Page 62 of 133 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Paris Cullins Artwork.

ParisCullins.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Paris Cullins Artwork.

ParisCullins.jpg
    Getting kind of close with Blue Devil...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Dancing with the devil in the pale blue light...

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't like jealous Lois. It's petty and beneath her. She should know Clark better than that and know that Zatanna would never take advantage of hm.
    Have you seen Smallville?
    Zatanna made 3 appearances in it. She was played by Serinda Swan. She looked beautiful as Zatanna and I'm grateful that that's what most people remember about her.

In her first appearance, she's like a genie who goes around granting wishes that eventually turn bad. It's obvious that the writers just wanted to do their own version of Freaky Friday. They didn't give a damn about portraying Zatanna as a good person.

Her second appearance was even worse. Zatanna feels attracted to clark so she invites him over to her place. Then she cast a spell "og htiw eht wolf" and clark starts making out with her but before anything major happens, clark snaps out of the spell because "his love for lois is that strong".

Some would say this was a rape attempt if they had went for something more than kissing. But this was clearly a very out of character thing to do for Zatanna. What bothered me most was that everyone just shrugged off the whole incident.

Her third appearance has her send a bottle of champagne to Clark and lois which is spiked with magical roofies.

I hate Smallville. I hate their mischaracterization of Zatanna. But it's the only live action version of her that we have. I'm counting on the movie to portray her right.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 05-28-2021 at 03:24 PM.

Jae Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    I think Zatanna should get a new origin story.
    The one that we have is a single issue of Secret Origin which she shares with her father. It's more of Zatara's origin than Zatanna's. Its also awful.
    Her father goes missing, she read his diary and realizes she can do magic by speaking backwards.
    Then there's Zatanna's Search series where she appears in 4 other titles but they are more focused on the heroes helping Zee rather than Zee doing things by herself.

I want an updated origin story where she goes on an adventure to learn magic rather than learning it by reading a diary.
    Yeah, I agree. Tell the story from her perspective.

Maybe have Madame Xanadu tutor her when her father goes missing and after he dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Just don't call it "Zatanna: Year One" and I'll be happy.
    Hahaha yeah, that kind of title would be cliche at this point. ::slides close the drawer with the manuscript in it::

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I'm right with you. The leather pants/street wear outfit she's been using since JLD relaunched doesn't work for me. I'm glad that most out of continuity works ignore it in favor of her classic design like Truth and Justice or the Round Robin Mini was going to use. I also really liked her Future State outfit and hope they intend to have her switch to it eventually and preferably soon. Or just go back to her classic Stage Magician outfit like other works. Either one would work for me.
    Her outfits need a spark of glamour. The JLD outfits tries too hard to be gothic and that's just not the character.

DCSG does a good job of showing her switching between costumes:

She was a hooker at one point in her past.
    And fought off a rapist until she needed rescuing by a *real man* whom she promptly mounts after he fights off her would-be rapists.

They sort of had a thing:

RCO028_1465375251.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    Have you seen Smallville?
    Zatanna made 3 appearances in it. She was played by Serinda Swan. She looked beautiful as Zatanna and I'm grateful that that's what most people remember about her.

In her first appearance, she's like a genie who goes around granting wishes that eventually turn bad. It's obvious that the writers just wanted to do their own version of Freaky Friday. They didn't give a damn about portraying Zatanna as a good person.

Her second appearance was even worse. Zatanna feels attracted to clark so she invites him over to her place. Then she cast a spell "og htiw eht wolf" and clark starts making out with her but before anything major happens, clark snaps out of the spell because "his love for lois is that strong".

Some would say this was a rape attempt if they had went for something more than kissing. But this was clearly a very out of character thing to do for Zatanna. What bothered me most was that everyone just shrugged off the whole incident.

Her third appearance has her send a bottle of champagne to Clark and lois which is spiked with magical roofies.

I hate Smallville. I hate their mischaracterization of Zatanna. But it's the only live action version of her that we have. I'm counting on the movie to portray her right.
    Don't worry, everyone was too focused on the fishnets to care. :P

I think Serinda Swan was perfectly cast but I agree the character didn't get the best writing. My head canon for SV Zatanna has always been that this was a young and inexperienced Zatanna, early in her journey and who hasn't decided to become a hero yet. Like Clark, she was born with great powers but unlike him, she is a bit spoiled from having that kind of power for all her life.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Hahaha yeah, that kind of title would be cliche at this point. ::slides close the drawer with the manuscript in it::
    More just prefer it when characters origins' had their own unique title rather than just taking Miller's title and making it a brand.

Only seen clips of the show but yeah, I'd like a movie to do something like for her in terms of costumes. It fits her "Vegas show woman" personality.

Her outfits need a spark of glamour. The JLD outfits tries too hard to be gothic and that's just not the character.
    She's probably been so busy with JLD stuff that she hasn't done an actual show in months.

The cartoon definitely captures Zatanna's sense of style well.
    They sort of had a thing:

RCO028_1465375251.jpg
    I gotta say...grabbing his horns in order to pull him into a kiss is actually pretty cute.
    More just prefer it when characters origins' had their own unique title rather than just taking Miller's title and making it a brand.
    Admittedly it's a pretty clear and marketable term for origin stories.

Incredible Member

I like her designs outfits in DCSHG. And the show uses her classic stage magician design, as well as having her superheroine outfit based off of the one from the later half of New 52 JLD which I also thought was quite good, just with the usual animation compromise of using opaque nylons instead of the fishnets. I'm very much a pro-nylons/fishnets kind of person and the leather pants street wear designs just don't feel right. I'd also like for her to adopt her Future State outfit in the near future.

She was a hooker at one point in her past.
    Is that from Come Together? I still have to read it, but I know from the art it looks ... different for her.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zee_Fan View Post
    Is that from Come Together? I still have to read it, but I know from the art it looks ... different for her.
    I think we're just making jokes about how Frank Miller would write her origin. As far I'm aware she's never been a hooker.

I think we're just making jokes about how Frank Miller would write her origin. As far I'm aware she's never been a hooker.
    That makes me feel better.

A good title is a good title regardless of who came up with it. It tells you exactly what the story is about while also carrying a certain level of prestige to it.

Only seen clips of the show but yeah, I'd like a movie to do something like for her in terms of costumes. It fits her "Vegas show woman" personality.
    I find myself watching clips whenever I go down the YT rabbit hole. I like her characterization and use of costumes on the show, my only complaint is the purple hair. It's fine for the show but I don't want it carried over elsewhere.

She's probably been so busy with JLD stuff that she hasn't done an actual show in months.
    Wonder if she will get the itch to perform again once they are done dealing with Etrigan? Her stage history was a huge part of defeating Upside Down Man.

I gotta say...grabbing his horns in order to pull him into a kiss is actually pretty cute.
    I like it too. Especially given how insecure Dan is about his transformation.

That makes me feel better.
    In Come Together she was working behind-the-scenes desk job in the entertainment industry. It was some kind of record label.

DC SHG Zee Zatara strong characterizations is so fresh. Its rare to see snarky sassy Alpha Girl is shown in positive light (usually alpha girl tend to be overly jerk). Sure she love attentions, but She also really care with her friends.
    1557700039886.jpg

I have some head cannon the Zatara family also has fashion and entertainment bussiness xd.

The art at Blue Devil and Zatanna crossover is so clean. The story is pretty done well without Zatanna overshadowing Blue Devil while letting both of them have their part of action. Also genky supes for today
    RCO005_1465372904.jpg
    Last edited by Mai Zen; 05-29-2021 at 05:46 AM.