Page 12 of 77 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    I don't like this at all. Her leaving earth for 20 years and not being there for Monica. There is no justification for that.

Also, the million-dollar question, Why does Kamala idolize Captain Marvel in MCU? A character that is barely been on Earth. I thought she might have been on earth after snap and Blip
    She definitely was there for Maria because she was on earth when the cancer came back, there are theories she cut her hair because of Maria's chemo but we don't why she never came back before. For Kamala they must've recorded the battle somehow because everybody at SWORD knows about it and none of them were there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonHoran View Post
    She definitely was there for Maria because she was on earth when the cancer came back, there are theories she cut her hair because of Maria's chemo but we don't why she never came back before. For Kamala they must've recorded the battle somehow because everybody at SWORD knows about it and none of them were there.
    Yeah. Maybe Kamala wasn’t snapped. And Carol Was partly on Earth between 2018-2023

I mean, in reality not every family relationship is healthy.
    I don't mind it being unhealthy, but I don't want it flat-out abusive enough that Carol's mom should have just divorced the bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yeah. Maybe Kamala wasn’t snapped. And Carol Was partly on Earth between 2018-2023
    I wonder if they'll show it in Ms Marvel or keep saving it for CM 2 and also it the sequel is going to be more earth focused (i hope not).

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I don't mind it being unhealthy, but I don't want it flat-out abusive enough that Carol's mom should have just divorced the bastard.
    Yes, Marie deserved better.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    I don't like this at all. Her leaving earth for 20 years and not being there for Monica. There is no justification for that.

Also, the million-dollar question, Why does Kamala idolize Captain Marvel in MCU? A character that is barely been on Earth. I thought she might have been on earth after snap and Blip
    Why do people even call her Captain Marvel? She's never introduced herself that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    And to be honest it didn't really make sense with the Kree Warrior retcon.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Why do people even call her Captain Marvel? She's never introduced herself that way.
    Yeah, that too. They have a lot of explaining to do with CM2 like where was Carol for 20 years and why she is called Captain Marvel .

Isn't Carol Danvers still considered dead in the MCU? She might have told them to call her Captain Marvel to have her real identity stay dead?

So only the Avengers, Fury and Monica would know who she really is.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Isn't Carol Danvers still considered dead in the MCU? She might have told them to call her Captain Marvel to have her real identity stay dead?
    Possibly...? I don't know if that would be necessary, though. What consequences would she face if the world found she was still alive? Steve Rogers kept his real identity after being presumed dead for 70 years.

Astonishing Member

I mean, in reality not every family relationship is healthy.
    This is true. On the other hand virtually every mainstream Marvel hero who isn’t a Spider has terrible parents at this point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Setting aside that they gradually ratcheted up how bad Daddy Danvers was over the decades; didn’t Carol cut her family out when she originally joined the Air Force (and was maybe no so compassionate about her eldest brother’s death)?
    She didn't really cut them off. Her mom was supportive of her decision to join. There's some inconsistency in when her brother died too between reed, KSD and claremont. Under reed Steve died before she joined, under KSD and Claremont Steve died after she joined (and Steve introduced her to Helen Cobb), though that can be because her memories may not be as reliable. Claremont additionally wrote the part of Carol trapped inside rogue visiting her big brother's grave (but the part inside Carol's old body who didn't have the emotional connection was unable to feel anything including for mar-vell and that perhaps also influenced her perception of her memories).

We also do know from Claremont that he did have abusive tendencies.

Like Carol under Chris recalls things like Joe beating the fuck outta her when she hitchhiked once, she said things like "they say those who love you hurt you.... well dad loved me very much" and at one point she knocked him out when he was being overly stubborn about being saved by her and she thought "that was long time coming" and just always yelling at her or belittling her because she couldn't remember a time they weren't fighting. Like it was portrayed as emotionally and physically abusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know, but it still stands as a sore point with her, characterization-wise.
    Even after getting her emotions back she generally seems too busy otherwise.
    She never really got her emotions back. Infact she lost even more of herself in KSD's captain marvel with her sacrifice in enemy within. So when in Thompsons run we hear her recall her time stuck inside rogue i was a bit weirded out bc im not exactly sure when she got those memories and emotions back (maybe infinity countdown bc of the reality stone?)
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 02-07-2021 at 04:51 AM.

BANNED

Anyway, as far as the wandavision show goes, here's the thing, I feel like people are perhaps not taking the whole picture in. Monica chooses a drone that has carol's colors. Monica wears a pendant that has the 8 pointed star similar to the hala star. The first thing monica remembers when she got snapped back is carol going "Lt Trouble". While these can all be intentionally laid out as misleading for example

a) the colors of the drone have other meaning to Monica related to Maria
    b) the pendant symbol isn't the halastar but the northstar tying in to monica's time as harbor patrol
    c) she was just remembering someone who she wished was there but wasn't during the snappening

there is an alternate interpretation for her reaction to Jimmy Woo's suggestion of Captain Marvel being strong enough to take Thanos. She doesn't want them to think Carol is a viable option to call to take out Scarlet Witch so she's downplaying her strength or deflecting, because she doesn't want Carol to die to Wanda so close to Maria dying herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    We also do know from Claremont that he did have abusive tendencies.

Like Carol under Chris recalls things like Joe beating the fuck outta her when she hitchhiked once, she said things like "they say those who love you hurt you.... well dad loved me very much" and at one point she knocked him out when he was being overly stubborn about being saved by her and she thought "that was long time coming" and just always yelling at her or belittling her because she couldn't remember a time they weren't fighting. Like it was portrayed as emotionally and physically abusive.
    While part of the problem is probably just writers ignoring what each other wrote, I can't help but wonder if Claremont thought that writers were too soft on Joe and was trying to show that that sort of toxic male mindset leads to literal abuse (and even then, Carol knocking out Joe was portrayed more for comedy than anything else).

In any case, it shows the problem of trying to address both by saying "actually, Carol's dad was just scared because of this huge retcon we added in and he really did love his family even though he was an abusive shit".

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post

So only the Avengers, Fury and Monica would know who she really is.
    The only reason I could think of her wanting people to think she's dead is because she doesn't want to deal with what happened to the Danvers' or what's left of them after she left.

Well, that and possibly she just wasn't sure what to do about the Rambeau's when she came back (either before or after Monica was unsnapped).
    She never really got her emotions back. Infact she lost even more of herself in KSD's captain marvel with her sacrifice in enemy within. So when in Thompsons run we hear her recall her time stuck inside rogue i was a bit weirded out bc im not exactly sure when she got those memories and emotions back (maybe infinity countdown bc of the reality stone?)
    Even DeConnick was kind of inconsistent about how much of an impact that had on her. Nobody really writes her as someone who has been mindwiped or rendered emotionally distant as much as she has, at least consistently.
    Anyway, as far as the wandavision show goes, here's the thing, I feel like people are perhaps not taking the whole picture in. Monica chooses a drone that has carol's colors. Monica wears a pendant that has the 8 pointed star similar to the hala star. The first thing monica remembers when she got snapped back is carol going "Lt Trouble". While these can all be intentionally laid out as misleading for example

a) the colors of the drone have other meaning to Monica related to Maria
    b) the pendant symbol isn't the halastar but the northstar tying in to monica's time as harbor patrol
    c) she was just remembering someone who she wished was there but wasn't during the snappening

there is an alternate interpretation for her reaction to Jimmy Woo's suggestion of Captain Marvel being strong enough to take Thanos. She doesn't want them to think Carol is a viable option to call to take out Scarlet Witch so she's downplaying her strength or deflecting, because she doesn't want Carol to die to Wanda so close to Maria dying herself.
    I don't think there was any chance that they could call in Captain Marvel to deal with Wanda. Jimmy wasn't broaching the topic at all, it just seemed like Monica was a having a lot of strong feelings when it came to Carol.

BANNED

------------
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 02-07-2021 at 12:59 PM.