Page 23 of 77 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    I mean, we brought her back because we wanted to use her in interpersonal character drama in AVENGERS, and that interpersonal character drama was built on her dealing with particular problems, problems that grew out of her feeling broken and stressed, like she'd lost everything that mattered to her, including, as a final straw, the stars. So she turned to alcohol, which led to team issues and led to a connection to Tony, all of which gave us rich and engaging things to do.
    Plus, I liked the Warbird costume.
    The power change wasn't important because of her powers, primarily -- it was important because it set up all that character drama, and AVENGERS is (to my mind, anyway) a character drama book. And the Binary visual looks bad in the Warbird costume, and I think the Binary costume is functional but not all that interesting. And I dislike the name.
    So if she was to stay Binary, she'd have had no reason to feel broken and stressed and would have had the character drama she did that gave us interesting interactions I wanted to write. Plus, I may have been motivated by really liking the character when she was in AVENGERS (and her own book) in the 70s, but without that, I wouldn't have been as interested.
    So if that was the case, I'd have used someone else, someone I could do that kind of stuff with (and had a name I liked better).
    And from there, her being back in AVENGERS is what gave her enough of a spotlight that other writers started using her, that she got her own series again, and that she got turned into Captain Marvel and got a movie. Without AVENGERS, I don't know if that happens.
    It's certainly true that someone else could have brought her back, but she turned into Binary in 1982, and by 1998, 16 years later, she'd appeared as Binary less than 35 times, so it wasn't like other writers hadn't had a chance. They just weren't interested. Even Chris didn't use her very often.
    So my best guess: If we didn't want to use her in AVENGERS, she wouldn't have come back to Earth, and she'd still be making random appearances here and there, but no series, no movie.
    It was the character stuff that made me want to use her, and if she'd stayed Binary that character stuff doesn't happen.
    Of course, now that she's a headliner again, any time Marvel wants to hook her back up to some cosmic energy source, they can do it.
    I'm just glad I got to write her as Warbird, because even though the character arc we put her through wasn't comfortable for her, I really enjoyed writing it and putting her in the spotlight again.
    kdb
    There is - as I said when I mentioned missing Carol as Binary - no knocking what you did (I loved that volume of Avengers, just to be clear and love that Carol has become a household name these days!)

A large part of what I miss about her Binary form - I thought she finally looked different. She wasn't another attractive blond, with a perfect figure. She had fire for hair - and not like Human Torch - but actually "points" like a star.
    Her costume was pretty cool looking too. (I thought, anyway!)
    AND - not going to lie - as a huge fan of the Starjammers - I thought she fit there great.

The downside? Starjammers are a team that rarely ever shows up - because they're pretty much tied to the X-Men exclusively (they've had appearances here and there - like in Avengers when Raza went after, I believe it was Black Knight, if I remember correctly). But the X-Men don't typically go into space - which means - the Starjammers not getting a lot of "air time."
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

BANNED

871B5912-06A1-4FFC-8FC1-1EA3FEDEF82B.jpg

Thought this was pretty lit

Writers can use Binary regularly in stories, make her work well in them, have her be part of a team, and become popular characters to fans (like she already is to us) if they so choose.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Yeah...but Herc is generally just the team strong man...Thor has Mjolnir and storm and lightening as well. That is why I would say Binary could be swapped out for Thor.
    I guess then Sersi and Capt. Marvel would have been the female heavy hitters during this era.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Love these evolution looks, juan.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    The haircut actually makes her look older.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Well as Binary she was stuck on the other side of the universe with the Starjammers...anyone could have brought her back as that at anytime but just didn't.
    If there aren't any writers who want to use a character, it doesn't matter if they're on the other side of the galaxy or in Akron, OH. They won't show up in stories.

Replacing Thor on Avengers with Carol/Binary would have been interesting to me as she has a history with the team...as well as that here Binary power levels put her in Thor's power class.
    That's not what I wanted to do, as covered above. Had someone else wanted to do that, they'd have over a decade of opportunity.

I think writers need to get a little more creative in using another character that may not have been shown love over the years in place of a 'big name' character.
    I think writers should write stories they're interested in telling. If they're not interested, then they're just mechanics, and that rarely makes for good stories.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    If there aren't any writers who want to use a character, it doesn't matter if they're on the other side of the galaxy or in Akron, OH. They won't show up in stories.

That's not what I wanted to do, as covered above. Had someone else wanted to do that, they'd have over a decade of opportunity.

I think writers should write stories they're interested in telling. If they're not interested, then they're just mechanics, and that rarely makes for good stories.

kdb
    And what a great story you told!
    For me you brought back Carol not only as a great character but as a symbol. A symbol of resilience.
    Alcoholism because of her insecurities, the horrible rape by Marcus, all her past was revisited and you made her emerge of it stronger. That was a great story to tell.
    As you defined for me who is Wanda, so did you with Carol.
    I'd have liked to see you writing Carol nowthat she's accepted the legacy of Captain Marvel. Would be quite interesting to see how her past has led her here, now. But to be completely honest, I'd prefer you to be the one that fixes Wanda because I think the character needs you!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    There is - as I said when I mentioned missing Carol as Binary - no knocking what you did (I loved that volume of Avengers, just to be clear and love that Carol has become a household name these days!)

A large part of what I miss about her Binary form - I thought she finally looked different. She wasn't another attractive blond, with a perfect figure. She had fire for hair - and not like Human Torch - but actually "points" like a star.
    Her costume was pretty cool looking too. (I thought, anyway!)
    AND - not going to lie - as a huge fan of the Starjammers - I thought she fit there great.

The downside? Starjammers are a team that rarely ever shows up - because they're pretty much tied to the X-Men exclusively (they've had appearances here and there - like in Avengers when Raza went after, I believe it was Black Knight, if I remember correctly). But the X-Men don't typically go into space - which means - the Starjammers not getting a lot of "air time."
    I loved the halo wit the points design way more than fire hair. It actually makes her feel like she's a cosmic being like the stars

Ultimate Member

Have Carol and Wanda shared any scenes together since Disassembled?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Have Carol and Wanda shared any scenes together since Disassembled?
    Not much, unfortunately. Wanda was Carol's best friend on the team but nowadays it's just like they we're strangers.

Fantastic Member

Carol did interact with Wanda a bit in The Star mini that Kelly Thompson wrote.

Carol also comforted Wanda during a lead-up issue for AvX.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I almost wish Star would go by the name of Binary, just as a big middle finger to Carol.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com