Page 25 of 77 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Nice to see more reviews and positivity in the comments of these review videos to the current run

https://youtu.be/8D5GYMUor80

Thompson has been killing in it.

Thought this video was interesting as well.
    https://youtu.be/MjHT0WvLUiU
    Enjoyed watching that, thanks for posting. Captain Marvel is always the first book I read when I get my pull list each month. Its been brilliant - my only real complaint is that the most recent story felt a little rushed towards the end.

Fingers crossed for more Brigid.

Edit: wow, those comments on the second video
    Last edited by Harps; 03-03-2021 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Idk. I like Star’s current costume. Maybe lose all the white tho.
    Nah, just hand her the black Ms Marvel costume and call it a day.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

I don't know if this the right place to ask this, but can anyone explain to me why this character draws so much negativity? I don't get it. I've seen people get annoyed at her being the most powerful in the MCU or being the top female heroine of Marvel or stuff like that. What's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't know if this the right place to ask this, but can anyone explain to me why this character draws so much negativity? I don't get it. I've seen people get annoyed at her being the most powerful in the MCU or being the top female heroine of Marvel or stuff like that. What's the problem?
    you already answered it: because she is a female powerful superhero. The fact that her actual costume and the most iconic isn't the cheesecake one really pissed off people
    For some reason seems like Brie became a troll magnet too

BANNED

Eh.. I’m someone I think would understand both sides of it though admittedly I guess I’m
    appointing myself to that position. I’d argue it’s poor handling and bad PR.

1.) When the character was getting more of a push it was a variation of stuff people didn’t like. They thought that they were trying to make Carol more masculine to make some SJW point and a lot weren’t fond of stuff to be blunt like drawing her a certain way there’s panels where you honestly couldn’t tell she was a female in some books and it seemed consistent with her for awhile I remember reading a comic with her and another female with short blonde hair in the comic it might of been Dazzler in the A force series but Dazzler still looked feminine while at times Carol didn’t.

They’d flattened her chest in some depictions, chisel her face, and she’d lose her hips. In came people trolling and starting to don her as Carl Manvers. This was where the trolls got some form of traction.

2.) there the people that don’t like her being Captain Marvel. I think the biggest faction against it were probably Billy Bateson fans. You have people that want her to get flack either saying it’s a disservice to Mar-Vell or that it’s not fair to Monica. Usually one or the other and not both because it wouldn’t make sense given lore wise. Carol should have more claim to the name given she actually had a connection to Mar-Vell.

3.) The Mary Sue complaint. I think all the stuff prior is what got people already making videos before her debut and other stuff but when they stated she’d be the most powerful the internet went up into flames because you have those people who want their favorite whether it be Thor or Hulk to be the most powerful and it destroys everything they know. I’m honestly surprised Scarlett doesn’t get flack for this. But then again the idea wasn’t really thrown at our face like it was with Carol who we didn’t even get a chance to meet yet before all these power tier discussions on her became a thing

4.) Brie Larson complaint. I’d start by saying I don’t have an issue with Larson but she did do a lot of damage to the character when it comes to all this hate. A lot of her stances on stuff and saying stuff like “this movies not for you” was a good way to rustle jimmies and make more material for these hate channels to feed off of. A lot of them would even tie stuff she’d post on her social media and have to remind everyone she’s the actress playing captain Marvel. Like for example “Captain Marvel actress says she felt offended cause man asked her out”

5.) I’d argue not really having any or much iconic story runs hurts as well and attempts like Civil War 2... and the fact she’s been routinely relaunched has annoyed readers who wanted their favorite characters to get as many chances as Carol.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    you already answered it: because she is a female powerful superhero. The fact that her actual costume and the most iconic isn't the cheesecake one really pissed off people
    For some reason seems like Brie became a troll magnet too
    Ok. She's not my favorite, but she's ok. And I like her appearance not being "cheesecake". Plus it was nice in the MCU to see a female hero actually use her powers to the fullest extent.

I've seen people call her "Manvers" and say Rogue should put her in a coma and stuff like that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFace[QUOdKid View Post
    Eh.. I’m someone I think would understand both sides of it though admittedly I guess I’m
    appointing myself to that position. I’d argue it’s poor handling and bad PR.

1.) When the character was getting more of a push it was a variation of stuff people didn’t like. They thought that they were trying to make Carol more masculine to make some SJW point and a lot weren’t fond of stuff to be blunt like drawing her a certain way there’s panels where you honestly couldn’t tell she was a female in some books and it seemed consistent with her for awhile I remember reading a comic with her and another female with short blonde hair in the comic it might of been Dazzler in the A force series but Dazzler still looked feminine while at times Carol didn’t.

They’d flattened her chest in some depictions, chisel her face, and she’d lose her hips. In came people trolling and starting to don her as Carl Manvers. This was where the trolls got some form of traction.
    Doesn't seem like a problem. It's nice to acknowledge not all women look the same, and that short hair is ok for superheroines, even if the specific design of this character may not have been great. Besides, every other female hero is already oversexualized. Frankly the term "feminine' itself is sexist to me.

2.) there the people that don’t like her being Captain Marvel. I think the biggest faction against it were probably Billy Bateson fans. You have people that want her to get flack either saying it’s a disservice to Mar-Vell or that it’s not fair to Monica. Usually one or the other and not both because it wouldn’t make sense given lore wise. Carol should have more claim to the name given she actually had a connection to Mar-Vell.
    Isn't she the most popular Captain Marvel? Shazam isn't popular until recently, right. Same with Mar-Vell, although I didn't really like how little he was used in the movie.

3.) The Mary Sue complaint. I think all the stuff prior is what got people already making videos before her debut and other stuff but when they stated she’d be the most powerful the internet went up into flames because you have those people who want their favorite whether it be Thor or Hulk to be the most powerful and it destroys everything they know. I’m honestly surprised Scarlett doesn’t get flack for this. But then again the idea wasn’t really thrown at our face like it was with Carol who we didn’t even get a chance to meet yet before all these power tier discussions on her became a thing
    I'm tired of the Mary Sue term. It's mostly used on women. I saw this business as just hype. A year and half later and Scarlet Witch is the most popular.

4.) Brie Larson complaint. I’d start by saying I don’t have an issue with Larson but she did do a lot of damage to the character when it comes to all this hate. A lot of her stances on stuff and saying stuff like “this movies not for you” was a good way to rustle jimmies and make more material for these hate channels to feed off of. A lot of them would even tie stuff she’d post on her social media and have to remind everyone she’s the actress playing captain Marvel. Like for example “Captain Marvel actress says she felt offended cause man asked her out”
    Wasn't she just calling for more diversity for film criticism? How she did it was awkward and could have been delivered better, but I'm ok with the general message.

5.) I’d argue not really having any or much iconic story runs hurts as well and attempts like Civil War 2... and the fact she’s been routinely relaunched has annoyed readers who wanted their favorite characters to get as many chances as Carol.
    Can't speak to this one, but we all want our favorite characters to shine from time to time.

I appreciate the in-depth response. thanks

hating a character for not having iconic runs is really wild

Ok. She's not my favorite, but she's ok. And I like her appearance not being "cheesecake". Plus it was nice in the MCU to see a female hero actually use her powers to the fullest extent.

I've seen people call her "Manvers" and say Rogue should put her in a coma and stuff like that.
    Never made sense put her on a bathsuit, she is militar woman that prefers to be practical. And she was never the romantic type, so wear cheesecake is even more out of question.

The hate really is strong, I think the way women and girls started to identify with her after she became cap marvel really pissed some guys.
    For some reason they always use women to shut down other women. Like I always see people talking about Jean beating out Wanda. I like both , so this really is awful.
    Last edited by Rang10; 03-05-2021 at 02:55 PM.

BANNED

I’m to lazy to quote the same way lmao but I’ll branch off in paragraphs to reply

I definitely agree that a lot of female characters are oversexualized honestly male ones are too. With theirs abs usually being the defining feature and I’ve never been big on costumes like Carol’s black leotard one or Wonder Woman’s swimsuit though I do think it works for characters like Powergirl. Regardless of all that in my opinion I think the issue comes from changing a characters physical appearance. People prefer familiarity. Over on Aquaman threads you’d have continuous discussions on whether he should have a beard or long hair/short hair or hook hand or not. Superman’s S curl, and Dr. Strange’s temples have been staples to the characters despite if they get a new costume or not. If you make a character physically recognizable I think your prone to getting some initial backlash and making a character not sexually appealing in a pretty male dominant platform like comic books is definitely not a safe bet in helping a character succeed in my opinion. So I’d argue a lack of a sex appeal and recognizability was an issue.

I’m honestly not sure. I think back in 2010 and around the time she became Captain Marvel I’d imagine Billy Batson had a much bigger fanbase. At this point I’d imagine Carol would probably be the most well known and popular character to don the title. Even throwing Shazam into the mix but you still have that band of nostalgic old heads who linger in the shadows hating on the character. There’s a guy on this forum that would be making some pretty dubious threads in regards to Carol for example lol and he has the Captain Marvel name in his user yet never seems to comment on Carol’s main thread ironically.

My issue with the Mary Sue claim is it makes no sense... Being powerful doesn’t make you a Mary Sue. Creating powers out of your ass like Silver Age Superman or like Wonder Woman in her 1984 movie and just happening to be good at everything Batman are Mary Sue qualities. The whole Mary Sue point makes no sense for Carol given she struggled in her movie and then when she got her powers there was no reason for her to struggle given no one was reasonably on par with her. That’s not a Mary Sue. She struggled against Thanos in Endgame both at the farm scene and against 2010 Thanos. Im pretty sure Wanda is learning magic out of thin air right now with no teacher I’d argue that’s more Mary Sue then anything Carol has done.

In that particular instance that was probably her intent but in her position her wording didn’t help. Which isn’t her fault but more on trolls. But again she does have some questionable views atleast in my opinion on some things. I think for example she made a big deal about someone asking her out at the airport and that was something a lot of these hate channels fuel off to increase the hate bandwagon.

On the last point she does have good stories but none of those stories that Thor gets that are big crossover stories or that Hulk gets or even Black Panther had that whole Doomswar story

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    hating a character for not having iconic runs is really wild
    Not necessarily hating I think it’s more criticism on the character. With Marvel trying to make her their answer for Wonder Woman without that type of Gail Simone, Morrison or Robinson type writing for the character. Or in universe importance.

She doesn’t really ever shake up the Marvel universe like Thor, Ironman, Hulk character like Spider-Man and Captain America have. Where’d you have story arcs where it’s up to Steve to say the Marvel Earth or Spider-Man even to. Their attempt to a story like that for her was Civil War 2...
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 03-05-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Ultimate Member

I don't know about Brie personally, or what the airport incident was about, but if she didn't want to be asked out at the airport, that's ok. I don't know how exactly she handled it.

I feel like Mary Sue just is something alt-right YouTubers and their ilk throw at powerful female characters. I don't use the term, because I like to be specific about my criticisms.

personally, I don't recall Shazam having a huge fanbase. But that's just me.

But the sex appeal thing is really stupid. Characters don't exist for anyone to ogle. And Brie Larson is still a thin, conventionally attractive young white woman. Her having short hair isn't going to castrate men.

From what I can gather, most of the opposition to her is mostly nothing. I just don't get it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Not necessarily hating I think it’s more criticism on the character. With Marvel trying to make her their answer for Wonder Woman without that type of Gail Simone, Morrison or Robinson type writing for the character.

No stories like A league of one. Iconic stuff like All Star Superman or Death of Superman. Which I could definitely see it happening I think stuff like Captain Marvel: The End are attempts at that and Thompson might become a staple to the Carol mythos.
    Well, a character can't get iconic runs if she's not used.

Well, a character can't get iconic runs if she's not used.
    Yes. Also you can count in one hand the number of iron man and captain america iconic runs.
    It's not easy get a iconic run.

Even Wonder Woman has few iconic runs, 2 or 3. Supergirl basically has only two. These two basically have together + 130 years

We have to give time for the character establishes, for now Thompson has everything to be the iconic run for Carol
    Last edited by Rang10; 03-05-2021 at 03:15 PM.

BANNED

I don't know about Brie personally, or what the airport incident was about, but if she didn't want to be asked out at the airport, that's ok. I don't know how exactly she handled it.

I feel like Mary Sue just is something alt-right YouTubers and their ilk throw at powerful female characters. I don't use the term, because I like to be specific about my criticisms.

personally, I don't recall Shazam having a huge fanbase. But that's just me.

But the sex appeal thing is really stupid. Characters don't exist for anyone to ogle. And Brie Larson is still a thin, conventionally attractive young white woman. Her having short hair isn't going to castrate men.

From what I can gather, most of the opposition to her is mostly nothing. I just don't get it.
    I don’t think anyone faulted her for not wanting to be asked out. I think it was more of a issue that she made a big deal about it and was labeling it as sexual harassment and “how dare he” that’s atleast the direction hate videos take it.

I think the whole Mary Sue thing is just when people don’t want a character to be at a certain power level because it disrupts their belief because I’ve been in a lot of arguments on YouTube about the exact topic and none of the complaints make sense. Where you can argue with one guy saying she was never meant to be that powerful and she’s not even that powerful in relations to other characters in the same universe. And then I’ll bring up stuff like the fact that Ironman is arguably more powerful than Hulk in the MCU and it’s not like that in the comics or the fact Thanos should be tiers above characters like Thor but it doesn’t seem like it’s much of a gap. Or I’ll bring up Binary and the fact her potential is pretty unknown and she could potentially be more powerful because of that. Binary being the direction the MCU seems to have kind of taken.

I might see more of Shazam’s fan base due to frequenting battle forums. But it’s rare to go outside a respect thread and be in a Captain Marvel discussion that doesn’t bring up Billy.

I disagree with the sex appeal thing completely. I feel like characters are designed just for that honestly. I feel like that’s the reason why you don’t see overweight characters or characters that are often physically impaired. For example as far as I’m aware there’s no reason for characters like Superman, Sentry, Doctor Fate, Dr. Strange to have abs or look like they work out but it’s done. Tony would constantly drink and party yet he’s in more shape then people who visit the gym atleast 3 times a week. Comic books tend to try to make characters look attractive and pretty them up because it’s oart of an appeal. When I bring up sex appeal btw I’m not talking about MCU Carol though they’re been comments on her looks which I’m surprised cause I agree she’s attractive

I think most of the opposition is preference to other characters honestly. Whether it be wanting their preferred character to be the most powerful, wanting their preferred character to operate as Captain Marvel, or wanting their preferred character to get the amount of chances and pushes Carol has gotten. It’s the hate that it’s not their preferred character.

I forgot to mention the whole writers writing in their political views through character thing as well...