Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I think Marvel doesn't need another writer who pens characters like Blue Marvel as if they are flying bricks. But something tells me neither one of us will get what we want in that regard.
    He has extra molecular powers which could set him apart but I get the sense that's not really a big focus.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Guardian of Good View Post
    I really dislike this type of criticism. Marvel doesn't need more telepaths, speedsters, reality warpers, Spider-Men, Hulks, Symbiotes(dont even get me started), etc, etc.

And yes.... Marvel NEEDS... No... COMICS IN GENERL NEEDS a BLACK powerhouse thats on the level of Superman...
    What do you mean? I notice a lot of Black heroes not based on previous ones all have the most generic superpowers. How many Black telepaths, reality warpers, or heroes with intangibility or invisibility are there? Because I mostly see generic super strength, flight, or even no powers at all when it comes to 'original' Black heroes. The White heroes get all the variety, so I don't think your comparison makes a lot of sense. I'd rather see something unique than another powerhouse

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    What do you mean? I notice a lot of Black heroes not based on previous ones all have the most generic superpowers. How many Black telepaths, reality warpers, or heroes with intangibility or invisibility are there? Because I mostly see generic super strength, flight, or even no powers at all when it comes to 'original' Black heroes. The White heroes get all the variety, so I don't think your comparison makes a lot of sense. I'd rather see something unique than another powerhouse
    A majority of black heroes don't even come close to S+ level, and if they do then they don't get utilized much/at all (Green Lantern is the exception), which kinda says something about the industry. Having Blue be more prominent doesn't mean we can't also build up the heroes with more under utilized powersets.

For whatever reason, black males tend to have electric powers, I think it has something to do with Black Lightning's rights, which forced DC's stuff to create rip offs of him when they wanted to use Black Lightning.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    A majority of black heroes don't even come close to S+ level, and if they do then they don't get utilized much/at all (Green Lantern is the exception), which kinda says something about the industry. Having Blue be more prominent doesn't mean we can't also build up the heroes with more under utilized powersets.
    Of course, but heroes don't necessarily need to be Superman-type heroes to be S level, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    For whatever reason, black males tend to have electric powers, I think it has something to do with Black Lightning's rights, which forced DC's stuff to create rip offs of him when they wanted to use Black Lightning.
    It's an odd trope IMO. It would be nice if Black heroes didn't have to follow some kind of trope.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

He has extra molecular powers which could set him apart but I get the sense that's not really a big focus.
    That's just it: Adam's molecular powers aren't "extra." His ability to generate nearly unlimited amounts of antimatter and manipulate antiparticles really is his primary ability. Everything else flows from that.

There are any number of applications for that incomprehensible level of energy output. But that would require the writers to first think about what a genius with that kind of power would do. And it requires them to actually show Adam doing it.

When you consider that most writers aren't trying to show Adam as an elite character, what you get is the dumbed down, passive, almost doddering flying brick. One smart enough to create his own portal technology network, but somehow too stupid to recognize a worm hole when he sees it. One who can go toe to toe with Sentry, Anti-Man and King Hyperion, but who apparently can be body slammed by a woman who doesn't even have superhuman strength. (And no, I'm not buying a judo move that entails using someone's own body weight and momentum against them. Not when a person can lift a billion times his own body weight, survive the overpressures of deep space, or easily stop and redirect the momentum of large meteors. Stopping himself from being moved in any direction by a normal human being would take no effort at all.) One powerful enough to empower Captain Marvel so that she can matter and deliver the coup de grace to Thanos, but not one powerful, deliberate, or courageous enough to deliver that blow himself. It's laughable...except that it's really not.

It took Marvel/Timely almost 70 years to finally create a character exactly like Blue Marvel. And yet, some 14 years later, I'm still waiting for them to get out of their own way and let the character be great.

Extraordinary Member

And don't forget he is one of those super-genius types as well.

And this is why I should probably read to the end before responding...

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    That's just it: Adam's molecular powers aren't "extra." His ability to generate nearly unlimited amounts of antimatter and manipulate antiparticles really is his primary ability. Everything else flows from that.

There are any number of applications for that incomprehensible level of energy output. But that would require the writers to first think about what a genius with that kind of power would do. And it requires them to actually show Adam doing it.

When you consider that most writers aren't trying to show Adam as an elite character, what you get is the dumbed down, passive, almost doddering flying brick. One smart enough to create his own portal technology network, but somehow too stupid to recognize a worm hole when he sees it. One who can go toe to toe with Sentry, Anti-Man and King Hyperion, but who apparently can be body slammed by a woman who doesn't even have superhuman strength. (And no, I'm not buying a judo move that entails using someone's own body weight and momentum against them. Not when a person can lift a billion times his own body weight, survive the overpressures of deep space, or easily stop and redirect the momentum of large meteors. Stopping himself from being moved in any direction by a normal human being would take no effort at all.) One powerful enough to empower Captain Marvel so that she can matter and deliver the coup de grace to Thanos, but not one powerful, deliberate, or courageous enough to deliver that blow himself. It's laughable...except that it's really not.

It took Marvel/Timely almost 70 years to finally create a character exactly like Blue Marvel. And yet, some 14 years later, I'm still waiting for them to get out of their own way and let the character be great.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 11-11-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Idk Marvel wouldn't want to push their own "Black Superman", it's an archetype that has never truly been done long term and it would bring a lot more positive attention their way (with good writing obviously), but could you imagine if they pulled off a successful film? That's literally printing money.
    If they're worried about writing the sciencey part of the character, why don't they grab a former Fantastic Four writer and see what they can do.
    I agree I think this has something to do with Marvel's sudden hard on for Carol as THE "Super-person" of the MU coupled with the long standing Hulk/Thor strongest in the world status quo.

Of course, but heroes don't necessarily need to be Superman-type heroes to be S level, do they?

It's an odd trope IMO. It would be nice if Black heroes didn't have to follow some kind of trope.
    However, it would also be nice to see earth's heroes be in a pinch with the need for a heavy hitter and a brother takes center stage instead of default to thor or Hulk.

You can easily have BOTH! And fact is there aren't even that many BLACK powerhouses. More importantly, Blue Marvel's powers are unique. His powers are flipping anti-matter.... How many heros do you see have the power of anti-matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    Idk Marvel wouldn't want to push their own "Black Superman", it's an archetype that has never truly been done long term and it would bring a lot more positive attention their way (with good writing obviously), but could you imagine if they pulled off a successful film? That's literally printing money.
    If they're worried about writing the sciencey part of the character, why don't they grab a former Fantastic Four writer and see what they can do.
    I agree I think this has something to do with Marvel's sudden hard on for Carol as THE "Super-person" of the MU coupled with the long standing Hulk/Thor strongest in the world status quo.
    Someone gets it. You know how powerful it would feel for Black ppl to see Blue Marvel taking on the Hulk or Thor? It would be badass. A BLACK hero able to go blows to blows with Thor or Hulk.

Extraordinary Member

Anybody here see eternals and the overpowered super heroes there like makkari,ikaris,phastos,gilgamesh etc..?
    I can't spoiled the movie here,there is a spoiler thread for that.
    Great movie.
    Last edited by mace11; 11-12-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Anybody here see eternals and the overpowered super heroes there like makkari,ikaris,phastos,gilgamesh etc..?
    I can't spoiled the movie here,there is a spoiler thread for that.
    Great movie.
    Honestly, I'm waiting for the movie to come to Disney+. Not particularly hyped about watching the movie any time soon. I still haven't gotten around to watching Black Widow or Shang Chi.

So what's the plan with this guy is he going to be in anything in the near future or is he on ice?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    So what's the plan with this guy is he going to be in anything in the near future or is he on ice?
    He didn't appear at all this year. I haven't seen any releases to indicate that he'll participate in any events or story arcs next year. With the same group of writers basically getting the lion's share of Marvel's work, it's going to be another quiet year for Blue Marvel fans.