Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 900
  1. #31
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    766

    Default

    I think the initial idea was that he hates superheroes and that's why his name is Jefferson Davis, but I never heard Bendis confirm one way or the other.

  2. #32
    Mighty Member mreddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I always felt that was overblown. Even then, it's just a name.
    Some people don't see it that way, it's like calling a black superhero "General Lee"

  3. #33
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    67,349

    Default

    spoilers:
    Ahmed had Jefferson justify it by saying Aaron wanted him to do it, but it's kind of off-putting when the only other Davis is now assumed dead...

    Also...Barbara and Ganke? What happed to Danika?
    end of spoilers

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I think the initial idea was that he hates superheroes and that's why his name is Jefferson Davis, but I never heard Bendis confirm one way or the other.
    Thing is, even if that was the motivation it still comes across as kind of tonedeaf. I kind of chalk it up to Bendis having a blindspot there, kind of like that original Danika scene and Bobby's "coming out" scene where Jean shutdown the possibility of him being Bi. In those cases, I don't think Bendis considered the optics of how what he was writing was going to get interpreted. So when he named Miles' dad Jefferson Davis, he probably didn't think it would be considered a big deal. Funnily enough, this is one of those things I've seen come up online quite a few times over the past decade, so I'm glad Saladin acknowledged it rather than dance around it. His decision even made narrative sense since it was a nice callback to the last conversation Jefferson had with Miles back on his birthday.

    Stuff with Barbara was pretty interesting

    spoilers:
    Though as awkward as it may be, Miles never actually officially went out with her or made an attempt to make things right with her. So I don't see him being that hung up on her.
    end of spoilers

    Stuff with Starling was pretty cute.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

  5. #35
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Thing is, even if that was the motivation it still comes across as kind of tonedeaf. I kind of chalk it up to Bendis having a blindspot there, kind of like that original Danika scene and Bobby's "coming out" scene where Jean shutdown the possibility of him being Bi. In those cases, I don't think Bendis considered the optics of how what he was writing was going to get interpreted. So when he named Miles' dad Jefferson Davis, he probably didn't think it would be considered a big deal. Funnily enough, this is one of those things I've seen come up online quite a few times over the past decade, so I'm glad Saladin acknowledged it rather than dance around it. His decision even made narrative sense since it was a nice callback to the last conversation Jefferson had with Miles back on his birthday.

    Stuff with Barbara was pretty interesting

    spoilers:
    Though as awkward as it may be, Miles never actually officially went out with her or made an attempt to make things right with her. So I don't see him being that hung up on her.
    end of spoilers

    Stuff with Starling was pretty cute.
    Agreed. Jefferson Davis still too much to call a working-class black dude.

  6. #36
    All-New Member Ojhe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28

    Default

    spoilers:
    Starting to the feel like the only contribution Ganke has to Miles story nowadays is who he's dating lmao
    end of spoilers

    Curious to see where all this goes.

  7. #37
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    67,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerwrax15 View Post
    spoilers:
    .......so i guess Danika don't exist anymore, she didn't even get a dishonorable swept under the rug "it didn't work out" word bubble.(which is weird considering her frequent use throughout the new game, just for new complicated wrinkle that both didn't need to be a thing and only risks hurting Miles and Ganke's friendship) Quite a bit to like in this issue, but just these little avoidable things that make me tilt my head.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, seems oddly timed with her prominence in the games, but I doubt Ahmed had any idea about that.
    end of spoilers

  8. #38
    Mighty Member Dragonick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ojhe View Post
    spoilers:
    Starting to the feel like the only contribution Ganke has to Miles story nowadays is who he's dating lmao
    end of spoilers

    Curious to see where all this goes.
    spoilers:
    Yeah, the lack of Ganke in this run is kinda unfortunate. Also how old is Tiana again? I was under the impression she had a few years on him.
    end of spoilers

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I think the initial idea was that he hates superheroes and that's why his name is Jefferson Davis, but I never heard Bendis confirm one way or the other.
    I guess I don't quite "get" that. Just curious. What's the connection to (the name) "Jefferson Davis" and hating super-humans? lol.

  10. #40
    Ultimate Member AtheistInRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    183

    Default

    spoilers:
    -Jefferson's name change is the only notable contribution to Saladin's two year run on Miles' mythology. Nice.
    -Frost Pharaoh...again?
    -Barbara is dating Ganke just like that, with no chemistry and set-up? Okay cool. But Ganke's relationship with Danika had that.
    -Miles reveals his identity too much.
    -Are Miles and Starling dating? She just kissed him and that's it.
    -OH GOD NO NOT KING IN BLACK!!! MARVEL WHY!!!
    -That's one way to make a throwaway issue that leads into two more throwaway issues. Saladin's on a roll lol.
    end of spoilers
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

  11. #41
    Spectacular Member Pattern_Maker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post
    spoilers:
    -Jefferson's name change is the only notable contribution to Saladin's two year run on Miles' mythology. Nice.
    -Frost Pharaoh...again?
    -Barbara is dating Ganke just like that, with no chemistry and set-up? Okay cool. But Ganke's relationship with Danika had that.
    -Miles reveals his identity too much.
    -Are Miles and Starling dating? She just kissed him and that's it.
    -OH GOD NO NOT KING IN BLACK!!! MARVEL WHY!!!
    -That's one way to make a throwaway issue that leads into two more throwaway issues. Saladin's on a roll lol.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Nah, I doubt Miles and Tiana are dating. That was probably a thank you kiss for sharing his identity with her and for hanging out.
    Hopefully this time King in Black won't contradict anything.
    end of spoilers

  12. #42
    All-New Member Ojhe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    spoilers:
    Yeah, the lack of Ganke in this run is kinda unfortunate. Also how old is Tiana again? I was under the impression she had a few years on him.
    end of spoilers
    No clue, but she’s definitely under 21 since CRADLE’s on her ass as well. Miles is around 16-18 at this point so she’s probably in that bracket or 19 at most.

  13. #43
    Mighty Member Grimm911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ojhe View Post
    No clue, but she’s definitely under 21 since CRADLE’s on her ass as well. Miles is around 16-18 at this point so she’s probably in that bracket or 19 at most.
    Pretty sure she's 18 or 19. Lives by herself and doesn't go to any high school or college.

  14. #44
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,004

    Lightbulb New Main Antagonist for Miles Morales sequel

    If the Miles Morales game had a sequel, how would you feel if Regent was the main antagonist.

    The PS4 universe seems to mostly be focusing on classic Spider-Man rogues as Peter's main antagonists, so there really isn't much room for a villain like Regent in Peter's story.

    That being said, he could easily work in Miles's story.

  15. #45
    Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    If the Miles Morales game had a sequel, how would you feel if Regent was the main antagonist.

    The PS4 universe seems to mostly be focusing on classic Spider-Man rogues as Peter's main antagonists, so there really isn't much room for a villain like Regent in Peter's story.

    That being said, he could easily work in Miles's story.
    Regent didn't exactly leave a strong impression on me TBH. His whole M.O. as well was stealing the powers of other super heroes, and I don't really see the game focusing on a plot of other super heroes getting kidnapped.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •