Page 21 of 77 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Why ignore what’s been already established though? I would of hated if she randomly ignored what was previously established before her and just did her own thing. Thompson put Carol in a situation where she could question the relationship by seeing she doesn’t end up with Rhodey which might of been weird for her and something Rhodey wouldn’t understand. That might be a weak way to break them up for some but I prefer it over just starting her run with off screening their separation I think Thompson would of got more backlash for that.

And I don’t understand the Aquaman/Wonder Woman thing. Carol and Rhodey have been around for decades too. Just like them Aquaman and Wonder Woman are part of the Justice League which is a franchise but they both own their own sub franchise if you will. Rhodey is part of the ironman mythos. I’d argue it’s the equivalent of if Steel, Nightwing or Jimmy Olsen was dating Wonder Woman. Which is no disrespect to War Machine. But I’d rather see Carol build up her own mythos. Her own villains, allies and love interest she tends to just borrow everyone else’s and it left her in a situation where she doesn’t really have any of her own. Her movie didn’t really honestly have anything to draw on and was basically it’s own original story
    Carol became a solo character recently with the Ms marvel book, Rhodey is more of a supporting role that get some minis.
    Wonder Woman and Aquaman both have been having solos for like 75 years, so they developed their core casts. There is no wy to compae them with Rhodey and Carol.

Rhodey being a iron man character doesn't make him another franchise, he can still guest star on both Captain marvel and iron man books.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Am I alone in thinking Carol was best as Binary?

(I mean - there's no knocking how much attention she has now as Captain Marvel - not taking that way - but my favorite version/look of her - is her Binary form)

And I collected her original "Ms. Marvel" series when it came out. So I've been a long time fan of Carol. (I have a thing for women portrayed as strong females - not just in strength - but mentality)
    It is ironic that in the films -- she's basically Binary in a Captain Marvel uniform. Kurt Busiek depowered her, I guess, to not upstage the other Avengers. I wasn't happy about that change -- even though I preferred Dave Cockrum's Ms. Marvel design to his Binary design.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    "Binary" has become a sort of special form that she can tap into when she absorbs a lot of energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, it's basically a super mode. And once used it has to recharge so can't be used again for a while.
    And it isn't really as powerful as when Carol was Binary?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    And it isn't really as powerful as when Carol was Binary?
    Well, that's kind of arbritary isn't it? I think it's supposed to be, but whether that's actually how it's written is another story.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Carol became a solo character recently with the Ms marvel book, Rhodey is more of a supporting role that get some minis.
    Wonder Woman and Aquaman both have been having solos for like 75 years, so they developed their core casts. There is no wy to compae them with Rhodey and Carol.

Rhodey being a iron man character doesn't make him another franchise, he can still guest star on both Captain marvel and iron man books.
    He can, but he has more history and pathos with Tony than he does with Carol.

Honestly, Carol seems to have the worst luck with regards to writers and the cast they stick her with. Arana, Sleepwalker, Alpha Flight are all good characters, but lousy foils, IMO. And Carol really ought to spend less time with Jess so that she had a supporting cast that actually reacts to her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    What a weird reason for a breakup, I imagine the writer will eventually put them back together. Rhodey did nothing wrong
    That was the stupidest reason to break up in the history of stupid reasons to break up.

"Binary" has become a sort of special form that she can tap into when she absorbs a lot of energy.
    Well, that's kind of arbritary isn't it? I think it's supposed to be, but whether that's actually how it's written is another story.
    So true! Thank you.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I liked Carol best as Binary. Her look, her costume, her powers. I really liked her high-levels of strength and energy and that she was cosmic.

I have not followed Carol closely these days. How does Carol's current strength and energy levels compare to her Binary state? Is she considered cosmic now?
    base Carol is a heavy hitter.

I would actually put her close to Thor but not up there yet.

not sure why people always post that panel where (Savage?)Hulk no sold her punches and send her away with one hit.

Carol became astronomically stronger since then and even hurt She-Hulk who is >>> that Hulk.

I guess they just hate her character so they downplay her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post

Aquaman didn’t get a book until the silver age. Which was around the 60s I’m pretty sure. Carol had a series in the 70s. You missed the point no one said Rhodey houses his own franchise he’s part of the Ironman mythos. He’s more associated with Ironman than he’d probably ever be with Carol especially given the whole reason he’s a “super”hero is because of a Ironman suit. No one said he can’t appear in her book or other characters from franchises can’t appear in another franchise. But in my personal opinion Carol should be expanding on her cast of characters and they should all be first and foremost affiliated with her.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    base Carol is a heavy hitter.

I would actually put her close to Thor but not up there yet.

not sure why people always post that panel where (Savage?)Hulk no sold her punches and send her away with one hit.

Carol became astronomically stronger since then and even hurt She-Hulk who is >>> that Hulk.

I guess they just hate her character so they downplay her.
    I’d argue it all depends on the writer and honestly Carol might not even have a base her own power set is based off energy absorption Buseik in his Avengers run suggested she absorbs ambient energy from the world around her. Which means her power level should honestly vary based off light, heat sound or whatever she can draw on.

Even factoring that Hickman scene with Hulk that wasn’t even Carol at her strongest. The Carol that Thor fought was Binary. Doc Green faced off against a base Carol Danvers

It’s all on whose writing in my opinion though

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    He can, but he has more history and pathos with Tony than he does with Carol.

Honestly, Carol seems to have the worst luck with regards to writers and the cast they stick her with. Arana, Sleepwalker, Alpha Flight are all good characters, but lousy foils, IMO. And Carol really ought to spend less time with Jess so that she had a supporting cast that actually reacts to her.
    I guess it's good that Jess has remained consistent across all the different comics, even if it also highlights how little stability she has as far as a supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I’d argue it all depends on the writer and honestly Carol might not even have a base her own power set is based off energy absorption Buseik in his Avengers run suggested she absorbs ambient energy from the world around her. Which means her power level should honestly vary based off light, heat sound or whatever she can draw on.

Even factoring that Hickman scene with Hulk that wasn’t even Carol at her strongest. The Carol that Thor fought was Binary. Doc Green faced off against a base Carol Danvers

It’s all on whose writing in my opinion though
    oh Ik it depends on a writer.

I'm just saying that base Carol with no absorption is written to be way stronger than she was before and I don't think writers even use Busiek's portrayal of her power.

Carol was doing well against Thor even without Binary.

but you're right, there is no consistency nowdays... nor was there ever.
    Last edited by GodThor; 02-25-2021 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    but you're right, there is no consistency nowdays... nor was there ever.
    No, I feel like there USED to be consistency. That's when writers and artists stayed on books for a long time - and comics had footnotes to see what issues were being referenced, if needed.

Now? I am not even sure what editors do. They don't manage consistency, they don't care about finding issue references....
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    It is ironic that in the films -- she's basically Binary in a Captain Marvel uniform. Kurt Busiek depowered her, I guess, to not upstage the other Avengers. I wasn't happy about that change -- even though I preferred Dave Cockrum's Ms. Marvel design to his Binary design.
    Someone had already established that her link to her power source -- a white hole, if I remember? -- was undependable. I just didn't hook her back up to it again, because I thought:

(a) she looked better and more Avenger-y in the Cockrum Ms. Marvel suit,

(b) giving her more varied and situational power sources was interesting,

(c) it gave her another point of stress to feed into the alcoholism storyline, and

(d) yeah, characters who do "big not-terribly-well-defined energy" things can be a problem in team books. Thor's powerful, but his power expresses itself in varied and specific ways (and even then Thor fans always wanted to know why anyone else on the team got the chance to do anything, why couldn't Thor do it all?); the Surfer's powerful in a way I wouldn't put in Avengers. Binary felt more Surfer-y to me, so given that her power was already in flux, she'd be a more useful and dramatic character if she was still potentially plenty powerful but had to be resourceful and had something to hide.

But as with anything else, that power disconnect could always be restored.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Yeah, I would like to see Carol reconnected to the White Hole and become Binary.

Ultimate Member

Binary makes Carol more blasty, less punchy. Punchy is better, IMO