Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    LOL! You guys are killing me. Black Panther isn't African American. He's Wakandan. He's technically only able to legally operate in the US at the blessing of the State Department. That also means that in some states T'Challa can't even make a citizen's arrest. Anyone he apprehended would be released, if they had even a Trump lawyer representing them in court. But...comics.

I want to focus strictly on the African American experience, womb to the tomb, cradle to the grave, so to speak. Luke Cage, Falcon are probably locks, since both are fairly popular in the fictional universe. Bishop might be a good one, although like Adam, I'm not sure that anyone sees him as an icon. I wish there was a way to merge Bishop and Isaiah Bradley into a single character. The past and the future combined.
    Lol, oh so you trying to be the most today huh! Okay, I'm game.

Adam Brashear

Luke Cage

War Machine

Bishop...come on, you gotta give us him. America is where he was raised, and he only ever claimed the US.
    Last edited by dkrook; 01-16-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Ultimate Member

LOL! You guys are killing me. Black Panther isn't African American. He's Wakandan. He's technically only able to legally operate in the US at the blessing of the State Department. That also means that in some states T'Challa can't even make a citizen's arrest. Anyone he apprehended would be released, if they had even a Trump lawyer representing them in court. But...comics.

I want to focus strictly on the African American experience, womb to the tomb, cradle to the grave, so to speak. Luke Cage, Falcon are probably locks, since both are fairly popular in the fictional universe. Bishop might be a good one, although like Adam, I'm not sure that anyone sees him as an icon. I wish there was a way to merge Bishop and Isaiah Bradley into a single character. The past and the future combined.
    Ouch! Then I'd swap him for Falcon. The problem is that there's lot's of interesting African American heroes at Marvel but not that many are "icons".

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Lol, oh so you trying to be the most today huh! Okay, I'm game.

Adam Brashear

Luke Cage

War Machine

Bishop...come on, you gotta give us him. America is where he was raised, and he only ever claimed the US.
    Ha ha! Not trying to be a pain, I just wanted to mirror as close as possible the characters of One Night in Miami. The writers could have used someone like Nelson Mandela or Steve Biko, but they wanted to focus on the uniquely African American experience.

I excluded Bishop, because the way they frame the X-men it's like the mutant experience is supposed to be far worse than the racism and hatred that African Americans, members of the LGBTQ community and other minorities face. I think it's wrongheaded, but I'll let them have it. That's why Bishop, Synch, and others weren't considered.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The problem is that there's lot's of interesting African American heroes at Marvel but not that many are "icons".
    You are absolutely correct about that. And it's sad. Most of the African American heroes (men) are only seen as icons in their own community. The Falcon is the only one who really had a chance to break through, but that's mostly because of time spent with Captain America and/or borrowing the mantle of Captain America. Still, I wanted to at least try to put four guys in the room who could be seen as iconic.

In a perfect world, Marvel would bend over backwards to ensure that someone like Adam Brashear was seen in that light. But I don't think it will ever happen.

I just finished watching One Night in Miami. For those that are unfamiliar, it's a movie centering on 4 men -- Sam Cooke, Malcolm X, Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) and Jim Brown -- all legendary African-American icons sitting down for a moment of reflection on an historic evening during the 1960s. Not that Adam Brashear is anywhere near icon status, but if you were writing this story for him, who would you choose to be the other 3 African-American comic book icons in the room?
    Falcon, Misty Knight, and Luke Cage
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member

Isaiah Bradley, Adam Brashear, Gabe Jones, Ezekiel Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Isaiah Bradley, Adam Brashear, Gabe Jones, Ezekiel Wright
    I have Ezekiel dialed up as part of my Mystery Men fanfiction revamp. I'm still trying to think of ways to give him real powers and not make him too much like DC's Spectre. He's definitely a character that I'd like to see Marvel reintroduce and explore.

Last edited by Agent Z; 01-18-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Amazing Member

Anybody else peep what Monica Rambeau said in the last episode of Wanda Vision? Monica knows an aero space engineer up for the challenge of designing a vehicle capable of getting back into the dome. Could this be Adam's big entrance? Who else do you all think it could be?

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon jiren View Post
    Anybody else peep what Monica Rambeau said in the last episode of Wanda Vision? Monica knows an aero space engineer up for the challenge of designing a vehicle capable of getting back into the dome. Could this be Adam's big entrance? Who else do you all think it could be?
    If they have to stretch characterization and introduce Adam as an aeronautical engineer, that's fine. But I doubt it's him. I think it will be someone like Phastos from the Eternals, or a totally unexpected character like Riri Williams.

The more I think about it, Riri would be perfect. Yes, she's a kid, but she's a genius. Portraying her as an aeronautical engineer could be considered a nod to the brilliant and widely celebrated African American women that worked as mathematicians for NASA during the 1960s space race. Women like Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson and Dorothy Vaughan. It would also portray Monica in a "big sister" role for Riri. And since Riri is getting her own show next year, introducing her now would be a good way to introduce her to a new viewing audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon jiren View Post
    Hmmm...It's a stretch, but there's a chance that it could be him. Maybe there's been some tweaks to the origins. If it means we get Adam, and a set for him, then I'm all in.

Random off topic non sequiturs...

Not sure if anyone here is watching the second impeachment trial, but it was an interesting day for blue, thematically speaking.

In the diagrams, Capitol Police Officer Eugene Goodman was represented by "the blue dot" in the graphics. Considering the lives that he saved, the man is clearly a marvel.

And then there's Congresswoman Plaskett flying in from the Virgin Islands, resplendent in blue, cape and all. Marvel keeps pushing Hyperion as its Superman, but it would make for an interesting change of pace to have their super analog be a Black woman. Maybe 20 years from now we'll get a Heroes Reborn event like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Extraordinary Member

Damn. It looks like Blue Marvel’s out and Doom is in!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Damn. It looks like Blue Marvel’s out and Doom is in!
    When was Blue Marvel ever in?

Extraordinary Member

When was Blue Marvel ever in?
    There was speculation that one of the unrevealed members of of the new GotG could have been Blue Marvel. Due to Ewing writing Adam in Mighty Avengers and Ultimates.