Page 51 of 133 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Thanks for the links. I've heard about the Moore/Morrison but haven't seen it all compiled in one place.

I agree, Everyday Magic was a nice palate cleanser after reading her treatment in Books of Magic. Also, there is a 20 year gap between Zatara's death in American Gothic and Seven Soldier. Sad it took DC that long to publish a story that showed her dealing with her father's death head on.

There were some comics Pre-Nu 52 that explored the sexual tension between Batman and Zatanna but in this decade, it's definitely Constantine.

I think I'll like if he was reinvented and modernized. Him being a dude in distress was amusing but I also found him to be really insecure. Especially in that 100 page 'Zatanna Special'.

Yep. The more powerful a hero get, the more the story is about how they use their powers.

One thing I've always wondered is given the kind of bullshit that people fall for in RL, how bad would it be in a world where magic exists? If I was given a Zatanna I would try to explore that. She would still be a stage magician plus superhero. The public knows she has powers but they don't know exactly how powerful. Some think she only has minor powers and is faking the rest while others think that every thing she does is magic. My take on Zatanna would have her serve as the bridge between the magical and the human world. When she is not on tour she would travel from one place to another, responding to people's calls about supposed supernatural problems. Sometimes the threats are real but a lot of other times, they turns out to be hoax, people seeing monsters and ghosts everywhere because they already live in a world where they exist. For villains, there would be the requisite 'world ending magical threats', I would use some of the bad guys that were created for her like Druid and the Walrock of Ys from Zatanna's Search as well as Brother Night from Dini's run and also Klarion but Allura must be her archnemsis. There are also two Flash villains whom I think would make for an interesting Zatanna villains: Abra Kadara and Dr Alchemist. The former is a 64th century villain who uses technology to pretend to be
    magic but he's also been powered by real magic as well. He is unstable and has a nasty streak. The latter is an unstable genius who uses alchemy to manipulate objects.

However, one villain archetype I would love to explore would be that of a fake mystic who tricks people into thinking that he is a real magician. He would con people out of their money by claiming that he can talk to the dead for them or selling them junk like healing crystals that don't work. Zee, at first would think that she can just expose him for the charlatan he is but then realizes that she can't change the minds of people who don't want to believe he's wrong. He would be well connected to media moguls and in he takes advantage of Zee's attempts to discredit him by ruining her reputation instead by clever use of misdirection and misinformation. This would put her in a tough spot where she can't solve the problem with magic, has to salvage her reputation and stop the guy before he can do real damage. It would be also be a nice change of pace from another powerful magical who poses as existential level threat to the goody guys.
    Would be interesting since there are actual stage magicians in real life who spent time debunking con artists and pseudoscience (Houdini for example).

I'm kind of reminded of that guy from Zatanna's appearance in B:TAS who debunks magicians and then frames her for robbery...granted, that appearance also treated her as a normal stage magician who didn't actually have serious magic, which she didn't have until JLU.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm kind of reminded of that guy from Zatanna's appearance in B:TAS who debunks magicians and then frames her for robbery...granted, that appearance also treated her as a normal stage magician who didn't actually have serious magic, which she didn't have until JLU.
    Stuff like that is why I tend to see BTAS as it's own universe outside of the DCAU.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Would be interesting since there are actual stage magicians in real life who spent time debunking con artists and pseudoscience (Houdini for example).
    Yep and he was friends with the author of Sherlock Holmes, Sir Author Conan Doyle who actually believed in magic, ghosts and fairies even though he created the greatest detective of all time. Even claimed that Houdini did actual magic despite Houdini himself offering evidence to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yep. I believe the character was also a reference to Orson Welles and Citizen Kane.

At the time, they wanted to keep the series grounded and didn't want to delve too much into the fantastic. The only exception they made was for the Ras Al Ghul episodes. Though I think the tie in comics would also later confirm that she had powers of her own.

In the comics, during the Satellite JLA period, there was a period where she lost her powers during a periodic supernatural event but later got it back. In my head canon, the same thing happened to her in the show. She reunited Bruce during a period where she was powerless but then later she got it back.

From one cute mage girl to another .

By Dustin Nguyen:

By Adam Hughes:

From the Zatanna Special:

Found this one on Tumblr:

From Superman Family #214, Superman couldn't get out of a blood donation thing so Zatanna disguises herself as a nurse to draw blood from:

By Nathan Salmon:

By papurrcat (Tumblr):

By Shawn McManus:

Artist unknown:

Last post.

Starfire & Zee by Katei Hybasier:

By Cliff Chiang:

By ynngaa (Tumblr):

Of course she would have a fishnet bikini .

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Found this one on Tumblr:

From Superman Family #214, Superman couldn't get out of a blood donation thing so Zatanna disguises herself as a nurse to draw blood from:

By Nathan Salmon:

By papurrcat (Tumblr):

Okay, I have a number of questions here. First of all, don't they screen all donated blood? If so, wouldn't they find out that his wasn't human? Would whoever got his donation gain super powers?
    Assassinate Putin!

Wish Chiang did more work for Zatanna. He's probably my favorite artist on her, his style suits her well.

I was going through JLD Vol. 1 and I really hate this Nick Necro guy. His back story is that he was Zatanna's boyfriend, original owner of Constantine's trenchcoat and he taught magic to both JC and Zee.

I hate when writers do **** like this. On Twitter I read this writer saying that "JLD is not a group of heroes".
    This just proves that he wrote Zatanna out of character to fit his mold of the team.
    So stupid.

Atleast under wonder woman, Zee had more character to her than being Constantine's girlfriend and getting angry at whatever he does.
    Seriously, the writers just love to shove this pairing in their books even though it's detrimental to Zatanna's character.