Page 6 of 133 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Wowza! Gorgeous looking Zee .

Listened to a recent WB podcast with Ram V, and with Diana gone Zatanna is the official leader of the JLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    This was a cute issue. I think they actually used some of the villains from Zatara's comic, which was neat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Listened to a recent WB podcast with Ram V, and with Diana gone Zatanna is the official leader of the JLD.
    Makes sense, Zee was basically Diana's second on the team and co-lead (and as much the face of the book), though from future solicits it seems like Zatanna doesn't want the job.

Thanks for the heads up. I need to check this out. Though this isn't her first Scooby Doo appearance is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Bummer. I was enjoying Diana on JLD and finally exploring her magical side.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This was a cute issue. I think they actually used some of the villains from Zatara's comic, which was neat.
    From the original Action Comics?

Makes sense, Zee was basically Diana's second on the team and co-lead (and as much the face of the book), though from future solicits it seems like Zatanna doesn't want the job.
    So either she grows into the job or somebody else is going to take over. Most likely a certain someone with a Liverpool accent and smells like a chimney stack.

Nah I don’t think Ram V is going to have Constantine take over, he was pretty coy about whether John would even be a part of the book going forward. I expect Constantine will continue to play a guest role, and Zatanna will be the leader. Been thinking about that villain we saw at the end of Ram V’s last issue, could that have been a redesigned Merlin? Would fit with Merlin being the Big Bad of FS JLD.

Oh and Ram V also said that his 10 page backups for JLD will basically be similar to Seven Soldiers, a bunch of stories that don’t seem connected at first, but all are part of one big story that will come together. He also wants to play around with the structure of the panels the way Morrison has done in their work.

After reading the last issue of DCeased : Dead Planet, I don't want to see Constantine around Zatanna anymore.
    He can make guest appearances but that's all he should be used for. He's a great character but he's the opposite of a team player.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 01-20-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I agree. Why do 90 percent of Zatannas appearances have to be accompanied by Constantine? Get lost.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

I was happy Constantine wasn't a big part of Tynion's JLD and hogging up Zatanna all the time. He just occasionally appeared and the one time he kisses her, she decks him, and that's pretty much it.

Yeah, as someone whose not a Constantine fan I'd rather he and Zatanna be kept away from one another.

Yeah, as someone whose not a Constantine fan I'd rather he and Zatanna be kept away from one another.
    I have no opinion on him, specifically - have never read him (didn't read JLD, since it didn't sound like my thing) . Vertigo flavor (really, almost anything geared towards "mature") jus't isn't my thing, since I like moral good guys and I like them win. I don't really go for Zatanna having a thing for bad boys, as I've seen discussed. Part of it is that I so do not like bad boy characters, but part of it is that I kinda sorta associate with "doomed to fail." Which I kind of associate with that period where Zatanna was a bit of hot mess, which I don't go for. But the two things really don't actually go together. If it's light entertainment with each other, it's a bit different.

Zatanna by Alvaro Martinez Bueno.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AMartinez...61181345603584

I really like this design. I would have liked it more if she had her down instead of in a braid. Alvaro later changed her hair to double braids which was a great improvement. The only other flaw with this design is that it feels really casual. Nothing about it really stands out. Maybe they wanted her to look more like Constantine.

But overall this was a great design because it works well both on stage and in a fight.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 01-22-2021 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Zatanna by Alvaro Martinez Bueno.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AMartinez...61181345603584

I really like this design. I would have liked it more if she had her down instead of in a braid. Alvaro later changed her hair to double braids which was a great improvement. The only other flaw with this design is that it feels really casual. Nothing about it really stands out. Maybe they wanted her to look more like Constantine.

But overall this was a great design because it works well both on stage and in a fight.
    I think it's the casual nature of it that makes it not feel right as her main costume or her stage outfit. Just not flashy or showy enough.

That's why I didn't like Tynion showing her on the stage with it in his first JLD issue.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's the casual nature of it that makes it not feel right as her main costume or her stage outfit. Just not flashy or showy enough.

That's why I didn't like Tynion showing her on the stage with it in his first JLD issue.
    This right here. I also just don't like Zee in braids.

Yeah, I don't mind the fishnets and stage outfit if she is performing on the stage. The bohemian look may work if she is off to do something mundane or if serves the needs of the story. I think her outfits need some kind of pop/glamor to it even if she is trying to avoid the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I have no opinion on him, specifically - have never read him (didn't read JLD, since it didn't sound like my thing) . Vertigo flavor (really, almost anything geared towards "mature") jus't isn't my thing, since I like moral good guys and I like them win. I don't really go for Zatanna having a thing for bad boys, as I've seen discussed. Part of it is that I so do not like bad boy characters, but part of it is that I kinda sorta associate with "doomed to fail." Which I kind of associate with that period where Zatanna was a bit of hot mess, which I don't go for. But the two things really don't actually go together. If it's light entertainment with each other, it's a bit different.
    He was fine in Vertigo-land where they could tell stories that were different from the typical superhero fare. He was almost a foil to regular DC comics. When I got into comics Vertigo was walled off from the rest of the DCU so him 'rejoining' the then-regular DCU almost felt like an intrusion. DCceased, JLD Apocalypse and a good chunk of JLD represents how he's been depicted since; every magic user is somehow an idiot who doesn't know how to use their powers effectively and Constantine is the only one who can save the day usually by either tricking the magic heroes or talking them into playing support for him. If Zatanna is either not searching/mourning for her father, the plots usually involve Constantine either lying/manipulating her (but it's okay because it's for the greater good), Zatanna being mad at him for it but still having to come back to him because she needs his help or infatuated with him. Once you see how Zee was written in Seven Soldiers, Dini's ongoing, various JL stories or how Phantom Stranger was written in pre Nu 52 stories, how Dr Fate is handled in his own stories, all these magical heroes turning into second rate is annoying.

The relationship is supposed to be toxic but I haven't really read any writer addressing it head on and having her move past him. It would be cool if there was a story where Zatanna sees Diana/Steve, Arthur/Mera, Clark/Lois, realizes that she is not getting that from John and breaks up with him for good.