Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GA Phantom Lady (Sandra Knight) <orig. from Quality Comics> Appreciation 2021

First appearance: Police Comics #1 (August 1941)

Her final Quality Comics appearance was in Police Comics #23 (October 1943).

From Phantom Lady's first new appearance in the DC Universe, back in Justice League of America #107 (September-October 1973)

Astonishing Member

According to the 1977 DC Calendar, Sandra Knight has a birthday coming up soon -- January 7!

Happy New Year to the Phantom Lady .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I've always liked Phantom Lady and I'm not sure why. She doesn't show up much, but she's cool. Hopefully someone remembers her in 2021.

from Starman #44 (July 1998)

I recently finished reading Marc Andreyko's excellent mid-2000s Manhunter series, where it was revealed that Sandra Knight (who is already a cousin of Ted and Jack Knight, the father-and-son Starmen) is Kate "Manhunter" Spencer's grandmother. Andreyko revealed that Sandra eventually married Arn "Iron" Munro, and they had two boys, one of whom they gave up for adoption before they were married, due to the stigma of unwed mothers in that era. Al Pratt, the Golden Age Atom, accompanied the distraught Sandra to the adoption agency and put his name down as the baby's father, so that child (who would become Kate Spencer's father) had the last name Pratt.

So Phantom Lady has a lot of family connections throughout the DCU.
    Author of the law review article "The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics' Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (2019).
    Download it for free at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3389544

Phantom Lady appeared in Roy Thomas' All-Star Squadron starting with issue #2 (October 1981):

Arrow

I have to ask -

I love how at least half of DC Golden Age characters have bluish-black hair and blue eyes. Clark Kent, Batman, Wonder Woman, exact they all look the damn same. Has anyone else ever noticed this or is it just me?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I have to ask -

I love how at least half of DC Golden Age characters have bluish-black hair and blue eyes. Clark Kent, Batman, Wonder Woman, exact they all look the damn same. Has anyone else ever noticed this or is it just me?
    I've always assumed the "bluish-black hair" was just to make the black hair stand out as separate from actual black (for things like shadows, etc.).
    There were limitations on coloring, especially back in the older days (when comic books were printed on newsprint instead of finer, glossy paper).

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I've always assumed the "bluish-black hair" was just to make the black hair stand out as separate from actual black (for things like shadows, etc.).
    There were limitations on coloring, especially back in the older days (when comic books were printed on newsprint instead of finer, glossy paper).
    It's entirely this. Moreover, it allows the art to show definition. If it was just solid black, their hair has no texture and can contrast a lot (for good or ill) with the line work of the face, clothing and background. Not to mention it becomes a heavy visual draw for the eyes. If intentional, you can use that, but every panel it can disrupt the visual flow of the art. I'm not sure how much of that was really part of the thought process, but if nothing else, the blue tone in their hair did help a lot in just providing the same level of definition to dark-haired characters as it did others.

From Police Comics #2 (September 1941):

From Police Comics #3 (October 1941):

In the series All-Star Squadron, Roy Thomas revealed that Sandra Knight (originally a Quality Comics character) was related to a Golden Age DC Comics character: Starman (Ted Knight).

These pages are from Starman's origin story in All-Star Squadron #41 (January 1985):

Default from Police Comics #4 (November 1941)

From Police Comics #4 (November 1941):