Page 34 of 151 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Ah yes, the making of someone who wants to debate in good faith lol
    Hit a nerve did I.Just kidding,I was talking about how even though Spider-man has helped most of them-Miguel with the time-travel and new suit and Cindy with the bunker and getting her life back etc. they treat him as a third wheel and a burden.It says a lot about you to pick a single post(one line might I add) to use as an argument against me.As I stated before if you don't want or have anything to add something to the conversation and topic then don't reply.My post was a general one because I wanted to know what people see in miles.You are the one who is derailing the thread with your petty arguments.Stop trying to pick a fight.I won't be responding to your posts unless they contain something pertaining to the topic at hand.Cheers!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    Can't decide which one is the better variant.

Man the 1st one is great but I love the cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I posted this on the vine a while back and got not a lot of response.Can someone tell me why some people(and you) like milesSince we have some down time can someone tell me why they think miles is a good character.I think he is overrated and could write pages full as to why(I have read most of his books)but am open to change.Give me reasons why he is good and will try to counter with my opinion.

I like Miles fine, but he's just a box-ticker for me, he's going to be Peter without the growth virtually forever if Marvel can help it. I'm waiting for him to nip off to the Ultimate Universe, that's his true home and I was more invested in him back when he was there.

This!

Spiderman in the 1610 was a great character and his entire series was overall pretty good(they downplayed his strength and smart's to play into the "beaten up kid" factor, rest was great).Miles intro was pretty good but I'd argue it's because of status quo of 1610.A world where avengers are drunken idiots and X-men are full on edgy soap opera with a dead Spiderman allows for a great street level origin story.Even with all that and a legacy title I found his following series "lackluster".

He was a quippy teenage Spiderman who has trouble balancing his dual identities which is something we had gotten before(and arguably better) for both 616(old school) and 1610(modern) versions.

The differences are while 616 peter really didn't have anyone to confide in and was considered a flake by his friends and has felt like a disappointment whereas Miles not only had Ganke but rest of 1610 Pete's supporting cast who gave him a "you go girl" attitude.Spiderman was always the underdog while Miles was eagerly accepted by the Ultimates, Nick Fury, Gwen, May and MJ .

The only good stuff we get is the origin and spider man no more arc which is a copy of Spiderman's arc and arguably his best movie(they even ripped off the internal monologue).This is made even worse by the fact that now both arc's have lost a lot of their meaning as he got his mother back and this world Spiderman is alive.

Also while Spiderman's supporting cast is timeless to this day.Miles's supporting cast changes drastically preodically.His most iconic relation comes from alternate universe Gwen(which gross btw) .Having a bff in Ganke also hurts the story since we never get the "alone in the world" vibe from miles's stories.It works fine in films(although I would rather not have it in) but really doesn't in comics.Even prowler is a mantle from Pete(I don't know about Davis though).That and he is still a cliche twist even if it is well executed.

Miles has also been pushed into the champions whilst Peter got time to develop as a individual character and didn't join the Avengers(annual 3 if I remember correctly)

Also a pattern I have noticed is that for Miles to work we always have to push Pete down.This is true for all medium's.In Spiderverse we have one dead Pete and one of the if not the lowest point in his life(understand that this is to say that Peter B. Parker is not absolute perfection,which he is, the point is for the story to work we need Pete to be in a bad spot so as to validate miles character arc).In comics we get 2 Spider-men series which show peter as an inexperienced goofball of a man-child.This can be seen in the fight scenes of Miles and Peter and Miles and Peter vs Taskmaster(1610).

Also sharing the same name on the same Earth is just confusing.In the show Ultimate Spiderman he is called Kid Arachnid(he is actually likeable in the show).Bringing him into the 616 was stupid as is and has really made the character much worse.

Also giving him a Spidey-sense was something I disliked because it is popular because of it's uniqueness and giving it to other characters like Miles and Cindy detracts from that.The main problem is not only does he have all the Spider powers he also has invisibility and venom blast.I think invisibility was a good choice but would work better if it replaced spidey-sense instead being an add-on.The venom blast is the physical incarnation of the infamous Bendis force and allows him to beat people he has no business like 1610 Dr Doom , 616 Blackheart and 616 Spiderman.Although they have reigned in this ability in the recent run.

Spiderman has had many iconic moments in the first ten years(Origin,If this be my destiny,Death of Gwen Stacy, Death of green goblin, sinister six and the black suit saga to name a few) while Miles barely has one(I don't think there are any but maybe I missed something ) even though he has had much more of a spotlight and content as compared to Pete.

I just feel like there are so many more characters that I would love to be given this attention rather than Miles.Blue marvel,Shang Chi(when done right),Blade,Monica Rambeau, Misty Knight.Hell even Cindy and Miguel have so much potential.

I'll close this off by saying that Miles has a lot in common with Pete (but I feel Pete's stories show these) and what they have different Pete usually has better.This makes me feel like Miles is more of a box-ticker(as said above) rather than a good character.

Please tag some Miles fans to this since I would love to debate this.I don't know anyone here who is a die-hard Miles fan.
    I liked Miles but I'm not a huge fan of his yet. Both his 616 runs are interesting but underwhelming.

My favorite Miles story is the novel by Jason Reynolds. Maybe he should write the next run?

His heyday was in the Ultimate Universe. He was the main Spiderman after Peter died. Right now he's just Kid Arachnid.

I always disliked him as Spiderman II. I'd be more interested if he was a mutant with invisibility powers. Call him Incognito .

Ps. If Marvel wants to change his name, Incognito is a good fit .
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-13-2021 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I liked Miles but I'm not a huge fan of his yet. Both his 616 runs are interesting but underwhelming.

My favorite Miles story is the novel by Jason Reynolds. Maybe he should write the next run?
    I did prefer Miles when he was his own thing meaning the successor of Peter Parker from 1610. I do think something was lost in translation when he joined 616 (the same applies to Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider but more drastically). That said, I'm still a fan and am enjoying his current adventures.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

His heyday was in the Ultimate Universe. He was the main Spiderman after Peter died. Right now he's just Kid Arachnid.

I always disliked him as Spiderman II. I'd be more interested if he was a mutant with invisibility powers. Call him Incognito .

Couldn't have said it better.He isn't bad in the 616 but is nothing special either.
    I haven't checked out the novel yet but maybe I will.
    In the 1610 he had a chance to shine since both avengers and x-men were pretty bad at superheroing and Spider-man was dead.Also way less heroes in general.Instead of bringing him into 616 if they gave him a run in the 1610 with minimum of Pete's supporting cast(MJ,Gwen,May and Jessica) and instead gave him Bombshell,Ganke and a couple new characters with cameos of the X-men and Avengers.Miles could also bring together other heroes to make a defenders sort of team to look after the city.
    Having the same name specially in the same universe and moreover in the city is just bad for them both.It doesn't help with making him a more different character than well.... Spider-man.Incognito is a great name,much better than Spin(IDW) or Kid Arachnid(Ultimate Spider-man TV show) .
    Thanks for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I did prefer Miles when he was his own thing meaning the successor of Peter Parker from 1610. I do think something was lost in translation when he joined 616 (the same applies to Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider but more drastically). That said, I'm still a fan and am enjoying his current adventures.
    Bendis did the whole new 52 vagueness and tried to have his cake and eat it too. A better option would've been to build Miles from scratch in the 616 and find a new hook beyond him being the successor.

Miles is easier to bring over as he is less dependant on Peter than Spider-gwen. Her cast is just alternate versions of Pete's. She doesn't have Ganke, Lana, Judge etc. So Miles was easier to cart over and keep seperate.

Extraordinary Member

I think the main problem is the sheer abundance of Super-heroes in the 616.Both in general and of the Spider-kind.The ultimate universe helped Miles feel needed.In the 616 he is just one of many(Literally he is part of a teen Superhero team).

I think the main problem is the sheer abundance of Super-heroes in the 616.Both in general and of the Spider-kind.The ultimate universe helped Miles feel needed.In the 616 he is just one of many(Literally he is part of a teen Superhero team).
    And, don't forget, too many Spiders specifically.

Extraordinary Member

And, don't forget, too many Spiders specifically.
    Oh for sure.I feel like Spencer realized that so many Spider-people(even from other dimensions) were in the 616 that he made them into a rag-tag team.The order of the web.I want to see where it goes(hopefully somewhere).When they have served their purpose I would like to see them disband and return to the home dimensions

Some Miles art by Travis G Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Some Miles art by Travis G Moore
    Very handsome .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Very handsome .
    Indeed, lookin' good Miles.

I like Peter more as evident by the above text.I don't like miles but I do want to.That is why I come into Miles threads since people who frequent these may have counter-arguments to tell.If you like miles(specially more than peter) could you share your reasons.I don't see any plus to the character but I am open to it.Cheers
    Well for starters, Miles has a swagger, an energy about him that Peter never had. I don't need that me against the world trope, it gets tired. Socially awkward thing Peter had, all that loveable lower stuff ...all that is a no for me. I love the the more socially adapt Miles. He reminds me of my son. Even with all that being said Miles still has struggled with plenty of life issues. Another would be keeping his parents together in his mythos. Fresh breath of air to see heroes can have other motivation factors than loss of a parent/guardian. Miles is capable Spiderman without being the uber genius that Peter is, love it. The kids has smarts, and he can be pushed to reach his potential. His powers, which borrow from the traditional Spiderman powers and includes venom blast, and invisibility. So we gave something from Jessica Drew and something completely new! Again a Spiderman that has a power that could potentially place him beyond street level. Wow another element that puts distinction between Miles and Peter in a good way, let Peter be the Spiderman that has struggle to punch up to a higher weightclass. Relationships. My preference would be for Miles to have a cutie of a black girl, but After Enter the Spiderverse, I don't mind Gwen Stacy at all.

The little black kid hero you never knew, and wouldn't have to see....lol, yeah ....NO, he's good just as he is. As a Spiderman fan there's room for Miles.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Well for starters, Miles has a swagger, an energy about him that Peter never had. I don't need that me against the world trope, it gets tired. Socially awkward thing Peter had, all that loveable lower stuff ...all that is a no for me. I love the the more socially adapt Miles. He reminds me of my son. Even with all that being said Miles still has struggled with plenty of life issues. Another would be keeping his parents together in his mythos. Fresh breath of air to see heroes can have other motivation factors than loss of a parent/guardian. Miles is capable Spiderman without being the uber genius that Peter is, love it. The kids has smarts, and he can be pushed to reach his potential. His powers, which borrow from the traditional Spiderman powers and includes venom blast, and invisibility. So we gave something from Jessica Drew and something completely new! Again a Spiderman that has a power that could potentially place him beyond street level. Wow another element that puts distinction between Miles and Peter in a good way, let Peter be the Spiderman that has struggle to punch up to a higher weightclass. Relationships. My preference would be for Miles to have a cutie of a black girl, but After Enter the Spiderverse, I don't mind Gwen Stacy at all.
    Thanks for the response.i'll try to talk about all points you made but some of the stuff you have said I have already talked about in the original post
    The "swagger" is a meme and reading his comics I don't feel any energy but maybe that is just me.
    The world against me trope is something I said I understand why Miles doesn't have.The problem is he doesn't have anything else to give me the vibe of a spider-man comic.
    Also Pete was never socially inept in the comics.He was unpopular but still flirted with girls and stood up to his bullies.The movies were the one that pushed him to be an awkward person.Also Dan slott's messy decade of Spider-man stuff.
    Could you elaborate about these issues Miles's has had to deal with.I am sure they exist but none come to mind.
    About parents,he lost his mother to venom in the 1610 and it lead to my personal favourite Miles story of all time even though it was a rehash of Peter's.It was a major part and was retconed.
    Miles is street smart, is that what you are saying?Could you elaborate
    I like invisibility but the venom blast is has been op for a long time.They have tuned it down in the current run.It's a lazy way to make him win fights he has no business winning(Blackheart).
    Also Peter will always be a better fighter than miles.It's not even close.Along with the years of experience he has been trained by Captain America and Shang Chi.Moreover he is a 250 IQ genius who has made incredible inventions impressing the likes of Hank Pym,Reed Richards and tony stark.
    Miles's biggest problem(imo) is the venom blast.Bendis has a habit of making his favourite characters op.It literally makes him worse.That is why in the current run he couldn't even take out the rhino.If anything miles has been nerfed and it has made him better.The fact that you think making Miles stronger makes him a better character is the complete opposite of the truth.you literally want kid Spider-man being stronger than Spider-man.Also Spider-man has taken out beings way beyond miles's class.Spider-man would whoop Miles if there is no bendis-force or PIS.
    Also the same name is stupid for reasons in the original post
    I think barbara may be his MJ so I say go for it.The gwen stuff is okay in the movie(not really but it's not that bad) since Peter and Gwen don't even know each other(as I was told they are from different Earth's than the ones we know even though they showed us the correct numbers).It hursts them both but Miles much more than Pete.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 04-13-2021 at 08:27 PM.