Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Damn. It looks like Blue Marvel’s out and Doom is in!
    If you're talking about the Guardians of the Galaxy, then yes I saw that. Being written by Ewing of all people! Marvel is just trash for that. Doom trolled Blue Marvel in the Doom book and now he gets the nod for something that should be right in Adam's bag!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    If you're talking about the Guardians of the Galaxy, then yes I saw that. Being written by Ewing of all people! Marvel is just trash for that. Doom trolled Blue Marvel in the Doom book and now he gets the nod for something that should be right in Adam's bag!!
    I mean it’s DOOM!!

Having any villain on your team isn’t just a throwaway story. I’m sure it’s a plot point.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

There was speculation that one of the unrevealed members of of the new GotG could have been Blue Marvel. Due to Ewing writing Adam in Mighty Avengers and Ultimates.
    Ahh, I see. Yeah, no, Ewing has said repeatedly and emphatically that he didn't want to write Blue Marvel any more. I'm not sure why everyone keeps disregarding his obvious disinterest in the character. The safe bet here is that if Ewing is writing it, the odds of Adam Brashear being featured in the book is less than 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000001%.

The lineup of GotG actually made me laugh. Not only is Dr. Doom going to be in GotG, but 2 Quantum Band wielders will be on the team. Redundancy? No problem! They would have went with a 99th new iteration of Hyperion, but thankfully the Quantum gods stepped up and provided us a second Quasar. Or maybe it's a third? Or is it the fourth? Anyway, you get the picture.

But it gets better. Everyone speculated that Blue Marvel would be on the team, but there isn't a single Black character anywhere in sight. Lots of green people, but not one Black person. Happy Black History Month, boys and girls! This month in history we learn that the new cosmic Marvel line-ups look a whole hell of alot like the OLD cosmic Marvel lineups from 55 years ago. But don't let that bother you. Come on in and spend your money. Help prop up this institutionalized dearth of representation. (They could at least change Drax back to purple.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I mean it’s DOOM!!

Having any villain on your team isn’t just a throwaway story. I’m sure it’s a plot point.
    I agree that having Dr. Doom is probably a stepping stone to a bigger story arc. But the man just wiped out an entire universe and quadrillions upon quadrillions of souls just because he couldn't stand looking at a better version of himself. At some point you'd hope that writers would stop portraying truly evil men in a heroic light, but here we are.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Ahh, I see. Yeah, no, Ewing has said repeatedly and emphatically that he didn't want to write Blue Marvel any more. I'm not sure why everyone keeps disregarding his obvious disinterest in the character. The safe bet here is that if Ewing is writing it, the odds of Adam Brashear being featured in the book is less than 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000001%.

The lineup of GotG actually made me laugh. Not only is Dr. Doom going to be in GotG, but 2 Quantum Band wielders will be on the team. Redundancy? No problem! They would have went with a 99th new iteration of Hyperion, but thankfully the Quantum gods stepped up and provided us a second Quasar. Or maybe it's a third? Or is it the fourth? Anyway, you get the picture.

But it gets better. Everyone speculated that Blue Marvel would be on the team, but there isn't a single Black character anywhere in sight. Lots of green people, but not one Black person. Happy Black History Month, boys and girls! This month in history we learn that the new cosmic Marvel line-ups look a whole hell of alot like the OLD cosmic Marvel lineups from 55 years ago. But don't let that bother you. Come on in and spend your money. Help prop up this institutionalized dearth of representation. (They could at least change Drax back to purple.)
    Which black marvel characters are cosmic characters?

Maxam.......and that’s it. Eve Bakian is probably currently retired upon giving birth.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 02-12-2021 at 05:46 AM.

Which black marvel characters are cosmic characters?

Madam.......and that’s it. Eve Bakian is probably currently retired upon giving birth.
    If a raccoon with a gun can be a cosmic character -- if old man Corsair can be a cosmic character -- any hero can be a cosmic character. It's not about the definition of "cosmic" as defined by a power set. The reality is Marvel has plenty of Black characters that they could use here. They simply elect not to do so.

And what's worse is that this team do have minority representation: pink skinned Kree are the minority to the blue skin majority, so there's Noh-Varr, Phyla-Vell, and Teddy. :eyeroll:
    And two of the green members are human. Thankfully Mantis is half Vietnamese.
    So 10 out of 17 members are Earthers. Even though most are past or current members, I feel they're too connected with Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    And what's worse is that this team do have minority representation: pink skinned Kree are the minority to the blue skin majority, so there's Noh-Varr, Phyla-Vell, and Teddy. :eyeroll:
    And two of the green members are human. Thankfully Mantis is half Vietnamese.
    So 10 out of 17 members are Earthers. Even though most are past or current members, I feel they're too connected with Earth.
    Marvel keeps making the same mistake when it comes to Black cosmic characters and Black gods. There aren't nearly enough of either and pushing a metaphor that offers little more than representation by proxy won't cut it. Ewing could have added a Black character to GotG and not skipped a beat. Blue Marvel would have been particularly interesting, given his recent dealings with the mass murderer, Dr. Doom.

As one of the few titles that has an MCU presence, I think writers really need to think long and hard about the messages they're sending. If they were to cast a movie based on these line-ups, once again the only way a Black person makes the cast is if they are willing not to show that they are, indeed, Black. Meanwhile several White characters are depicted, no special effects make-up required. That's a problem.

Amazing Member

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but what does everyone think of Kevin Grevioux's Darkstorm comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon jiren View Post
    Don't know if this has been discussed before, but what does everyone think of Kevin Grevioux's Darkstorm comics?
    Good question. I don't generally buy indie comics, unless an artist that I like is featured.

I wish Adam had another team to lead. not GOTG, not Ultimates. Something else.

(Sigh) ..... I can't anymore, if Marvel comics is slowly trying to whiteout all of its heroes, stories and plots then I just start getting more independent comics that seem to have no problem with black representation. What's funny is I would expect this from an office full of trumpers, but I willing to bet that most would identify as progressive liberals. Between things like this and what happens freely at the X-Men office. Are white guys in charge a problem?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    At least on a team....

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    What type of team would you like to see? What would be their mission statement? Who else would be on the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    (Sigh) ..... I can't anymore, if Marvel comics is slowly trying to whiteout all of its heroes, stories and plots then I just start getting more independent comics that seem to have no problem with black representation. What's funny is I would expect this from an office full of trumpers, but I willing to bet that most would identify as progressive liberals. Between things like this and what happens freely at the X-Men office. Are white guys in charge a problem?
    I honestly don't know what the issue or end game is. I'm sure their response would be that they've built a diverse team and just because a Black person specifically isn't on it doesn't make it any less diverse. They'd probably also point to events like Heroes Reborn that feature at least one Black character (Blade) and teams like the Avengers and X-men that usually have one Black character in rotation at any given time. From their perspective they probably think they're doing "enough" to satisfy their fanbase, if not the culture.

Obviously, I feel differently. They could do so much more. It really wouldn't take much to allay my concerns. I wouldn't have said anything at all if those GotG previews had included a revamped Midnight Sun, Captain Universe (Tamara Devoux) or someone that you least expect, like Cardiac, whose intellect, skill as a doctor and beta particle generating abilities could prove invaluable on a team like GotG. Adam is my first choice, but anything is better than having 3-4 Quasars on the same team. If Quantum Bands are required, just give Midnight Sun a pair and call it a day. I'm flexible.