Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Like I feel there are two ways we can go with this..... either have him regret stepping down making it a point of the character to not kowtow.... or try to add some better reasoning with the help of experts if there some reason we could see he couldn't have continued to operate.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon jiren View Post
    I'm curious though. Grevioux's "mischaracterization" as you put it, could that not be from how the government viewed black people at that time? Kennedy's advisors all viewed men like Malcolm X and Fred Hampton as hate mongers and stirring anger where ever they go. I think Grevioux was fully aware that the anger the black community had was justified. He wrote the government at the time as being indifferent and wouldn't see the situation from the black person's perspective. As for Candace, the blond haired, Daisy duke looking type to me felt kind of stereotypical, like who doesn't like blondes regardless of your race. I'm pretty sure it was deliberate on Kevin's part. My question is why?
    Honestly, I don't know what influenced Grevioux to suggest that the black community would have a destructive reaction to Adam not pursuing violent methods against racist whites. If that was the case, is Grevioux also saying, then, that Anti-Man was the true hero as far as the black perspective was concerned, and blacks should have violently erupted when he was defeated? I'm fairly certain if anyone wanted to deal violence to racist whites on a massive scale, it was Anti-Man. Seriously, Conner was ready to blow it all to hell and start over. But for Adam, he would have succeeded. Grevioux lost sight of his own logic and got a little off track, I think.

As for Marlene Frazier, Adam taking her as his wife would have bothered some on both sides of the racial debate. But in truth, miscegenation was actually quite common then. To be sure there were still several states that enforced anti-miscegenation laws (Loving v. Virginia would end that nonsense once and for all in 1967), but people could still marry legally in some states.

We all know why Grevioux chose Adam to marry a white woman. He figured if this was his one shot to write a series for Marvel on the topic of race, he was going to empty the armory, so to speak. At least from his perspective of what the key issues were.

Full disclosure, if my white Irish paternal grandfather had not taken a beautiful African American queen for his wife, my ass wouldn't be here. I acknowledge that mixed race marriages carry a stigma for some people even to this day. I'm just not one of the individuals who thinks that it's a bad thing. Not even close. Love is love. But obviously Grevioux intended to touch on the topic of interracial relationships, since some perceive it as a reflection of a culturally deleterious mindset, especially as it relates to black men taking up with white women.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Like I feel there are two ways we can go with this..... either have him regret stepping down making it a point of the character to not kowtow.... or try to add some better reasoning with the help of experts if there some reason we could see he couldn't have continued to operate.
    Actually, there are a number of ways we can go with this. I think we discussed most of them ad nauseum in the older Blue Marvel Appreciation threads, so I won't rehash any of those discussions here.

I will say, though, that Grevioux would probably pen a different story, now that he realizes that "post-racial" America was a myth.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Honestly, I don't know what influenced Grevioux to suggest that the black community would have a destructive reaction to Adam not pursuing violent methods against racist whites. If that was the case, is Grevioux also saying, then, that Anti-Man was the true hero as far as the black perspective was concerned, and blacks should have violently erupted when he was defeated? I'm fairly certain if anyone wanted to deal violence to racist whites on a massive scale, it was Anti-Man. Seriously, Conner was ready to blow it all to hell and start over. But for Adam, he would have succeeded. Grevioux lost sight of his own logic and got a little off track, I think.

As for Marlene Frazier, Adam taking her as his wife would have bothered some on both sides of the racial debate. But in truth, miscegenation was actually quite common then. To be sure there were still several states that enforced anti-miscegenation laws (Loving v. Virginia would end that nonsense once and for all in 1967), but people could still marry legally in some states.

We all know why Grevioux chose Adam to marry a white woman. He figured if this was his one shot to write a series for Marvel on the topic of race, he was going to empty the armory, so to speak. At least from his perspective of what the key issues were.

Full disclosure, if my white Irish paternal grandfather had not taken a beautiful African American queen for his wife, my ass wouldn't be here. I acknowledge that mixed race marriages carry a stigma for some people even to this day. I'm just not one of the individuals who thinks that it's a bad thing. Not even close. Love is love. But obviously Grevioux intended to touch on the topic of interracial relationships, since some perceive it as a reflection of a culturally deleterious mindset, especially as it relates to black men taking up with white women.
    I actually laughed out loud at your comment regarding Grevioux emptying the clip in his examination of race relations. Like he wasn't even trying to be subtle. Very much like Spike Lee.

BANNED

Actually, there are a number of ways we can go with this. I think we discussed most of them ad nauseum in the older Blue Marvel Appreciation threads, so I won't rehash any of those discussions here.

I will say, though, that Grevioux would probably pen a different story, now that he realizes that "post-racial" America was a myth.
    i'll try to search for them

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon jiren View Post
    I actually laughed out loud at your comment regarding Grevioux emptying the clip in his examination of race relations. Like he wasn't even trying to be subtle. Very much like Spike Lee.
    I did the same the first time I read ALOTBM. By the end of the series I didn't necessarily agree with everything that Grevioux wrote, but I absolutely full-throat endorse that he had to write it. If a writer can't be true to themselves, they're no good to the audience at all.

Mighty Member

But white men have been "taking up" black women loooong before black men/white women unions began.

Anyhow, such notions are thankfully irrelevant in today's society.

[Sees many recent articles about Markle's interview with Oprah]

Ahem....i stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    But white men have been "taking up" black women loooong before black men/white women unions began.

Anyhow, such notions are thankfully irrelevant in today's society.

[Sees many recent articles about Markle's interview with Oprah]

Ahem....i stand corrected.
    Human DNA suggests that the so-called races have been intermingling practically since the dawn of time. Mitochondrial Eve probably gets a good chuckle out of it -- or sheds a quiet tear given how "modern" humans are handling it -- from her celebrated perch in the afterlife.

As for Meghan and Harry, I'm honestly surprised that everyone else is so surprised. America's racism is generally on display at some point every year without fail. But the concept didn't start here. I kind of thought the history of the UK and the royals going back generations made this a rather predictable outcome.

Fantastic Member

Human DNA suggests that the so-called races have been intermingling practically since the dawn of time. Mitochondrial Eve probably gets a good chuckle out of it -- or sheds a quiet tear given how "modern" humans are handling it -- from her celebrated perch in the afterlife.

As for Meghan and Harry, I'm honestly surprised that everyone else is so surprised. America's racism is generally on display at some point every year without fail. But the concept didn't start here. I kind of thought the history of the UK and the royals going back generations made this a rather predictable outcome.
    I'm really not surprised that someone in Buck House had a word. Horribly archaic attitude. Some of my lesser enlightened peers shared similar mutterings.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    I'm really not surprised that someone in Buck House had a word. Horribly archaic attitude. Some of my lesser enlightened peers shared similar mutterings.
    So it seems.

It’s all awkwardly funny to me too.

I don’t go by “levels” of racism. Racist is racist. But they look even more ridiculously racist since Harry’s not even in line for the crown like William is. Yet they’re are still concern in the color of Harry’s baby?????

Didn’t some of the cousins marry a convict for battery before. Then all the Andrew stuff.

But they’re major concern is the skin color of members of the family who aren’t even in line for succession unless 4 people die.

Crazy.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    I don't think Adam Brashear will make an appearance in WandaVision because Monica Rambeau has technically become the Blue Marvel herself. She has a blue outfit with Blue Marvelly powers.
    I totally agree she is more Blue Marvel than Spectrum

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by thecoolaidkid View Post
    I totally agree she is more Blue Marvel than Spectrum
    While it is cool to see Monica on-screen and powered up, it would kinda suck if she became the MCU Blue Marvel proxy. Just like with my other favourite retcon superman, Sentry, I am invested in the character more than powers. I'd be annoyed if someone else took over the Sentry role. I root for Robert Reynolds the man. Adam deserves more exposure for precisely the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    While it is cool to see Monica on-screen and powered up, it would kinda suck if she became the MCU Blue Marvel proxy. Just like with my other favourite retcon superman, Sentry, I am invested in the character more than powers. I'd be annoyed if someone else took over the Sentry role. I root for Robert Reynolds the man. Adam deserves more exposure for precisely the same reason.
    Right, now we might have two top tier ....well, really 3 if you include Wanda. I would love to see a black male hero who is in this power level. Just one! Representation is reasons are cool. However I want to see how his persona would go with current heroes.
    Last edited by dkrook; 03-11-2021 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Right, now we might have two top tier ....well, really 3 if you include Wanda. I would love to see a black male hero who is in this power level. Just one! Representation is reasons are cool. However I want to see how his persona would go with current heroes.
    It would make sense if Adam made a back door cameo in the Loki series since that show is centered around time travel and such. Have a scene where Loki runs into Dr. Brashear somewhere in the early 60's. His objective is to sabotage the initial test run for Project Perseus held in a top-secret research facility somewhere. Well, knowing Loki, he cocks it up. And as a result, the lead researcher, Dr. Brashear gets doused with waves upon waves of antimatter radiation transforming him into America's Blue Marvel.

Meanwhile back at the TVA headquarters, Loki, his hands upturned in a gesture of total innocence, was saying, "...whoops.."

We then travel back to present-day America to see Adam as a silver-haired tenured professor at Cornell University.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Well like i said before phastos and makkari(a black female) will have superman type powers (they are eternals) in mcu as well.
    Eternals are top tier power level characters looking at thier powergrid and bio info.
    Last edited by mace11; 03-11-2021 at 03:29 PM.