Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Birds of Prey with Gail Simone? After learning Johns is going to be on JSA again, maybe they're in the mood for "playing the hits" as it were.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Birds of Prey with Gail Simone? After learning Johns is going to be on JSA again, maybe they're in the mood for "playing the hits" as it were.
    I'd be all for it!

A lot of people crapped on her Brightest Day era return, but I feel like that was mostly sour grapes over the line-up not being exactly what it was before.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Black Canary: Oracle locates some Batman weaponry, missing since The Joker War, and calls in her old friend Dinah Lance to help retrieve it! Fists will fly, the Canary will scream, and a stunning new mission begins. The ending will leave readers in shock and awe!

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Wow! a lot of good stuff coming out of DC's pipeline now that COVID is coming to an end.

Anything with Black Canary on the cover for me is a must buy.

This better be a launchpad for a new Birds of Prey ongoing.

I suspect it's a launchpad for a new Bat-book... that happens to feature Black Canary. :-/
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Black Canary in a bat-book is kind of weird, but I'm guessing they're leaning into the BoP dynamic.

Ah well, gorgeous cover and solo Dinah .

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    This better be a launchpad for a new Birds of Prey ongoing.
    Williamson is writing and he's been teasing writing a green arrow book in the fall, so it's likely a lead into that.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I suspect it's a launchpad for a new Bat-book... that happens to feature Black Canary. :-/
    I would still check it out. :P I'm a Bat fan and I like her interactions with the Bat Family.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Williamson is writing and he's been teasing writing a green arrow book in the fall, so it's likely a lead into that.
    I hope it's not either/or thing. She can be a part of BOP and still be Ollie's partner in a GA book.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

New ongoing series from Co-writers Frank Miller and Brian Azzarello, Black Canary, Concubine of Batman!

The sad thing is I can see that actually being a book.

In any case, DC does seem to think of her as Bat-adjacent because they can't imagine a street hero not being in Gotham. To be fair, BoP is 2/3 Bat characters.

New ongoing series from Co-writers Frank Miller and Brian Azzarello, Black Canary, Concubine of Batman!

The sad thing is I can see that actually being a book.

In any case, DC does seem to think of her as Bat-adjacent because they can't imagine a street hero not being in Gotham. To be fair, BoP is 2/3 Bat characters.
    A good chunk of BoP was also set in Gotham one way or another, so...it's not that off-base.

That technically didn't happen until Simone. Despite being *the* Bat-writer for most of the 90's, Dixon managed to make his run NOT feel like a Bat-book (occasional guest star not withstanding).

Once that little yellow emblem starting appearing in the corner of the cover, it was all over. The BoP have been stranded in Gotham ever since!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

From World's Finest Comics #244. Michael Netzer splash page in B&W.

BCMichaelNetzer.jpg

Incredible Member

That technically didn't happen until Simone. Despite being *the* Bat-writer for most of the 90's, Dixon managed to make his run NOT feel like a Bat-book (occasional guest star not withstanding).

Once that little yellow emblem starting appearing in the corner of the cover, it was all over. The BoP have been stranded in Gotham ever since!
    I guess that's a testament to her seemingly perennial B-list status. As much as I wish and think she can and should be A-list DC either has her as a supporting character in a Green Arrow book and even co-headlining a team book, BoP is so easily associated with Batman because of the primarily Gotham setting and Barbara and Helena. Hell, when she's not in GA or BoP, she's in JL, but that's also a team book where she fights for the cast and villains for panel time.

I personally dug her DC You series even though I think many of her fans didn't. I appreciated the weird stuff Fletcher and team were trying to do with her Cry. It's so often just a generic sonic/concussive boom thing when I think the concept could be expanded.

Oh well, I'm excited for her story in Urban Legends and hopefully something is spun out of it for her and Bendis AND Williamson have brought her up in recent interviews so I'm confident our girl will get some more shine coming her way soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    I guess that's a testament to her seemingly perennial B-list status. As much as I wish and think she can and should be A-list DC either has her as a supporting character in a Green Arrow book and even co-headlining a team book, BoP is so easily associated with Batman because of the primarily Gotham setting and Barbara and Helena. Hell, when she's not in GA or BoP, she's in JL, but that's also a team book where she fights for the cast and villains for panel time.

I personally dug her DC You series even though I think many of her fans didn't. I appreciated the weird stuff Fletcher and team were trying to do with her Cry. It's so often just a generic sonic/concussive boom thing when I think the concept could be expanded.

Oh well, I'm excited for her story in Urban Legends and hopefully something is spun out of it for her and Bendis AND Williamson have brought her up in recent interviews so I'm confident our girl will get some more shine coming her way soon.
    I appreciate the novelty of the DC You series even if it didn't really leave that memorable an impression on me by the end.

I did love how even in some fantasy AU vision of the future she still somehow ends up with Ollie. And this is before she even actually met him .