Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon jiren View Post
    I'm actually curious as to what racial controversy Kevin was referring to.
    I took that as Grevioux referring to the climate of the US during the 1960s as Adam experienced it. I don't believe he was referring to a specific event.

I wish the interviewer had delved a bit deeper on the subject. I wonder which aspects of Blue Marvel reflect Kevin as a child, and which aspects reflect the adult?

It occurs to me that if Adam had his way, no one in the fictional universe outside of Conner might have ever known that the Blue Marvel was African American. Well, at least not until decades later in his career. I wonder what 1960s Adam would have thought had he met someone like the Silver Surfer when Adam first entered the super hero business? Nothing against Namor or Uatu, but I think that's who Adam should have encountered in the Grevioux series.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    At this point, I think it's gonna take a movie/show for Blue to get his due, given the lack of interest from the Marvel writers. It'd be an easy sell no doubt, "Black Superman" in the same established and beloved cinematic universe as Black Panther is basically printing hundos. For it to succeed I think the main thing they need to get down is explaining his powers in a simple and easy to remember manner. Seeing Monica make her MCU debut is definitely a step in the right direction and gives me hope that we'll see ol' Blue get his due soon.
    Since Isaiah Bradley has been introduced into the MCU and occupies the "wronged, forgotten hero" role, I think script writers will either change Adam's origin, or focus on a different aspect of his early history. I could see them reworking Adam in a variety of ways.

As for Adam's powers, I think the general public can easily remember his powers and how he got them. He was experimenting on antimatter as a source of clean energy, something went wrong, an explosion occurred, and voilą, Adam has superhuman strength, flight, invulnerability and energy powers. The only problem I see with Adam's powers is producers not wanting any character to step on MCU Carol's toes, since in the most general sense she has the same powers, even if the source, type, level and application of power differ.

That said, if they want to rework the origin of Adam's powers, I'd probably be fine with that. Just as long as it's something cool ... like his father lifting an infant Adam to the midnight sky in Alex Haley-esque fashion when a White Event occurs -- or maybe we should call it a Cyanic Event -- gradually bestowing baby Adam with incredible, seemingly arcane powers. And maybe at some point in his youth Adam encounters the Ancient One, who seeks out the child thinking his powers may be the influence of the Vishanti. But alas, upon mystically examining Adam, she sees that Adam's powers are purely natural (i.e., scientific) in origin. Nevertheless, she places Adam's name in her mental Rolodex. Decades later during a dire crisis, the Ancient One passes Adam's name along to Stephen Strange. Because the good doctor is going to need help from someone with godlike abilities to face the overwhelming powers aligned against him. Or something quaint like that.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 04-27-2021 at 08:29 PM.

Captain Marvel already took the bad element of Blue Marvel's origin. She owns that now and Marvel is free to take him in another direction.
    The J-man

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Captain Marvel already took the bad element of Blue Marvel's origin. She owns that now and Marvel is free to take him in another direction.
    The "bad element"?

Which element did she take?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Since Isaiah Bradley has been introduced into the MCU and occupies the "wronged, forgotten hero" role, I think script writers will either change Adam's origin, or focus on a different aspect of his early history. I could see them reworking Adam in a variety of ways.

As for Adam's powers, I think the general public can easily remember his powers and how he got them. He was experimenting on antimatter as a source of clean energy, something went wrong, an explosion occurred, and voilą, Adam has superhuman strength, flight, invulnerability and energy powers. The only problem I see with Adam's powers is producers not wanting any character to step on MCU Carol's toes, since in the most general sense she has the same powers, even if the source, type, level and application of power differ.

That said, if they want to rework the origin of Adam's powers, I'd probably be fine with that. Just as long as it's something cool ... like his father lifting an infant Adam to the midnight sky in Alex Haley-esque fashion when a White Event occurs -- or maybe we should call it a Cyanic Event -- gradually bestowing baby Adam with incredible, seemingly arcane powers. And maybe at some point in his youth Adam encounters the Ancient One, who seeks out the child thinking his powers may be the influence of the Vishanti. But alas, upon mystically examining Adam, she sees that Adam's powers are purely natural (i.e., scientific) in origin. Nevertheless, she places Adam's name in her mental Rolodex. Decades later during a dire crisis, the Ancient One passes Adam's name along to Stephen Strange. Because the good doctor is going to need help from someone with godlike abilities to face the overwhelming powers aligned against him. Or something quaint like that.
    I had same concern after watching falcon and the winter soldier. The story of coming out of the shadows to be redeemed has already been done. I'm still for have Adam exist in an alternate universe. It would create an opportunity for other not so well known characters to get some shine. Also, rather than trying to rework his back story centered out around the 60's it could be present day, with him being in his mid 40's.

No one knew who Bradley was or that he was even alive, whereas Brashear's identity was well known, so much so that he was an American icon. People simply didn't know he was a black man, and were led he believed he'd died in the line of duty rather than retired. His background is more similar to Cap's, or The Watchmen's Hooded Justice, than it is to Bradley's.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon jiren View Post
    I had same concern after watching falcon and the winter soldier. The story of coming out of the shadows to be redeemed has already been done. I'm still for have Adam exist in an alternate universe. It would create an opportunity for other not so well known characters to get some shine. Also, rather than trying to rework his back story centered out around the 60's it could be present day, with him being in his mid 40's.
    If I understood Grevioux correctly, the only real reason why Adam appears older is because he was trying to avoid the elements of Adam's story that either conflicted with Sentry, or appeared too similar to Sentry. The Sentry didn't really age -- or at least he's not drawn like a man who aged. So I guess Adam being the second uber-powerful forgotten hero on the scene had to change in some way. More than just being African American, I gather. Grevioux gave Adam the JJJ look and the rest is history.

If all that holds true, then if they do reimagine Adam for the MCU with a more recent origin timeline, I hope they make him younger in appearance -- late 20s to mid-30s. As we've all seen, the Civil Rights "era" is not bound text. It's an ongoing struggle and the story is still being written. I'm not saying that Adam has to be the symbol for the struggle, but it would be nice if his longevity mirrored the struggle and refreshes as the country continues to experience critical inflection points in the pursuit of its goal of a more perfect union.

Who knows what the MCU writers will come up with when/if they decide to create a place for Adam in their universe? Now that I think about it, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they decided that the Blue Marvel should be a power and mantle passed down through generations of the Brashear family. Maybe it started with Adam and he is Blue Marvel Prime. But for the MCU, instead of Adam having longevity/quasi-immortality, he lives a normal life span, but the power in him fades as a natural part of the process and one of his kids, who also lives a normal life span, receives the power. They, in turn, pass it on to one of their offspring, so that by the time that we see the Blue Marvel in the MCU, it's the 3rd or 4th generation Blue Marvel. Maybe his name is Adam as well, named after his grandfather. And maybe in the MCU, that's the Adam that Monica meets and falls in love with, not ABB Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Lesson View Post
    No one knew who Bradley was or that he was even alive, whereas Brashear's identity was well known, so much so that he was an American icon. People simply didn't know he was a black man, and were led he believed he'd died in the line of duty rather than retired. His background is more similar to Cap's, or The Watchmen's Hooded Justice, than it is to Bradley's.
    I see your point, but at the end of the day no one remembered Adam or his greatness. Even with Adam being on the front pages of every major newspaper back then. No one gets instant amnesia like the general public. Even the great Reed Richards mentally stammered to recall the Blue Marvel. Purely as a once in a lifetime phenomenon, Blue Marvel is someone that no one should have forgotten, but they did. That was part of Grevioux's grand design. Personally, I see that as one of the flaws of Adam's origin story, but we have to accept it and go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I see your point, but at the end of the day no one remembered Adam or his greatness. Even with Adam being on the front pages of every major newspaper back then. No one gets instant amnesia like the general public. Even the great Reed Richards mentally stammered to recall the Blue Marvel. Purely as a once in a lifetime phenomenon, Blue Marvel is someone that no one should have forgotten, but they did. That was part of Grevioux's grand design. Personally, I see that as one of the flaws of Adam's origin story, but we have to accept it and go with it.
    Plenty of people seem big for a moment and then are forgotten, no matter the heroics they might've pulled. Being forgotten is a lot easier than you'd think.

I'd think Blue Marvel, in the MU, would have had his photos showing up in internet chum buckets with like 'Ten Heroes From The Past You Don't Know About'.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The "bad element"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Lesson View Post
    Which element did she take?
    The whole insanely strong hero who was around years ago, but then vanishes and no one knows about only to reappear decades later.

For Blue Marvel's case, they'd need to rework that aspect of his character or ignore it. The comic version's origin wouldn't jive with certain mainstream audiences. He was a Superman tier-level character but just stood by for years because the president asked him to.

I'm sure Marvel could do it, they do a great job of adapting stories. Look how Coogler handled Wakanda or what they did with the Falcon and Winter Soldier.
    The J-man

Fantastic Member

It still jarred with me that Adam stood down when asked.

I mean, wasn't he operating off the radar for a while (I forget the comics that covered this, but I want to say Mighty Avengers)?

Even so, even with sliding timelines, surely so much happened on Earth that was bigger than race or politics, that he would have been asked to come back and help?

The only time I found real life politicians even vaguely effective in comics was probably JMS' unfinished Supreme Power story.

Invincible Member

The whole insanely strong hero who was around years ago, but then vanishes and no one knows about only to reappear decades later.

For Blue Marvel's case, they'd need to rework that aspect of his character or ignore it. The comic version's origin wouldn't jive with certain mainstream audiences. He was a Superman tier-level character but just stood by for years because the president asked him to.

I'm sure Marvel could do it, they do a great job of adapting stories. Look how Coogler handled Wakanda or what they did with the Falcon and Winter Soldier.
    I think it's different with MCU Carol. I mean, she wasn't really around, she was in deep space and didn't become a hero until now. She's effectively a new hero. It's not really the same as being the hero who stepped down/was forgotten for years.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    It still jarred with me that Adam stood down when asked.

I mean, wasn't he operating off the radar for a while (I forget the comics that covered this, but I want to say Mighty Avengers)?

Even so, even with sliding timelines, surely so much happened on Earth that was bigger than race or politics, that he would have been asked to come back and help?

The only time I found real life politicians even vaguely effective in comics was probably JMS' unfinished Supreme Power story.
    This isn't really the issue that some fans want to make it. We've been so conditioned by event comics over the years that when every character doesn't show up for every big fight, it's some sort of problem. If you really need a reason, it's not hard to think that BM was either helping off panel or busy with some other threat.

The real issue is why aren't more writers/artists offering more pitches for BM solos...or if they are why aren't the editors/management approving them?

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Plenty of people seem big for a moment and then are forgotten, no matter the heroics they might've pulled. Being forgotten is a lot easier than you'd think.
    Yes and no. The very reason why Sentry had to use his psionic powers so that the public would forget him speaks to that. It's one thing for any hero to be forgotten, but remember, this isn't the modern day era where there's a superhero appearance on every New York City corner. Heroes, especially extremely powerful heroes, weren't a common occurrence back then. There were maybe only a dozen or so of them operating in the public eye. Heroes were practically celebrated icons. The fact that a teenage Johnny Storm recognized a scraggly, hoary Namor -- a hero that existed long before Johnny or his sister were born -- also speaks to that.

Adam was forgotten because that was the key parameter of Grevioux's telling. Along with everything else, we must suspend disbelief in order to buy the story that he's selling. But in all reality, there's no way anyone would forget Adam, a god-like Black man whose identity was partially revealed on National TV. The country only had 3 networks back then, or something like that. Everyone with a TV saw it. And every major paper covered it. Riots erupted across the country partially as a consequence of that revelation. No, there's no way that anyone would forget Adam, if the rest of Grevioux's premises are true. It's a flaw, but a forgivable one.