Page 51 of 77 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

I really enjoyed it and I love what Kelly is doing. This issue was more of a set up though. I think there will be more to talk about in the next issue.

Also it's doing well. The editor of the series went on Twitter and they have a a few arcs planned after this one.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

It's good that they finally found someone that readers will support. Though I suppose the fact Kelly Thompson took over the book around the time the movie came out might have helped.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    That's a very cool cover.
    While it's cool and all to see Carol take on alternate future megalomaniacs, aliens and what not...I really want to see Carol have some major muscle characters to fight, Carol is, at her heart a brawler not a diplomat (it's part of why the Alpha Flight thing never rang true). She needs a Hyperion she can go toe to toe with. Outside of Titania, I can't really think of any brawler female characters she could go up against....maybe Black Swan (I know she's a alien, at least I think so, but I would love to see her become a regular thorn in Carol's side.) Moonstone really needs to be brought back as well.
    Why a physically powerful match for an arch? Why not someone like one of the Doctor Spectrums from the past? https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Alice_Nugent_(Earth-616)

After the whole Heroes Reborn thing is done.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    I found so weird that no one is mentioning or saying anything about monthly issues, last week was published issue 28 and no one says anything, looks like no one cares about Thompson's Captain Marvel and is expecting a change of writer to make some comments.
    I said that I was disappointed in it, and I have disappointed in this run for quite a while
    I got nothing to add except keep keep reiterating the same problems I had with this run

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Why a physically powerful match for an arch? Why not someone like one of the Doctor Spectrums from the past? https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Alice_Nugent_(Earth-616)

Debuted 1985? Wow. Is she meant to be Guy Gardner's counterpart? He would've been one of the three main Green Lanterns back then (Kyle hadn't debuted yet).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post

why not use characters from her own rogue's gallery and some she has a relationship with? Instead of random avenger foes?
    She had a magical enemy in Warren Traveller, but KT took Enchantress for some reason?

She has a physical bruiser in terms of Doomsday man, someone who could once resist silver surfer, and also has some esoteric teleport abilities.
    She also has a multitude of female scientist foes like minnerva, grace valentine, dr eve instead of just.... picking one and developing the dynamic (preferably minnerva)
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 04-30-2021 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    I found so weird that no one is mentioning or saying anything about monthly issues, last week was published issue 28 and no one says anything, looks like no one cares about Thompson's Captain Marvel and is expecting a change of writer to make some comments.
    I only really got into reading Carol with this run, and have really been enjoying it! Her scenes with Jess and Hazmat are a highlight for me, and I love Lauri-ell. There's also been a lot of beautiful art throughout the entire run. I'm definitely interested in seeing how this current arc plays out!

It feels like it's not too popular here though with people who have been fans for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    why not use characters from her own rogue's gallery and some she has a relationship with? Instead of random avenger foes?
    She had a magical enemy in Warren Traveller, but KT took Enchantress for some reason?

She has a physical bruiser in terms of Doomsday man, someone who could once resist silver surfer, and also has some esoteric teleport abilities.
    She also has a multitude of female scientist foes like minnerva, grace valentine, dr eve instead of just.... picking one and developing the dynamic (preferably minnerva)
    her old rogues gallery is terrible and her current rogues gallery is terrible
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    How many villains does she have in her own gallery?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    her old rogues were terribly good

no but really they have a good variety of powers and challenges for her if they would develop it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    How many villains does she have in her own gallery?
    Well, some of the biggest names in her rogues gallery aren't strictly "hers" anymore--since Claremont took them with him to X-Men. Mystique and Deathbird were both originally introduced as Carol Danvers villains in the original MS MARVEL series before they became much more prominent in X-MEN. Rogue also made her debut as a Carol foe. Carol still has unfinished business with Mystique to resolve though.

She's got a significant grudge against the Brood Queen--but again, that's as much an X-Men foe as a Carol foe. AIM has been a recurring enemy for Carol in multiple books--MODOK in her first series and Monica Rappacini in her 2nd. Brian Reed did an origin story for an AIM villain who was strictly Carol's (Head Case, the spawn of MODOK) but he has yet to reappear since then.

DeConnick's run brought back Yon-Rogg (with the code name Magnitron) as a major nemesis for her. He's directly tied to her origin.

Marcus Immortus would qualify--except he died. His time-travelling nature has allowed Carol to run into an alternate version of him at least once.

Thompson looks to be adding some powerful new faces to the rogues gallery though, with the introductions of Star and Ove.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Well, some of the biggest names in her rogues gallery aren't strictly "hers" anymore--since Claremont took them with him to X-Men. Mystique and Deathbird were both originally introduced as Carol Danvers villains in the original MS MARVEL series before they became much more prominent in X-MEN. Rogue also made her debut as a Carol foe. Carol still has unfinished business with Mystique to resolve though.

She's got a significant grudge against the Brood Queen--but again, that's as much an X-Men foe as a Carol foe. AIM has been a recurring enemy for Carol in multiple books--MODOK in her first series and Monica Rappacini in her 2nd. Brian Reed did an origin story for an AIM villain who was strictly Carol's (Head Case, the spawn of MODOK) but he has yet to reappear since then.

DeConnick's run brought back Yon-Rogg (with the code name Magnitron) as a major nemesis for her. He's directly tied to her origin.

Marcus Immortus would qualify--except he died. His time-travelling nature has allowed Carol to run into an alternate version of him at least once.

Thompson looks to be adding some powerful new faces to the rogues gallery though, with the introductions of Star and Ove.
    Yon-Rogg is still a fairly minor villain though. And Marcus' origin is a bit problematic. I feel like Marvel could've made more effort to build up some consistent antagonists for her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post

Reed also made the brood queen made of crystal specifically hers instead of just "The Brood" as a race the x-men fight

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yon-Rogg is still a fairly minor villain though. And Marcus' origin is a bit problematic. I feel like Marvel could've made more effort to build up some consistent antagonists for her.
    I think the various writers that have been working with Carol over the last several years have been working on developing her rogues gallery--but we've had multiple different creative teams on Carol's book since she became Captain Marvel, and several of those runs have taken Carol in different directions (solo hero on Earth; solo adventures in space; commander of the Alpha Flight space program; etc). The different directions have led to her facing different foes, making it a bit harder to get many recurring villains (or a stable supporting cast). I think with Kelly Thompson's run we might start to see some change on that since she is sticking around for a long run.

There are also various villains who aren't specifically Carol enemies, but she's started to develop recurring issues with them. Dr. Minerva is one example; The Master Of The World is another. Mahkizmo (the Nuclear Man) is a good candidate to be another. He's got the raw power to be able to challenge her, as we saw in Thompson's first arc, and his extreme sexist attitudes make him and Carol natural enemies.