Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Is blue marvel's backstory okay or do you think it needs to be changed in the possible adaptation?
    I think it depends on the creative parties. the one part that stands out to me is that it is Pres. John F. Kennedy who asks/convinces Brashear to "retire"; in real life he's been revealed to have been sympathetic but severely cautious in his approach to the civil rights movement.. I'm not sure whether Disney/Marvel execs would want a real person (fictionalized, of course) to play such a pivotal role in one of their fantasy features.. [imagine the pushback from folks feeling that JFK was unfairly maligned as an obstructionist bureaucrat; not to mention the responses from contemporary Kennedy family members]..
    Aside from the backdrop of an implied Roosevelt in Cap's World War 2 era, I'm not sure how many real presidents have been hinted to have served in the MCU's United States.. obviously the guy in Iron Man 3 was fictional. Maybe there have been throwaway lines about Nixon, Reagan, Carter? I'm not sure...

But who knows? the story would be bold if adapted "as is"...

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon jiren View Post
    I was saying earlier that Adam should be introduced outside of the main 616 universe. That way we could bring back Stark and other avengers died off during end game. You could even cast the avengers with different actors. Any thoughts?
    I am generally not in favor of segregating Adam from the main stars of the MCU in that fashion. I feel the same way about the comic fiction, although I'd be willing to entertain a limited series where either 616 Adam went to an alternate universe for an indeterminately long period to deal with a crisis (and character build), or an alternate universe (AU) Adam came to 616 to deal with a crisis that impacted both universes and primarily serve as a foil for 616 Adam.

In the latter story, AU Adam would obviously be the version of Adam who "honored" the Executive Order by leaving the US, thus setting the stage for him to become that Earth's preeminent hero, despite the US initially not permitting him to operate within its borders or territories until President Nixon dismissed Kennedy's Executive Order. Yes, Nixon. (The running joke there would be that fear is a real mutha****, especially when it takes hold at the highest level of government. It can make a good president do bad things, and a bad president do some good. )
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Is blue marvel's backstory okay or do you think it needs to be changed in the possible adaptation?
    The simple answer is yes, they would change some aspect of Blue Marvel's origin story. I think that question has already been answered in some ways. When Ewing took on Blue Marvel, he made several departures from the Grevioux origin story.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think your circumstances are vastly different from Wanda's, just saying. And no one's saying what she did was okay (minus the usual oddballs).
    If you're cheering Wanda, yes, you are saying it was ok.

It's as simple as this. Police are not allowed to have a bad day, no matter what else is happening in their lives. When they do, and if they cause harm to the public, the community does everything in its power to ensure that they are brought to account and the incident never happens again. The community definitely isn't giving standing ovations when a cop causes a crisis, ends it, and then walks away with a meek apology to those he/she harmed. We're not saying, "Wow, what a great story that was!" on its merits. Heroes should be held to an even greater standard, or they're not heroes. That's all I'm saying.

That aside, I'm betting at some point they'll establish that Wanda was operating under the influence of the Darkhold. Funny. They're setting the stage for Dark Wanda. Or at least Darkchilde Wanda. Poor X-men folks can't catch a break.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    If you're cheering Wanda, yes, you are saying it was ok.

It's as simple as this. Police are not allowed to have a bad day, no matter what else is happening in their lives. When they do, and if they cause harm to the public, the community does everything in its power to ensure that they are brought to account and the incident never happens again. The community definitely isn't giving standing ovations when a cop causes a crisis, ends it, and then walks away with a meek apology to those he/she harmed. We're not saying, "Wow, what a great story that was!" on its merits. Heroes should be held to an even greater standard, or they're not heroes. That's all I'm saying.

That aside, I'm betting at some point they'll establish that Wanda was operating under the influence of the Darkhold. Funny. They're setting the stage for Dark Wanda. Or at least Darkchilde Wanda. Poor X-men folks can't catch a break.
    Again, understanding and cheering are two different things. It's not as if Wanda's powers are standard fair, or what she experienced, were in any way normal

I’m sure there will be a few changes to his backstory when he his adapted.

Some I see happing : Adam & Connor are friends growing & re-meet in the us military.
    Adam also be shown to have black friends or fam growning up (probably a younger bro) who upset with him standing down & Adam will have to deal with pain of his young bro/friends aging/dieing will he does not.

The government threatened or does kill/jail lg amount of incorrect black ppl if Adam doesn’t stand down.

Kevin may doesn't get trap in the Nzone if so then Max doesn’t go the villain/ain’t hero route.
    I can see Kevin & Max being twins or Max & Addy being twins. Max probably won’t have super powers but will be shown to be just as smart if not smart then his father. Addy will have super powers & will pay a much larger role & whatever narrative they go with Adam.

Also I’d be very shocked if his wife is not said to be mixed/white passing FBI/government agent not a white FBI/government agent..
    Last edited by 4sake Baned; 03-07-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Fantastic Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Adam get a run as the Scientist Supreme.

And now I'm back to wanting Lance Gross cast as Blue Marvel, if it ever happens.

But what I really want is a decent Blue Marvel limited series or ongoing. I'm not as eager to see him in the MCU as I am in comics, given the limitations of live action media.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BANNED

People are more radical politically nowadays... that's why i worry for the adaptation of him just retiring like that.
    Plus the civil rights movement and its leaders and their ideology wasn't there in his mini series in a big way. The only real reference to it was how he quit because the black community wanted him to be more radical and the whites thought he'd be a genocidal supremacist

like there was the whole "they burned their own neighborhoods down because blue marvel didn't want to kill all the whites in revenge" stuff in the story. His reasoning for retiring could be improved

like there was the whole "they burned their own neighborhoods down because blue marvel didn't want to kill all the whites in revenge" stuff in the story. His reasoning for retiring could be improved
    Grevioux totally mischaracterized the justifiable outrage of the black community during the 1960s. The riots were never a reaction to something a black person did or did not do on behalf of the black community. They were always a reaction to perceived white injustice and white violence.

Blue Marvel not helping his community, as painful as that may have been for all parties, would not have led to a single riot. The black community had walked this tightrope for hundreds of years. They knew from experience that not every black person with the means to do so would serve the cause. They aren't burning down their neighborhoods over that.

But they would have shunned Adam. Let's be clear about that. He would have been a pariah. Especially once the public got wind of the fact that he not only went along with the government faking his death, but that he had been alive the entire time, playing house with a white woman somewhere in the suburbs. That stigma would have followed him to the present day.

Grevioux totally mischaracterized the justifiable outrage of the black community during the 1960s. The riots were never a reaction to something a black person did or did not do on behalf of the black community. They were always a reaction to perceived white injustice and white violence.

Blue Marvel not helping his community, as painful as that may have been for all parties, would not have led to a single riot. The black community had walked this tightrope for hundreds of years. They knew from experience that not every black person with the means to do so would serve the cause. They aren't burning down their neighborhoods over that.

But they would have shunned Adam. Let's be clear about that. He would have been a pariah. Especially once the public got wind of the fact that he not only went along with the government faking his death, but that he had been alive the entire time, playing house with a white woman somewhere in the suburbs. That stigma would have followed him to the present day.
    Big facts why I expect changes made to both his reasoning to stand down & to the wife those can’t get adapted as is marvel expect him to get overall with a more mainstream black audience

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Big facts why I expect changes made to both his reasoning to stand down & to the wife those can’t get adapted as is marvel expect him to get overall with a more mainstream black audience
    His wife could still be white and it could still be shown he had biracial black looking kids who are dark skin like the comics.
    Last edited by mace11; 03-07-2021 at 08:31 PM.

Amazing Member

I'm curious though. Grevioux's "mischaracterization" as you put it, could that not be from how the government viewed black people at that time? Kennedy's advisors all viewed men like Malcolm X and Fred Hampton as hate mongers and stirring anger where ever they go. I think Grevioux was fully aware that the anger the black community had was justified. He wrote the government at the time as being indifferent and wouldn't see the situation from the black person's perspective. As for Candace, the blond haired, Daisy duke looking type to me felt kind of stereotypical, like who doesn't like blondes regardless of your race. I'm pretty sure it was deliberate on Kevin's part. My question is why?

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    His wife could still be white and it could still be shown he had biracial black looking kids who are dark skin like the comics.
    Not the point that’s being made lol

Extraordinary Member

And now I'm back to wanting Lance Gross cast as Blue Marvel, if it ever happens.

But what I really want is a decent Blue Marvel limited series or ongoing. I'm not as eager to see him in the MCU as I am in comics, given the limitations of live action media.
    I could roll with that. I don't like the the thought of a visibly middle-age actor playing Adam. Adam should be played by a man still in his prime.

During the first Crisis on Infinite Earths, Chris Claremont suggested that the golden age Superman dyed his hair to appear older. I honestly think that would work for Adam.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 03-08-2021 at 11:08 PM.