Page 13 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Even DeConnick was kind of inconsistent about how much of an impact that had on her. Nobody really writes her as someone who has been mindwiped or rendered emotionally distant as much as she has, at least consistently.
    It's still always written as her reason for not being close with her family, and she's made multiple attempts to reconnect by that point each time this being the reason it hasn't been successful. Like with her mom being disturbed the fact that her daughter may be dead or the part of her daughter she spent years with being dead, and carol also realizing that that part of her is dead or severed. It should be the consistent reason why she can't connect anymore, well, up until stohl's Life of CM after infinity countdown.

I don't think there was any chance that they could call in Captain Marvel to deal with Wanda. Jimmy wasn't broaching the topic at all, it just seemed like Monica was a having a lot of strong feelings when it came to Carol.
    They said they had allies in space and a power level argument is a subtle way to broach "what if we could call them"

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    While part of the problem is probably just writers ignoring what each other wrote, I can't help but wonder if Claremont thought that writers were too soft on Joe and was trying to show that that sort of toxic male mindset leads to literal abuse (and even then, Carol knocking out Joe was portrayed more for comedy than anything else).

In any case, it shows the problem of trying to address both by saying "actually, Carol's dad was just scared because of this huge retcon we added in and he really did love his family even though he was an abusive ****".
    Under claremont he still did love her, in whatever way you can imagine where abuse still happens. Like her mom would try to bridge the gap and carol would acknowledge that he did love her even though i don't know how. I guess its more that carol had her dreams and goals that were incompatible with his belief system so he tried to make her fit in it while she never really could leading to all that friction.

Well, that goes into my other theory that a lot of Claremont's writings are unfortunately kind of dated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    They said they had allies in space and a power level argument is a subtle way to broach "what if we could call them".
    It felt like a fanboy moment more than a serious discussion about bringing Carol in. I don't know if the Avengers left the government any way of directly contacting her in case something happens on Earth.

from uncanny x-men 171: Carol and her family (by Claremont)

UXM171.jpg
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

BANNED

Well, that goes into my other theory that a lot of Claremont's writings are unfortunately kind of dated.
    They are dated in many ways but "your abuser can also love you" isn't a dated concept. Much more criticized but Even infinity war had it with Thanos/Gamora and his love is validated by the soul stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    This is what I meant by even her mom was disturbed by what would see inside carol, or the lack thereof.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 02-07-2021 at 08:03 PM.

They are dated in many ways but "your abuser can also love you" isn't a dated concept. Much more criticized but Even infinity war had it with Thanos/Gamora and his love is validated by the soul stone.
    Yeah, but it didn't imply that the Thanos/Gamora relationship could be fixed.

BANNED

Yeah, but it didn't imply that the Thanos/Gamora relationship could be fixed.
    neither did the comics one... atleast for a long time.
    Like carol accepted he'd never accept her as who she wanted to be and would continue to belittle her no matter how old she got even if he can't do anything physical.
    Ultimately he just died.

The kree retcon nonsense is kind of a swerve tho

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

UXM171.jpg
    So who started the Daddy Danvers was bad all along? Iceman's dad got the same treatment.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

To be crude for a moment “My daddy hugged with his fists/crippling emotional scarring/other/worse” is/has been the Ur-cliche of superhero origins for a while

neither did the comics one... atleast for a long time.
    Like carol accepted he'd never accept her as who she wanted to be and would continue to belittle her no matter how old she got even if he can't do anything physical.
    Ultimately he just died.

The kree retcon nonsense is kind of a swerve tho
    Well, that was more after Claremont left. And even then, it was made clear to partially be because of the emotional damage thing.

UXM171.jpg
    Makes sense that Marie rumbled her secret identity considering that it later turned out that she's a Kree.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

So I’m confused. Carol is the middle child, right?

She had an older brother and younger brothers.

How is she the only one of Marie’s children to have KREE genes.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

Have we seen any of her siblings besides her brother, recently?

BANNED

Under claremont she was the oldest
    Under reed she was the middle child
    Under KSD she went back to being the oldest

Under Stohl she's the youngest and Joe Sr had kids with a woman before meeting Mari-ell so they're not even her biological kids. Like Joe Jr and Steve are carols older half siblings, no Kree genes. Just a complete swerve like I said.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 02-08-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Life of Captain Marvel also retconned that her brothers are older and from a previous marriage.