Page 28 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I agree about the women's costumes

I wouldn't mind a lack of character arc if she had more of a distinct personality. I liked when she blasted him across the desert
    That personality could have been the growth...over time she finds out she is human and was lied to by the Kree so you see that personality come out. But nope.

Astonishing Member

I see what you're saying about Captain Marvel. I hope CM2 is better than the first one.

personally I don't understand sex appeal. I don't even understand why people think these things are sexy. I'd like to see more normal looking people.
    I'm guessing you're young or new to comics. They've always been over-the-top in physicality. Men have muscles everywhere -- and women have/had hourglass shapes. They represent the physical ideal -- and their costumes/outfits were meant to show off that physicality. I don't think most fans think about it as actually being attracted to comic book characters as much as they like to see attractive people. Normal looking heroes is a newer concept in comics that may take off, but will probably never get a lot of support from traditional fans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Lesson View Post
    She was never herald level or portrayed as more powerful than Thor. Seems that just did that for the sake of it.
    MCU Thor, is not anywhere near the level of comic book Thor, so it's like comparing apples to oranges. I'd say in the MCU, both are pretty similar. I'm not sure what level CM is at in the comics -- seems to change a lot, but I think unless she has just absorbed a lot of energy, she's not at Thor levels.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I'm guessing you're young or new to comics. They've always been over-the-top in physicality. Men have muscles everywhere -- and women have/had hourglass shapes. They represent the physical ideal -- and their costumes/outfits were meant to show off that physicality. I don't think most fans think about it as actually being attracted to comic book characters as much as they like to see attractive people. Normal looking heroes is a newer concept in comics that may take off, but will probably never get a lot of support from traditional fans.
    Haha, I've read some comics over the years, but only recently got deeper into it. I get what you're saying, but it always bugged me to see these over-the-top physiques.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    We’re talking about Binary though aren’t we? But entertain me though mention said outlier feat and I’ll bring up the outlier feat I think is on par.

Then I’ll mention why I think Binary could be reasonably on Thor’s tier and if a writer honestly wanted to could be above it.
    Binary was on Thor's level. She was 100 ton weight class -- and she was also on his level in terms of generating power, invulnerability, etc. It is true, however, that she was not really an Avenger when she was Binary.

Ultimate Member

What's her level now?

Astonishing Member

What's her level now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Wally got all the gallery rogues from Barry, so it wasn't build on ground zero.

Aquaman was on the big 7 for JL for decades, so Johns work was good but I wouldn't say it is that special. He just did basic stuff, he didn't stayed really long. It's not groundbreaking for people that knows the character

Aquaman also isnt comparaable to Carol
    Eh... IÂ’m not seeing how your buying what your saying.. even a character like Harley is made to seem more important to her universe than Carol has been in the Marvel Universe.

Also what does Aquaman being in the JL for decades have to do with anything? He was often backgrounded and in regards to Post-Crisis he had one arc that revolves around him and his mythos which was obsidian age. Martian Manhunter has been on the JL founding 7 just about as long as Aquaman and his popularity isnÂ’t on CarolÂ’s level. You didnÂ’t even target my mentions of Aquaman.

So again IÂ’ll repeat myself. Around the same time period of Carol becoming Captain Marvel. Aquaman was getting treatment Carol should of also been getting in comics.

Aquaman strongly featured in events like Blackest Night/Brightest Day, as well as Flashpoint events that focus on another character primarily but he still was given opportunities to shine in them.

Aquaman got 3 iconic stories from 2011 onward

1.) The Trench

Which has been rumored to get a spin-off
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hol...pinoff-1192505

2.) The Others

Which I believe got some New York Times award, and is whatÂ’s rumored to be the inspiration for the sequel

3.) Throne of Atlantis

Which got a animated movie and was what the cinematic movie was based off of.

This is all in the last decade that much success off 3 stories. Use that been in the JL for decades excuse all you want but heÂ’s never had that much success until Geoff Johns started pushing for him. WhereÂ’s CarolÂ’s push though?

In comparison what we got from Marvel was a limit to whoÂ’s allowed to write Carol based on gender which is honestly sexism. Several different short lived runs honestly until recently so my props to Thompson for keeping an ongoing as long as she had I think sheÂ’s only beat by ReedÂ’s 2006 Ms Marvel run and ClaremontÂ’s 70 Ms Marvel run but as far as IÂ’m aware as Captain Marvel I donÂ’t think Carol has gotten to an issue 27 and it looks like it will get passed 30 which I know for a fact a Captain Marvel (Carol) comic has yet to do.

But in comparison to Aquaman who IÂ’d argue is pretty comparable with the position Carol was in if not honestly Aquaman was in a worse position. Given there was stigmatism that Johns had to deal with against Aquaman. He stated people told him heÂ’s wasting his time trying to make the character work and he had to deal with the idea of people thinking he was a joke or lame superhero. Carol didnÂ’t have that issue, she wasnÂ’t hated until honestly around 2016/2017. And it illustrates my point on poor handling compared to good handling.

1.) Limiting talent on who can write Carol hurt the character and overall the idea only women can write her can come off sexist. WeÂ’ve probably had about 5 different relaunches of Carol as Captain Marvel since sheÂ’s gotten the name. Whereas Aquaman continued on the same run from 2011-2016 and it only got renumbered due to Rebirth

2.) SheÂ’s had 10/11 years where she could of had good ground breaking stories as Captain Marvel and honestly has nothing to show for it. Her movie legit was the writers mixing and matching different ideas through comics because they didnÂ’t have a particular story to take from. Whereas AquamanÂ’s used Throne of Atlantis

3.) sheÂ’s done nothing of worth in the Avengers comic, and sheÂ’s definitely had opportunities to do so. I canÂ’t really complain because if a writer doesnÂ’t want to utilize a character why demand that they do. They should be able tell the stories they want to tell, but I donÂ’t understand why sheÂ’s on the team to begin with. The coolest thing in her regard thatÂ’s happened so far was a Space Jammers reference which was a nice nod but overall irrelevant. Aaron could of utilized her energy absorption powers during that Starbrand thing as well but he decided heÂ’d rather give She Hulk the ability given sheÂ’s kind of a pet character to him now given he changed her to his liking. She-Hulk has more relevance to his Avengers run than Carol does. The only person that backgrounds as much as Carol does from his original lineup would be Robbie

Overall this kinda is a rant because it does bother me how much they donÂ’t do for the character and how much they did muck up the character. Like instead of telling us sheÂ’s powerful and super Uber why donÂ’t you just show us on screen, blow our minds instead of telling us several months in advance sheÂ’s going to be more powerful than previously existing characters.

The fact she got storylines to make her hated while Aquaman who was disliked was getting the opposite is something else that comes to mind. Her whole handling is just mind blowing to me.

BANNED

Binary was on Thor's level. She was 100 ton weight class -- and she was also on his level in terms of generating power, invulnerability, etc. It is true, however, that she was not really an Avenger when she was Binary.
    You definitely don’t have to tell me. I completely agree she was on Thor’s level as Binary. I think that was the whole point of Binary was for her to be a Uber cosmic character and I remember in Busieks Avengers run that Steve was mentioning for her to go Binary to face off against Hyperion because that’s the only way she’d be able to beat him

Add that to her abilities of manipulating the electromagnetic spectrum, her energy absorption and projection I definitely don’t see why’d their be an issue on her being the most powerful.

She even has those Hulk statements where her power is said to be limitless and without limit in Binary. Her potential honestly was untapped

What's her level now?
    I’d imagine in her base she’d be at a Ironman, Namor, Thing level.

With energy absorption she could exceed that or by using energy to enhance her stats like she did against the Marvel Buster she could exceed that. And be somewhere in between Ironman and Thor

In Binary I’d argue she should be at a Herald esque level. Rivaling characters like Thor abs Hulk and if her more extravagant powers are touched upon even Heralds of Galactus like Surfer. Again in Binary she’s someone that ignores and pushes around black holes bending them to her will and drawing energy from them. She’s tussled with the Phoenix force. Even recently Thompson proved my point of Binary being Uber with the beat down she gave to Namor’s half asgardian son.

36A5C851-861D-4DFA-A04C-044153180966.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I think you stumbled across the wrong universe mate
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 03-06-2021 at 03:43 AM.

Ultimate Member

Ok. Do you think the MCU accurately portrayed her power levels?

BANNED

Ok. Do you think the MCU accurately portrayed her power levels?
    Honestly she didn’t seem that impressive to me in the MCU from a power standpoint the only thing she did that I don’t see comic Carol doing was no sell a headbutt from Thanos and put him on his knees. But then again MCU Thanos is a pale comparison to his comic counterpart. I also don’t see Ironman making Thanos bleed. The Avengers in the farm scene being able to pin him down like they did. Thor with Stormbreaker able to counter a fully assembled gauntlet or Thanos being Hulk strengthen just with greater skill according to statements.

So I honestly don’t see the issue. Outside her interaction with Thanos all she really did was fight spaceships which she can and has done in comics and fly light speed which she’s also done in comics. MCU Carol would be outstated by her comic counterpart like almost every other character would ourstat their live action version. People act like they made her super Uber and did things she wasn’t capable of doing to begin with

Extraordinary Member

Haha, I've read some comics over the years, but only recently got deeper into it. I get what you're saying, but it always bugged me to see these over-the-top physiques.
    In of of the attempts at a Hawkeye series they had a guy with super strength and durability who did NOT have one of those 'perfect' physiques...and it was actually cool the way he was presented.

As for Carol it just seems to me like they have not properly defined her in universe. Editorial has pretty much said "she's all that, a side of onion rings, and a cherry coke" but have not really shown it to me on page. She either goes into space, or some alternate dystopian future or some other thing. I just want to see her in the mainstream reality fighting threats she has the push to get the win and be somehow defined as one of the greats.

As for Binary...I am all for Carol getting back to that level even without getting a 'power up'.

Ultimate Member

Honestly she didn’t seem that impressive to me in the MCU from a power standpoint the only thing she did that I don’t see comic Carol doing was no sell a headbutt from Thanos and put him on his knees. But then again MCU Thanos is a pale comparison to his comic counterpart. I also don’t see Ironman making Thanos bleed. The Avengers in the farm scene being able to pin him down like they did. Thor with Stormbreaker able to counter a fully assembled gauntlet or Thanos being Hulk strengthen just with greater skill according to statements.

So I honestly don’t see the issue. Outside her interaction with Thanos all she really did was fight spaceships which she can and has done in comics and fly light speed which she’s also done in comics. MCU Carol would be outstated by her comic counterpart like almost every other character would ourstat their live action version. People act like they made her super Uber and did things she wasn’t capable of doing to begin with
    I do think she's pretty durable, considering Thanos couldn't beat her without the Power Stone, but as you said he's not as powerful as the comic book version.

I don't get why people got triggered by her being "most powerful". I could see being annoyed at others getting nerfed (I get annoyed at that at times), but I liked Carol being able to actually go all out in the movie, instead of being nerfed just so a less powerful hero can somehow beat the same enemy, like in Infinity War. I came here to see powers!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    As for Carol it just seems to me like they have not properly defined her in universe. Editorial has pretty much said "she's all that, a side of onion rings, and a cherry coke" but have not really shown it to me on page.
    Definitely wanted to say this but you worded it much better. I feel like we get told Carol is really important a lot without anything to actually show for it. She seems like she’s there just so we can see she’s there whether it be on the Avengers or an Event book but she does nothing of note.

I do think she's pretty durable, considering Thanos couldn't beat her without the Power Stone, but as you said he's not as powerful as the comic book version.

I don't get why people got triggered by her being "most powerful".
    Yeah at the end of the day the complaints were pretty unwarranted and it basically was a fear she’d be taking away from the characters people started this whole story following. There was a lot of videos claiming or theorizing she would be the one to take down Thanos.

Ultimate Member

Yeah at the end of the day the complaints were pretty unwarranted and it basically was a fear she’d be taking away from the characters people started this whole story following. There was a lot of videos claiming or theorizing she would be the one to take down Thanos.
    It was an unfounded fear. The writers were never going to make her solely responsible for saving the universe. Yet others complained she didn't do enough in the movie.

Anyone have any predictions for CM2?