Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    The funny thing about that outfit (it debuted just before Crisis) is that it was actually fire retardant -- because she stated wearing it to fight a villain named Bonfire. But that was just artistic license. As I recall, though, she didn't actually return to her classic outfit in Acton Comics Weekly. It was some derivative that tried to look modern -- but just didn't work.
    Deceptive cover is deceptive.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I tiny part of me misses Dinah being a brunette and wearing a wig to fight crime to conceal her identity. But only a very small part. I still like her in a mask ala Arrow.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But she did get rid of that outfit with the headband.

Have any of the Action comics weekly stories ever been collected?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I tiny part of me misses Dinah being a brunette and wearing a wig to fight crime to conceal her identity. But only a very small part. I still like her in a mask ala Arrow.
    When everyone thinks you're a natural blonde because you wear a wig or dye your hair .

There are times when her dark hair looked better than the blonde hair:

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The unfortunate incident in Longbow Hunters aside, I actually did like the way Dinah was written in the late 80's/early 90's for the most part.
    I'm conflicted. Because that was quite the unfortunate incident and so clearly an example of hurting a male superheroe's female supporting cast to drive narrative and raise stakes. Which I hate in general but particularly for Dinah, who always seems to suffer in her relationships with Ollie.

But it did lead to the whole down-on-her-luck hero thing that was picked up for Birds of Prey which is what started her modern Renaissance and is her own thing away from GA, the JL, and firmly cements the theme of sisterhood into her narrative.

So yeah, I'm conflicted haha.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Congrats on the news, Canary fans.

Thanks. Yay congrads everyone, we getting a Black Canary movie.

Last edited by HunterX; 08-26-2021 at 08:18 AM.

Incredible Member

Hopefully that means DC will put out some more books with our girl Dinah by the time of release.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    I'm conflicted. Because that was quite the unfortunate incident and so clearly an example of hurting a male superheroe's female supporting cast to drive narrative and raise stakes. Which I hate in general but particularly for Dinah, who always seems to suffer in her relationships with Ollie.

But it did lead to the whole down-on-her-luck hero thing that was picked up for Birds of Prey which is what started her modern Renaissance and is her own thing away from GA, the JL, and firmly cements the theme of sisterhood into her narrative.

Initially, Dinah getting tortured was played up for Ollie's angst but in Grell's own run, he had her go through her own recovery arc during which she got her confidence back.

She was down on her luck after their break up and Ollie died in that plane explosion.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Initially, Dinah getting tortured was played up for Ollie's angst but in Grell's own run, he had her go through her own recovery arc during which she got her confidence back.

She was down on her luck after their break up and Ollie died in that plane explosion.
    This is what I mean when I say I ultimately like the way Grell developed her. I enjoyed seeing this mature take on Dinah waffle between wanting to settle down and raise a family with Ollie, and wanting to put the fishnets back on and reclaim her own hero heritage; the latter of which also involved overcoming trauma and PTSD. Her frustrations surrounding these dilemmas were thoughtfully and realistically portrayed, imho. I felt Dixon picked up these threads beautifully in the early BoP outings too.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Does this mean I have to watch the movie now?
    Yes!, it would definitely help in knowing this version of the character. There are plenty of good moments for BC in the movie.

I can see BOP movie getting a bump on hbo max with this news. Likely the streaming views for BOP movie were good thats why we are getting the BC spin off/sequel film.

Last edited by HunterX; 08-26-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    This is what I mean when I say I ultimately like the way Grell developed her. I enjoyed seeing this mature take on Dinah waffle between wanting to settle down and raise a family with Ollie, and wanting to put the fishnets back on and reclaim her own hero heritage; the latter of which also involved overcoming trauma and PTSD. Her frustrations surrounding these dilemmas were thoughtfully and realistically portrayed, imho. I felt Dixon picked up these threads beautifully in the early BoP outings too.
    Also in the New Wings mini by Sarah Byam.

Alan Brennert also handled it very maturely when he recapped Black Canary's origin story in Secret Origins #50.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Also in the New Wings mini by Sarah Byam.

Alan Brennert also handled it very maturely when he recapped Black Canary's origin story in Secret Origins #50.
    An underrated gem, that was!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I also enjoyed the mini by Bedard and Siquiera that came out just prior to the GA/BC series (I think.) I wasn't much of a fan of the 12 issue series by Byam that came out after the New Wings mini.
    As for the new Deathstroke, Inc series....that's definitely an odd pairing. I'm interested....but man, how odd.