Page 24 of 77 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I almost wish Star would go by the name of Binary, just as a big middle finger to Carol.
    She would do that too.

Extraordinary Member

I almost wish Star would go by the name of Binary, just as a big middle finger to Carol.
    I am not a fan of Infinity Gems merging with people and will not mind when a writer comes along and undoes that...but would love to see Star left with powers like Binary and taking the name just to flip the bird at Carol.

Oh? Who is this Star person you speak of? I've been out of the loop on recent comics.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Oh? Who is this Star person you speak of? I've been out of the loop on recent comics.
    She’s a villain that was introduced in Carol’s current run. She is a journalist named Ripley Ryan who was caught up in a supervillain attack early in the run when doing a story on Carol. She suffered major trauma and blamed Carol.

Dr Minerva used her for a set of experiments to siphon off Carol’s power and become a hero of her own called Star while slowly killing Carol. Carol broke this connection and Star instead tried to get power by siphoning off the life force of everyone in the city.

Carol ripped a hole in Star’s chest to take out the device powering her and stop her from killing people.

Star survived and woke up fully healed, with the Reality Stone inside her chest, somehow bonded to her. She can use its power but it’s hard for her to control and it tires her out a ton. It’s still not clear how this happened (a set of annuals about the stones was canceled going into COVID) but she’s had a mini since and then appeared in a Thunderbolts mini and will appear in an upcoming storyline of Black Cat’s book. She sort of hovers between antihero and full villain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I am not a fan of Infinity Gems merging with people and will not mind when a writer comes along and undoes that...but would love to see Star left with powers like Binary and taking the name just to flip the bird at Carol.
    I’m honestly hoping she keeps the reality warping powers. I feel like Moonstone already counters Carol pretty well in having a similar power set plus all the other stuff the moonstone allows her to do.

I think the reality altering will make Star stand out more among Carol’s rogue gallery and make it where Star can appear anywhere in the Marvel Universe which would be great for Carol by connection. If she loses the gem I hope she keeps the powers in some way

BANNED

Nice to see more reviews and positivity in the comments of these review videos to the current run

https://youtu.be/8D5GYMUor80

Thompson has been killing in it.

Thought this video was interesting as well.
    https://youtu.be/MjHT0WvLUiU

Astonishing Member

Interesting recap.

It is nice to see a youtube video not bashing Carol. I haven't been a huge fan of her stories as Captain Marvel, and I really dislike her current uniform, and I was largely 'meh' on the MCU film, but I've always felt Carol Danvers was a great character. I think a lot of people got turned off by the constant push of her as Captain Marvel -- the strong push to make her appear less feminine --- Civil War II -- the crazy new origin, etc.

I'd still like to see a new uniform that would give the character a needed reset, but that seems unlikely.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Someone had already established that her link to her power source -- a white hole, if I remember? -- was undependable. I just didn't hook her back up to it again, because I thought:

(a) she looked better and more Avenger-y in the Cockrum Ms. Marvel suit,

(b) giving her more varied and situational power sources was interesting,

(c) it gave her another point of stress to feed into the alcoholism storyline, and

(d) yeah, characters who do "big not-terribly-well-defined energy" things can be a problem in team books. Thor's powerful, but his power expresses itself in varied and specific ways (and even then Thor fans always wanted to know why anyone else on the team got the chance to do anything, why couldn't Thor do it all?); the Surfer's powerful in a way I wouldn't put in Avengers. Binary felt more Surfer-y to me, so given that her power was already in flux, she'd be a more useful and dramatic character if she was still potentially plenty powerful but had to be resourceful and had something to hide.

But as with anything else, that power disconnect could always be restored.

kdb
    Wow! Didn't expect Kurt to weigh in. Even though I wasn't happy with the power loss, as a fan of Ms. Marvel, I was ecstatic when Carol was brought back in to the Avengers. Kurt had mentioned the possibility, I think in Wizard magazine, so it didn't completely take me by surprise. Despite being a huge Dave Cockrum fan, I can't say that Binary was his best design, but it did work for cosmic level stories -- and the white made a great contrast with her red skin. When she goes binary these days -- the effect ain't that great due to lack of contrast.

Kurt is absolutely correct in that he played a huge role in Carol's revival -- even though, I think Brian Bendis is often credited more for some reason. Maybe in the future, whatever she's wearing should go bright white when she taps into Binary level power.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Nice to see more reviews and positivity in the comments of these review videos to the current run

https://youtu.be/8D5GYMUor80

Thompson has been killing in it.

Thought this video was interesting as well.
    https://youtu.be/MjHT0WvLUiU
    I’ll post mine when they are released on comic-watch.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    Not much, unfortunately. Wanda was Carol's best friend on the team but nowadays it's just like they we're strangers.
    Wanda's brief scenes with Carol in "Star" made me think Thompson would have a good take on their relationship, with Wanda more hopeful that Ripley could be redeemed and Carol more cynical. That's what I like about their dynamic when writers remember Carol and Wanda are friends. Wanda is a more old-fashioned kind of heroine in her attitude and her power set. Carol is tougher and less certain that everything will work out in the end. But they respect each other.

I hope the success of Wanda's show, and the way it nodded to that silly "who's more powerful, Carol or Wanda?" argument, creates some interest in letting Thompson write them together more... but I'm not super optimistic, since there have been so many missed chances to have Wanda show up in "Captain Marvel."

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Wanda's brief scenes with Carol in "Star" made me think Thompson would have a good take on their relationship, with Wanda more hopeful that Ripley could be redeemed and Carol more cynical. That's what I like about their dynamic when writers remember Carol and Wanda are friends. Wanda is a more old-fashioned kind of heroine in her attitude and her power set. Carol is tougher and less certain that everything will work out in the end. But they respect each other.

I hope the success of Wanda's show, and the way it nodded to that silly "who's more powerful, Carol or Wanda?" argument, creates some interest in letting Thompson write them together more... but I'm not super optimistic, since there have been so many missed chances to have Wanda show up in "Captain Marvel."
    I feel like the shared connection with Monica now might bring them together in the MCU, assuming Carol doesn't find out about Westview and Monica getting changed and blame Wanda for it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Interesting recap.

It is nice to see a youtube video not bashing Carol. I haven't been a huge fan of her stories as Captain Marvel, and I really dislike her current uniform, and I was largely 'meh' on the MCU film, but I've always felt Carol Danvers was a great character. I think a lot of people got turned off by the constant push of her as Captain Marvel -- the strong push to make her appear less feminine --- Civil War II -- the crazy new origin, etc.

I'd still like to see a new uniform that would give the character a needed reset, but that seems unlikely.
    Honestly like the Captain Marvel uniform and despise the black leotard. Id take the Warbird suit over the leotard. But ironically I preferred the Ms Marvel name. Though I’m fine with Captain Marvel as well.

Definitely in agreement I hated the time period where people were calling Carol “Carl Manvers” and I’m glad it seems to be gone given she’s not drawn a certain way now. Some of the art was just downright tragical

I’ll post mine when they are released on comic-watch.
    Look forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Honestly like the Captain Marvel uniform and despise the black leotard.

Marvel should just spilt the difference and hand the costume off to Star
    because it's way too popular to keep out of rotation. Most people associate it with the character making a triumphant comeback into the Marvel Universe proper (Busiek's Avengers run) and had the highest sales on her own (Brian Reed's run) title.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-02-2021 at 10:46 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

Marvel should just spilt the difference and hand the costume off to Star
    because it's way too popular to keep out of rotation. Most people associate it with the character making a triumphant comeback into the Marvel Universe proper (Busiek's Avengers run) and had the highest sales on her own (Brian Reed's run) title.
    Idk. I like Star’s current costume. Maybe lose all the white tho.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    She’s a villain that was introduced in Carol’s current run. She is a journalist named Ripley Ryan who was caught up in a supervillain attack early in the run when doing a story on Carol. She suffered major trauma and blamed Carol.

Dr Minerva used her for a set of experiments to siphon off Carol’s power and become a hero of her own called Star while slowly killing Carol. Carol broke this connection and Star instead tried to get power by siphoning off the life force of everyone in the city.

Carol ripped a hole in Star’s chest to take out the device powering her and stop her from killing people.

Star survived and woke up fully healed, with the Reality Stone inside her chest, somehow bonded to her. She can use its power but it’s hard for her to control and it tires her out a ton. It’s still not clear how this happened (a set of annuals about the stones was canceled going into COVID) but she’s had a mini since and then appeared in a Thunderbolts mini and will appear in an upcoming storyline of Black Cat’s book. She sort of hovers between antihero and full villain.
    That set of annuals was just re-announced. The Black Cat story is a tie-in.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman