Page 88 of 133 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1989

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Question: does Z draw more fetishism than other characters?

Somebody above made a comment about writers giving Z relationships as a form of self-insert, and she does seem to have a faster-revolving dude-door than most other characters. Yes, most of her costumes have been (and are) sexually provocative, but no more so than several other female superheroes (markedly less so than some).

Does she get depicted enticingly more than other characters? If so, why?
    I don't think so. I think Starfire is the most fetishized character at DC. Followed by Power Girl and Black Canary who between 2nd and 3rd. After that you get Catwoman and everyone else. PG had whole mini dedicated to explaining her boob window, her ongoing was filled with innuendo's, you can expect a boob joke both in or outside in reaction to any comic she stars in and any one working on the character will likely be asked about it. Black Canary was very sexualized in her JLU appearance even though she kicked ass, was conceived as Carmine Infantino's ideal of an attractive woman but how sexualized she is is dependent on who draws her but there is no real in-universe reasoning for her costume beyond writers thinking that it's hot plus there has always been a debate on how she is often depicted as 'just' Ollie's hot girlfriend. Starfire had a very innuendo filled ongoing recently, how writers depict her casual approach to sex and clothing has caused controversy, recently we had some people throw a stink up because an ultimately benign YA novel didn't depict her daughter as 'hot' and there have been times when writers depict as almost disruptive of the traditional nuclear family like when Buddy kissed her in the 'Last Days of Animal Man' mini while still married and there was that time she stayed with Adam Strange's family and basically jump started his son's puberty. Again, all of it centered on her body, clothing and attitude towards sexuality. Hence, Kory is the most fetishized character at DC.

Zatanna OTOH, doesn't have mini or ongoings centered on her body or dating life at all. Her ongoing was very light on her love life and both her ongoing and JLD were about her fighting magical threats. Seven Soldiers and Everyday Magic touched on her dating life but it was a minor sub plot. I've noticed that people who usually criticize Black Canary and Starfire's costumes, usually don't complain about Zee's outfit. Even female readers some times want to see her in fishnets. I think part of it is due to the fact that the stage outfit is an aspect of her magical act so there is a purpose to it and she is doing it for her own amusement as well. Plus most iterations show her cycling between her stage outfit, casual street wear and sometimes a more 'superhero' attire.

So in conclusion, no, I don't think she is sexualized any more than any other heroine. In fact, it's less than what other heroines get and if we are talking love interests, in terms of numbers, I think Diana has her beat largely due to her 80+ year long existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    Am I missing something? Other than Constantine, Bruce and Necro, when has Zatanna had any noteworthy relationships?

The latter two not even being consistent.

If anything she dates far too little for a woman her age (note I say date, not have sex).
    There was also Dick Grayson in the YJ show. Though I don't think that was wish fullfilment as it was Dick just going well with everybody.

She's had a variety of love interests but there have been times where her interactions with male characters had elements of wish fulfillment:

Like in her early 60's appearances where you had Superman, Hal Jordan and Barry Allen were sometimes fawning over her. (I did like her relationship with Barry though.) Kissing Barry during that one magic show. That one time she enchanted herself to fight like Black Canary which also came with the caveat of her also being attracted to Ollie Queen which was gone once the spell was lifted but she still kissed him volitionally just to mess with him. Her manager Jeff Sloan was definitely a writer insert even though he was a hilarious dude-in-distress. I kind of like her connection to Blue Devil in his ongoing but her kissing him out of blue after the big battle did feel kind of thrown in there. In the Impulse ongoing she was shown being very flirty and touch with Max Mercury. The most egregious is probably Zatanna and Vixen both fighting over Dale; a balding middle aged dude with a neckerchief during JL Detroit days. Then there are moments where writers show her pining over Batman even though in Dini's stuff he showed her having an interest in him but getting over it very quickly.

I don't think her relationship with Constantine counts as wish fulfillment but it is toxic.
    Last edited by John Venus; 08-16-2021 at 01:07 AM.

By underthestarlitsk-y:

By Adam Hughes:

By Chad Hardin:

Des Taylor

^ I love the second one.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    ^ I love the second one.
    Right? I miss Rags at DC. He's supremely talented.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Probably the only modern artist to draw her with earrings (which I always thought was a nice touch):

Bonus:

She looks cute in that jacket .

Tom Derenick

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I miss the classic costume so much.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I don't think so. I think Starfire is the most fetishized character at DC. Followed by Power Girl and Black Canary who between 2nd and 3rd. After that you get Catwoman and everyone else. PG had whole mini dedicated to explaining her boob window, her ongoing was filled with innuendo's, you can expect a boob joke both in or outside in reaction to any comic she stars in and any one working on the character will likely be asked about it. Black Canary was very sexualized in her JLU appearance even though she kicked ass, was conceived as Carmine Infantino's ideal of an attractive woman but how sexualized she is is dependent on who draws her but there is no real in-universe reasoning for her costume beyond writers thinking that it's hot plus there has always been a debate on how she is often depicted as 'just' Ollie's hot girlfriend. Starfire had a very innuendo filled ongoing recently, how writers depict her casual approach to sex and clothing has caused controversy, recently we had some people throw a stink up because an ultimately benign YA novel didn't depict her daughter as 'hot' and there have been times when writers depict as almost disruptive of the traditional nuclear family like when Buddy kissed her in the 'Last Days of Animal Man' mini while still married and there was that time she stayed with Adam Strange's family and basically jump started his son's puberty. Again, all of it centered on her body, clothing and attitude towards sexuality. Hence, Kory is the most fetishized character at DC.

Zatanna OTOH, doesn't have mini or ongoings centered on her body or dating life at all. Her ongoing was very light on her love life and both her ongoing and JLD were about her fighting magical threats. Seven Soldiers and Everyday Magic touched on her dating life but it was a minor sub plot. I've noticed that people who usually criticize Black Canary and Starfire's costumes, usually don't complain about Zee's outfit. Even female readers some times want to see her in fishnets. I think part of it is due to the fact that the stage outfit is an aspect of her magical act so there is a purpose to it and she is doing it for her own amusement as well. Plus most iterations show her cycling between her stage outfit, casual street wear and sometimes a more 'superhero' attire.

So in conclusion, no, I don't think she is sexualized any more than any other heroine. In fact, it's less than what other heroines get and if we are talking love interests, in terms of numbers, I think Diana has her beat largely due to her 80+ year long existence.

There was also Dick Grayson in the YJ show. Though I don't think that was wish fullfilment as it was Dick just going well with everybody.

She's had a variety of love interests but there have been times where her interactions with male characters had elements of wish fulfillment:

Like in her early 60's appearances where you had Superman, Hal Jordan and Barry Allen were sometimes fawning over her. (I did like her relationship with Barry though.) Kissing Barry during that one magic show. That one time she enchanted herself to fight like Black Canary which also came with the caveat of her also being attracted to Ollie Queen which was gone once the spell was lifted but she still kissed him volitionally just to mess with him. Her manager Jeff Sloan was definitely a writer insert even though he was a hilarious dude-in-distress. I kind of like her connection to Blue Devil in his ongoing but her kissing him out of blue after the big battle did feel kind of thrown in there. In the Impulse ongoing she was shown being very flirty and touch with Max Mercury. The most egregious is probably Zatanna and Vixen both fighting over Dale; a balding middle aged dude with a neckerchief during JL Detroit days. Then there are moments where writers show her pining over Batman even though in Dini's stuff he showed her having an interest in him but getting over it very quickly.

I don't think her relationship with Constantine counts as wish fulfillment but it is toxic.
    That a nice summary, I remember reading it somewhere that Zatanna is the first major Superheroine that doesnt show cleavage (but well she trade it with her legs xd). Yeah its kinda fitting for Zatanna to wear her distinctive outfit as it was part of her magic and She love to wear it.

Zatanna love outfits.jpg
    Tom Derenick

I like that part of story. Its kinda wholesome altough bitter sad in the end but I love it showcasing Zatanna inner willpower in which She doesnt fall to the one of her most wishful dream at the beginning of time.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Bob Layton.

BobLaytonZatanna..jpg

Tom Derenick

What story is this from?