

I gotchu fam, especially this is Bat centric book which batwanks enabled and writer tend to self insert as Batman and make other heroes fall to pop up the Bat. Not to mention this version of Zatanna isn't shown yet to be skillful or powerful as the general view of the character.

Outside batman related book, Paul Dini actually pretty good handling Zatanna like Zee team up with Harley at Halloween special or that Harley special book. His Zatanna everyday magic is pretty good. I feel like Paul Dini is good to handle "spin off" story like that Halloween issue when Scarecrow tell Zatanna become vengeful after seeing a kid being hurt badly. He is a great way to tell Zatanna other life in a leisure way, but generally bad on power level showing as he focusing more on delivering a good story as someone addressed before. His Author appeals kick in badly when Batman involved
    Last edited by Mai Zen; 04-23-2021 at 01:37 AM.

I'll keep an open mind and see where Dini goes with it. Don't know if it's a cameo or something bigger. If I have any complaints, I would make them after I read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Do you think Zee would do much better if she was a mid level hero?
    Right now her powerset makes her a God tier hero but she can be taken out by any street level thug.
    What if for her solo adventures she had her powers nerfed to be just a little above street level?
    I don't know by how much but it should be enough to make a fight between magicians feel interesting.
    I don't think it's a matter of whether is a street level, mid level or god level hero. It's the fact that she exists either as a guest star or a team character instead of having a solo setting. Imagine if Dr Strange never had an ongoing. His origin and magic would be vaguely defined. That's where she is as a character. That's why I'm happy she's getting a solo movie because that allows writers to define her in her own terms instead of fitting into someone else's world.

As for her magic. They definitely need some rules. I think no reality warping, no time travel, no talking or communicating with the dead except under specific circumstances are reasonable enough rules.

I hope the movie makers look at Brandon Sanderson's Three Laws of Magic as a starting point for figuring out magic:

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-first-law/

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-second-law/

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/san...-law-of-magic/

Its an interesting Idea.

For first law its kinda hard as its look like each DC Magic characters has their own magic system. Thought I hope the film writer maybe adopting the middle ground between the hard and soft magic. Its fit Zatanna as she is very versatile

So far the general limitation is she cant raise the dead. I vaguely remember Nth Metal has special effect of negating magic energy, suprised it under utilised on magic story. I guess the cost and limitation could be tied to her mana/magical reservoir? Her explanation to Bruce at Rebirth Detective Comic or premise when Upside Down Man is pretty good basis, just need a scene to show the bad effect of when using it over the limit.

I Hope DC Magic could be expanded upon and gradually blended or at least its presence felt more. Magic events like Day of Judgment, Witching Hour or Pralay & Upside Down Man felt pretty self contained.

I think she can gain reality warping at later end of her character arc/journey as sign of character growth. Maybe localised slowing down time sphere like her skill on Justice League Heroes game. Talking or communicating with the dead only on under specific circumstances like you said to let her move on from her father
    Last edited by Mai Zen; 04-23-2021 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    How much do you wanna bet that Paul turns Zee into a damsel in distress and carries out his woman in peril fetish by having zee be gagged for most of the issue ?

And in the end Zee fixes everything with a single spell.

I like Paul Dini but most of his stories are like this. He knows how to write her character but doesn't know how to write magic to make Zee's struggle feel interesting.
    I don't know, I think it's more likely they team-up and work together if she does more than just appear and talk to Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    I like the design of her vest .

Last edited by John Venus; 04-23-2021 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Archie artstyle working great for her I remember I got this 70s Zatanna in that artstyle
    ClassicZee.jpg

Zee could still have vengeful desire with that sweet face at second pic xd

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Guess he fancasts Ana de Armas as Zee too
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Guess he fancasts Ana de Armas as Zee too
    Doesn't everyone?

She is good but I prefer someone with a bit more sass. :P

When is this coming out?

I would have put off reading this at a much later date but Zee's presence makes me want to check it out earlier.

I wonder if there will be some Dick and Zatanna interaction? >_>