Page 55 of 77 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Out of all the main Avengers, only Thor really has a big one. Captain America has an ok one, and Iron Man, Hulk, Dr. Strange, Ant-man, Black Panther, etc, are all a bit meh.

Carol has Moonstone, and maybe Ronan and Supreme Intelligence
    And the lady she wrongly accused of being a terrorist...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    And the lady she wrongly accused of being a terrorist...
    The one from Empyre?

Extraordinary Member

The one from Empyre?
    From Civil War II.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Alison_Green_(Earth-616)

I really had an issue with the follow up to that in the Jessica Jones series that had her try to enact some elaborate revenge plot. Just sue like a normal person for violation of civil rights and run a PR campaign against Carol.

Ultimate Member

From Civil War II.

I really had an issue with the follow up to that in the Jessica Jones series that had her try to enact some elaborate revenge plot. Just sue like a normal person for violation of civil rights and run a PR campaign against Carol.
    Oh yeah. Back when they decided to make Carol not care about civil rights. That was a mess.

Extraordinary Member

The first thing that came to mind is maybe Brie Larson doesn't want to stick around and the rebranding is a way of soft-rebooting the series.

Pure speculation of course, but as others are saying, it doesn't really make sense to drop "Captain Marvel" from the title after that movie was so successful.

Hopefully my speculation is wrong, because there's a lot more she could do with the character if they gave her more to work with.

Extraordinary Member

Oh yeah. Back when they decided to make Carol not care about civil rights. That was a mess.
    Between this plot line and Jessica Drew telling Carol where to go and what to do with herself when she gets there over Hulk's death...they just went back to normal way to quick for me. There should have been serious consequences for Carol after that. they should not have gotten her and Jessica's friendship back...at least not as quick as they did...and Carol's military career should have been tanked over a class action civil rights lawsuit. And maybe had her crawl back into the bottle.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The first thing that came to mind is maybe Brie Larson doesn't want to stick around and the rebranding is a way of soft-rebooting the series.

Pure speculation of course, but as others are saying, it doesn't really make sense to drop "Captain Marvel" from the title after that movie was so successful.

Hopefully my speculation is wrong, because there's a lot more she could do with the character if they gave her more to work with.
    I wouldn't buy into that speculation just yet. A lot of the "Brie is leaving" is probably just alt-right clickbait.

Between this plot line and Jessica Drew telling Carol where to go and what to do with herself when she gets there over Hulk's death...they just went back to normal way to quick for me. There should have been serious consequences for Carol after that. they should not have gotten her and Jessica's friendship back...at least not as quick as they did...and Carol's military career should have been tanked over a class action civil rights lawsuit. And maybe had her crawl back into the bottle.
    Since when do heroes suffer consequences? Isn't Civil War 1 about them not facing consequences? I don't totally disagree with you, but if they decide to change a character just to justify a storyline, maybe moving on is the best idea. Or, they could be overall consistent with the heroes.

I
    Since when do heroes suffer consequences? Isn't Civil War 1 about them not facing consequences? I don't totally disagree with you, but if they decide to change a character just to justify a storyline, maybe moving on is the best idea. Or, they could be overall consistent with the heroes.
    Usually the consequences are used against female characters. never really see much of this consequences talk about male characters screweing up (and they do a lot)
    Last edited by Rang10; 05-03-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Usually the consequences are used against female characters. never really see much of this consequences about mae characters screweing up (and they do a lot)
    But I thought only women had no flaws!

So Kelly Thompson implied on Twitter that the title of her next arc will be "The Marvels"

it's not sitting right with me that from all the other MCU leads they choose the only woman (for now, BW isn't out) to change the tittle... other characters got tons of new heroes in their movies but didn't change the tittle

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    So Kelly Thompson implied on Twitter that the title of her next arc will be "The Marvels"
    Weird early movie synergy, but I'm guessing the purpose is the same.

I kind of doubt it, but I wonder if Phyla and Teddy might be in it.

Astonishing Member

From Civil War II.

I always took that storyline to prove that Ulysses' vision was RIGHT about her all along. They may not have been able to find the proof of it at the time, but that woman was clearly connected with terrorist groups or super-villains. Like you said, a normal civilian would just pursue legal action against Carol. This woman has contacts in the criminal underground to be able to employ super-villains to use for revenge AND her revenge plan is to murder teenage heroes who were not involved in her arrest, as a way of making Carol suffer. This is NOT the thinking of an innocent victim of profiling and mistaken identity, and a normal civilian should not have the contacts and resources to start hiring super-villains to work for her.

Carol didn't come off great in that if you only read the main CWII book. However several of the tie-ins (like her own solo book, and the SPIDER-WOMAN book) showed how hard Carol was working to try and make sure that the program didn't violate people's rights, and to verify Ulysses' visions and his accuracy rate, etc. People are still going to have their opinions on the rightness or wrongness of both sides of what went on in CWII, of course, but the main event book really didn't do a good job of showing a fair balance of Carol's side of the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Weird early movie synergy, but I'm guessing the purpose is the same.

I kind of doubt it, but I wonder if Phyla and Teddy might be in it.
    Not really if you think about floppies aren't affected by movies very much but trades do well. Having a couple trades in the bag before a movie seems like a smart choice.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-04-2021 at 03:55 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I always took that storyline to prove that Ulysses' vision was RIGHT about her all along. They may not have been able to find the proof of it at the time, but that woman was clearly connected with terrorist groups or super-villains. Like you said, a normal civilian would just pursue legal action against Carol. This woman has contacts in the criminal underground to be able to employ super-villains to use for revenge AND her revenge plan is to murder teenage heroes who were not involved in her arrest, as a way of making Carol suffer. This is NOT the thinking of an innocent victim of profiling and mistaken identity, and a normal civilian should not have the contacts and resources to start hiring super-villains to work for her.

Carol didn't come off great in that if you only read the main CWII book. However several of the tie-ins (like her own solo book, and the SPIDER-WOMAN book) showed how hard Carol was working to try and make sure that the program didn't violate people's rights, and to verify Ulysses' visions and his accuracy rate, etc. People are still going to have their opinions on the rightness or wrongness of both sides of what went on in CWII, of course, but the main event book really didn't do a good job of showing a fair balance of Carol's side of the argument.
    However it was shown that Stevil Rogers had manipulated it so that Ulysses's had that vision. And the the contacts she had were undercover SHIELD agents. I just think over all she would have been better used as a passive threat calling for new registration and oversight laws for super heroes.

Also...if you look at several of the things that happened...it was what I call The Oedipus Effect. By trying to stop the vision from coming to pass...you actually cause it to happen.

If they had left Banner alone he would never have changed to the Hulk
    If Carol had not attacked Luke Cage then the prison riot/break would not have happened.
    and so on...