Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Post Blue Marvel - Adam Brashear Appreciation 2021

Happy New Year everyone!! I didn't see a Blue Marvel Thread for 2021 yet so here you go.
    Adam_Brashear_(Earth-616)_from_Ultimates_Vol_2_1_cover_001.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Al Ewing did such a good job writing him years back. Hopefully a solo in 2021 at least a mini-series.

I’d love for Marvel to snatch John Ridley up and have him do a Blue Marvel mini or maxi series. I think back to that Mighty Avengers issue that pegged him as the “Explorer of the Impossible” and that’s such a fun hook. Having him going around dealing with cosmic multiversal threats or just exploring the Neutral Zone. Next in line would be Dan Abnett as he’s proven he can do big concepts and sci-fi pretty well.

Here’s hoping 2021 brings some good things for Adam!

I still say draft him on Squadron Supreme.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

A 6 - 8 issue limited series would be nice. We've gone through all of 2020 without seeing Adam and Monica on panel together as far as I know, so it's probably time for a status update on that front.

I think it's time for Adam to be taken in a new direction, but they definitely need to establish his role/niche in the Marvel pantheon. Initially Cantwell was on the right track by bringing in Adam to help solve the unsolvable, but the execution was a big let down and with the series wrapping up abruptly, the wheels came off completely towards the end. I'd like to see a better outcome, should Adam get a new finite series. He doesn't have to singlehandedly solve global warming, but a big win would be nice.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    A 6 - 8 issue limited series would be nice. We've gone through all of 2020 without seeing Adam and Monica on panel together as far as I know, so it's probably time for a status update on that front.

I think it's time for Adam to be taken in a new direction, but they definitely need to establish his role/niche in the Marvel pantheon. Initially Cantwell was on the right track by bringing in Adam to help solve the unsolvable, but the execution was a big let down and with the series wrapping up abruptly, the wheels came off completely towards the end. I'd like to see a better outcome, should Adam get a new finite series. He doesn't have to singlehandedly solve global warming, but a big win would be nice.
    Agreed. Actually, I wouldn't mind if had an alternate universe Blue Marvel where he didn't capitulate to Kennedy. Of course it wouldn't end all the racism of that era but at least we know he didn't give up.

Also, slightly unrelated thought, is Adam like Jor el if Jor el had escaped kyprton with Kal and Lara to earth, becoming a super powered human with a genius intellect?

Hmmmmmmmmm...thinking...

I'm not the biggest fan of the military industrial complex, but I will confess that from a public relations and marketing standpoint the armed services hits a grand slam whenever they drive home the talking point that Americans enjoy their freedoms in large part due to the invisible blanket of protection provided by our global defense. I'd like to steal that nugget -- "the invisible blanket of protection" -- and apply it thematically to a superhero team headed up by Adam Brashear.

In another thread I stated that I'd like to see Marvel revive the 1940s crimefighting team called the Mystery Men. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea that the Mystery Men never ceased their activities. In fact, they've remained engaged from the '40s to the present day. It's just that their missions and team roster have deliberately been kept off-book, because secrecy is the only safeguard. I mean we've already seen how unhinged the general populace becomes when people discovered that a Black man was the most powerful being on the planet during the 1960s. They can't handle the truth. Best to let the Mystery Men operate discreetly.

Adam seems like a natural fit for the Mystery Men with its classic Justice Society of America-type Golden Age feel. Despite Kennedy's executive order still being enforced, founding members of the original Mystery Men team reach out to Adam, winning him over when they assure him that their powers and technology ensure absolute secrecy. Adam takes a chance and joins the cabal of champions. From 1962 to the present no one outside of the group ever finds out that Adam was a member of the Mystery Men.

"Can you keep a secret?" A simple interrogatory, but a clarion call for recruitment to the Mystery Men. Who do you invite to the team? (Or for that matter, who do you think could have been secret members all along?) I have a few ideas, but I mainly want a team made up of characters who spend far too much time wasting away in publishing limbo:

1. The Revenant (the soul of Ezekial Wright resurrected in a powerful new form and charged by Master Order with the task of bringing balance to this most important sector of the multiverse)
    2. The Blue Marvel
    3. Tamara Devoux (formerly Captain Universe; single mom; terminally ill; indomitable spirit)
    4. Miracleman (it's time Marvel used him for something)
    5. Puma
    6. The Surgeon (can never go wrong with a disfigured genius...especially one crazy enough to inject himself with experimental compounds that somehow miraculously prolong his life)

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon jiren View Post
    Agreed. Actually, I wouldn't mind if had an alternate universe Blue Marvel where he didn't capitulate to Kennedy. Of course it wouldn't end all the racism of that era but at least we know he didn't give up.
    Writers often create cages for their characters. They may not be logical cages. Adam didn't give up per se. He was faced with a legally binding proclamation. Being a hero and not a criminal, Adam felt he had to comply. Not because the president left him no choice, but because the writer left him no choice.

But here's the catch: Presidential executive orders (EO) are not eternally binding. They can be modified or revoked entirely and generally are terminated when the newly incoming president takes office. (Just wait and see how quickly President Elect Biden revokes all of President Trump's EO's in a few weeks, if you doubt me. LOL) As I've alluded to on a number of occasions, there are multiple problems with Grevioux' origin story for Blue Marvel. I get that JFK felt that he needed to issue the EO. But that doesn't explain why President Lyndon Baines Johnson didn't amend or repeal that EO when he took office in 1963. JFK's excuse was that they needed to retire Adam in order to get the Civil Rights Act passed. Well, thanks to strong support from LBJ, the Civil Rights Act was passed in 1964 with the Voting Rights Act being passed in 1965. So can someone please tell me again why Adam was still retired???? No, I don't get it, either. And even if LBJ did nothing, President Nixon was also by and large sympathetic to civil rights reforms. He'd sign the Voting Rights Act of 1970, as well as the Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972. It's really hard to believe that even in a fictional universe the presidents subsequent to Kennedy would leave the EO in place. It doesn't make sense. Grevioux is a very smart man, but maybe history or political science were outside of his bailiwick?

Also, slightly unrelated thought, is Adam like Jor el if Jor el had escaped kyprton with Kal and Lara to earth, becoming a super powered human with a genius intellect?
    As for Jor El, I think it's easy to see comparisons between Adam and many of the Superman mythos characters, including, of course, characters like Icon. Again, for better or worse, we have Grevioux to thank for that. But for every similarity, there are even more differences. For example, Adam isn't an alien. Secondly, Adam's powers aren't the result of an otherwise natural physiological process. As far as I know all Kryptonians (and Daxamites, too, for that matter) will gain superhuman abilities when exposed to a yellow sun. That's not the case with Adam. His powers were the result of his bodily molecules being transformed due to exposure to the matter-antimatter event horizon. I would go even further and speculate that Adam's body is an incomplete mirror of the positive matter and antimatter co-existence principle that exists in the Neutral Zone. Only instead of the positive matter and antimatter fusing together to form a next level state of existence, Adam's form is kind of a makeshift, jury-rigged version of Neutral Zone matter. Who knows, maybe at some point down the road we'll see Adam evolve into that next level state of matter. But my point is that the event that created Adam and Conner Sims was lethal to others nearby. This is not a case where everyone in the immediate vicinity gained powers naturally, like every Kryptonian would gain powers naturally if exposed to a yellow sun. Fate was very selective that day for Adam Brashear and Conner Sims.

All that said, if it helps you to better relate to Adam by seeing him through the lens of Jor El or whomever, I say go for it. As much as I like Adam, I know that I'm guilty of constantly wanting to reframe him, if not reimagine him altogether.

Happy New Year to Adam .

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmm...thinking...

I'm not the biggest fan of the military industrial complex, but I will confess that from a public relations and marketing standpoint the armed services hits a grand slam whenever they drive home the talking point that Americans enjoy their freedoms in large part due to the invisible blanket of protection provided by our global defense. I'd like to steal that nugget -- "the invisible blanket of protection" -- and apply it thematically to a superhero team headed up by Adam Brashear.

In another thread I stated that I'd like to see Marvel revive the 1940s crimefighting team called the Mystery Men. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea that the Mystery Men never ceased their activities. In fact, they've remained engaged from the '40s to the present day. It's just that their missions and team roster have deliberately been kept off-book, because secrecy is the only safeguard. I mean we've already seen how unhinged the general populace becomes when people discovered that a Black man was the most powerful being on the planet during the 1960s. They can't handle the truth. Best to let the Mystery Men operate discreetly.

Adam seems like a natural fit for the Mystery Men with its classic Justice Society of America-type Golden Age feel. Despite Kennedy's executive order still being enforced, founding members of the original Mystery Men team reach out to Adam, winning him over when they assure him that their powers and technology ensure absolute secrecy. Adam takes a chance and joins the cabal of champions. From 1962 to the present no one outside of the group ever finds out that Adam was a member of the Mystery Men.

"Can you keep a secret?" A simple interrogatory, but a clarion call for recruitment to the Mystery Men. Who do you invite to the team? (Or for that matter, who do you think could have been secret members all along?) I have a few ideas, but I mainly want a team made up of characters who spend far too much time wasting away in publishing limbo:

1. The Revenant (the soul of Ezekial Wright resurrected in a powerful new form and charged by Master Order with the task of bringing balance to this most important sector of the multiverse)
    2. The Blue Marvel
    3. Tamara Devoux (formerly Captain Universe; single mom; terminally ill; indomitable spirit)
    4. Miracleman (it's time Marvel used him for something)
    5. Puma
    6. The Surgeon (can never go wrong with a disfigured genius...especially one crazy enough to inject himself with experimental compounds that somehow miraculously prolong his life)
    This os a cool idea. Not sure who would be on the team but I like this idea and the name. Maybe a solid 7-8 man Team with 3 rotational spots?

I personally (just given the dynamic) would throw BM as the lead and have T'Challa be a occasional rotational member as I feel that these are two very powerful Black men who have the potential for a world's finest Batman/Superman dynamic that was never explored with the opportunity presented itself (Ewings ultimates) that I think could be very fun.

Again I would make T'Challa rotational as you said this team is supposed to be primarily limbo characters but I think he fits alot of teams and secrecy is one of his strong points so they wouldn't worry about their name getting out

Amazing Member

Not sure if everyone saw Sylvester Stallone's set pic of his new super hero movie but it got me thinking. If Sly can do an action movie at 72 years old then can't Denzel at 66 be Blue Marvel?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon jiren View Post
    Not sure if everyone saw Sylvester Stallone's set pic of his new super hero movie but it got me thinking. If Sly can do an action movie at 72 years old then can't Denzel at 66 be Blue Marvel?
    It depends if Denzel wants to be a franchise type guy. Which he never has been. The only exception is The Equalizer and The Equalizer 2.

Stallone on the other hand has done so many Rambo and Rocky franchise films.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    It depends if Denzel wants to be a franchise type guy. Which he never has been. The only exception is The Equalizer and The Equalizer 2.

In many ways Rocky and Rambo were variations on the superhero theme, if you think about it. I mean Rocky fought a god in Apollo, a Hulk-like rampaging force of nature in Clubber Lang, and a Russian Super Soldier in Ivan Drago. So Stallone taking on the role of Samaritan should be right in his wheelhouse. Maybe there will be more special effects involved, but this is basically typecasting. I'm not knocking it -- Stallone is a damn good actor. The movie should do well.

Whether or not Denzel does a superhero movie at this stage of his career is totally up to him. He's still highly sought after and he's somehow managed to avoid the pitfall of being an old actor riding the coat tails of younger celebrities in movies. Every movie Denzel is in is still his movie, no matter who else is cast. I honestly think we have a better chance of seeing his son, John David, cast as Blue Marvel than Denzel.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

If Denzel & Spike Lee could team up for a Blue Marvel film or "prestige" mini-series, that could be intriguing.

Extraordinary Member

Rumor: Marvel Studios Looking To Include Blue Marvel In Agents of S.W.O.R.D. Show
    https://www.newsbreak.com/news/16157...-of-sword-show

P.J Black quote-
    Denzel Washington as Blue Marvel make it happen Marvel

I think denzel washington is too old to play blue marvel.
    I think John Boyega, Lyriq Bent or idris elba could play blue marvel in the future or next couple of years.They look more like him even more.Of course blue marvel like all comicbook superheroes have been drawn varied ways of the years but he has certain consistent type of basic look/s in comics.
    I think others that could play blue marvel are Andrew Stewart-Jones from the gotham show,Trevante Rhodes, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and David Oyelowo and Micaheal Jai

David Ajala could play blue marvel.

In 2018 Ajala was cast in season 4 of Supergirl, portraying Manchester Black.
    In October 2019, he joined the regular cast of season three of Star Trek: Discovery.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2916966/

Stephan James (actor)
    Could play the blue marvel as well.

Derek Luke who played Gabe Jones in the first captain america big screen movie.
    They could just recast and play blue marvel.

Some other actors for blue marvel are Hisham Tawfiq from Black List.

https://forums.superherohype.com/thr...552175/page-13

David Oyelowo on potential ava duvernay marvel movie everything she touches she-elevates
    But the actor hesitated at the prospect of donning a superhero costume himself.
    “For me personally, I tread with caution around the notion of those kinds of characters,” he said. “Depending on which one of them you’re playing, there’s always a danger you’re going to get so identified with this larger than life character, that it could become tougher for audiences to believe you in other roles.”
    “I think she’s going to take it in directions that are both exciting and provocative, and different to what you’ve seen thus far,” he said. “It’s always going to be a Marvel movie, but she is so singular as a director that I think her, plus that brand is an exciting idea.”
    “For me it’s such a blessing that ‘Nightingale’ is coming out after ‘Selma,'” he said. “As much of a blessing as it was for me to play Dr. King, I don’t want to be solely recognized as having played him. I want to play lots of different characters so ‘Nightingale’ feels like the diametric opposite of Dr. King. So yes, I don’t know that I’m going to be in a hurry to play a superhero for those reasons.”
    https://www.thewrap.com/david-oyelow...-she-elevates/

Which Marvel Superhero Should John Boyega Play in the MCU
    https://nerdist.com/john-boyega-marvel-superhero/
    Idris Elba Wants A More Prominent Role In The MCU - MCUExchange
    https://mcuexchange.com/idris-elba-bigger-role-mcu/
    Last edited by mace11; 01-14-2021 at 03:14 PM.