Page 26 of 77 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I see what you're saying about Captain Marvel. I hope CM2 is better than the first one.

personally I don't understand sex appeal. I don't even understand why people think these things are sexy. I'd like to see more normal looking people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't know about Brie personally, or what the airport incident was about, but if she didn't want to be asked out at the airport, that's ok. I don't know how exactly she handled it.

I feel like Mary Sue just is something alt-right YouTubers and their ilk throw at powerful female characters. I don't use the term, because I like to be specific about my criticisms.

personally, I don't recall Shazam having a huge fanbase. But that's just me.

But the sex appeal thing is really stupid. Characters don't exist for anyone to ogle. And Brie Larson is still a thin, conventionally attractive young white woman. Her having short hair isn't going to castrate men.

From what I can gather, most of the opposition to her is mostly nothing. I just don't get it.
    I din't find her interesting or compelling if I'm being honest. I also don't understand when & how she became the most powerful Avenger, or why they felt it was necessary to elevate her that level in the MCU. All in all, she seems forced.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Yes. Also you can count in one hand the number of iron man and captain america iconic runs.
    It's not easy get a iconic runs.

Even Wonder Woman has few iconic runs. Supergirl basically has only two

We have to give time for the character establishes, for now Thompson has everything to be the iconic run for Carol
    Eh I made a mistake by saying Iconic runs. Moreso I meant in universe importance on top of iconic stories

In regards to Captain America and Ironman their basically 2/3rds of the primary faces of the Avengers. Captain America is heralded as a master strategist and he’s often times front in center in most Marvel events with iconic scenes like that one with Thanos
    Attachment 106910

I think most of Tony’s popularity is primarily off the MCU honestly but I mean they have iconic stories to the point they can get them translated to films and make episodes off them.

Diana definitely has iconic stories like A league of one,
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gam...woman-stories/
    I’m pretty sure Eyes of the Gorgon was recently turned into Diana’s second animated movie as well
    https://youtu.be/McygyhhLv98

Also Wonder Woman has incredible highly regarded runs by people like Gail Simone, Greg Rucka, and stories by Grant Morrison

Not to mention characters like Diana, Steve and Tony hold their importance in other stories and other characters storylines as well. Captain America leading the Avengers and the Avenger space alliance in Infinity. Tony being labeled as one of the smartest men in the Marvel Universe and his connection with the Illuminati. I feel like stuff like that gives those characters more weight and make readers more interested in following them simply because they feel more important.

I think Supergirl lacks a lot of that too.
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 03-05-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Lesson View Post

I din't find her interesting or compelling if I'm being honest. I also don't understand when & how she became the most powerful Avenger, or why they felt it was necessary to elevate her that level in the MCU. All in all, she seems forced.
    She was always powerful, specially on Binary form.

I don't know about Brie personally, or what the airport incident was about, but if she didn't want to be asked out at the airport, that's ok. I don't know how exactly she handled it.

I feel like Mary Sue just is something alt-right YouTubers and their ilk throw at powerful female characters. I don't use the term, because I like to be specific about my criticisms.

personally, I don't recall Shazam having a huge fanbase. But that's just me.

But the sex appeal thing is really stupid. Characters don't exist for anyone to ogle. And Brie Larson is still a thin, conventionally attractive young white woman. Her having short hair isn't going to castrate men.

From what I can gather, most of the opposition to her is mostly nothing. I just don't get it.
    Of course I dont know about brie Larson personally, but she seems like a really good person from working class. I don't know anything about airport incident, probably is fake but she already told one time that a guy harassed her and a waiter saved her (she wasn't famous yet)

Shazam never had a big fanbase(after DC bought it). I think it is one reason to be mad at her. Like they did with Alitha battle angel as the anti-captain marel movie; never mind that it is far more feminist than Captain marvel could dream to be.
    The copyright problem has zero to do with Carol. If not her it would be the original one or Monica. DC got lax with it and Marvel registered it.

Some of the most feminine women I met have short hair, it is just hair. On the past having long hair for men was so normal.
    It is great that Bie looks good with long or short hair.
    Last edited by Rang10; 03-05-2021 at 03:27 PM.

She was always powerful, specially on Binary form.
    She was never herald level or portrayed as more powerful than Thor. Seems that just did that for the sake of it.

BANNED

I see what you're saying about Captain Marvel. I hope CM2 is better than the first one.

personally I don't understand sex appeal. I don't even understand why people think these things are sexy. I'd like to see more normal looking people.
    I think it’s all about it being fantasy. People want to see themselves as the superhero and you try to find ways to identify as the Superhero at the same time. I think why most people avoid making overweight superhero’s or characters who aren’t physically attractive is because people are more fond of the idea of a character like Tony Stark who can sleep with multiple women or a character like Captain America who might not but nonetheless gets a lot of looks because he’s attractive. I think it’s about wanting to be that character and it’s not just off looks ofcourse but ideals and aspiring to all the character represents.

Even in anime/manga you have characters who might appear like Chojuro whose an overweight character but think about how much screen time he gets in comparison to Naruto/Sasuke/Sakura. Or Yajirobe in Dragon Ball. Hell DBZ even increased Vegeta’s height because it’s one of those things on physical appeal.

BANNED

She was never herald level or portrayed as more powerful than Thor. Seems that just did that for the sake of it.
    Honestly I think that’s debatable. She doesn’t have enough showings in Binary to say either way. But she has the same Uber feats that I’d argue is higher than a consistent Thor level honestly but could match up to his outliers at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Honestly I think that’s debatable. She doesn’t have enough showings in Binary to say either way. But she has the same Uber feats that I’d argue is higher than a consistent Thor level honestly but could match up to his outliers at the same time.
    Thor's best feats make Carol look street level. His consistent power level portrays him as the most powerful Avenger, flat out.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Eh I made a mistake by saying Iconic runs. Moreso I meant in universe importance on top of iconic stories

In regards to Captain America and Ironman their basically 2/3rds of the primary faces of the Avengers. Captain America is heralded as a master strategist and he’s often times front in center in most Marvel events with iconic scenes like that one with Thanos
    Attachment 106910

I think most of Tony’s popularity is primarily off the MCU honestly but I mean they have iconic stories to the point they can get them translated to films and make episodes off them.

Diana definitely has iconic stories like A league of one,
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gam...woman-stories/
    I’m pretty sure Eyes of the Gorgon was recently turned into Diana’s second animated movie as well
    https://youtu.be/McygyhhLv98

Also Wonder Woman has incredible highly regarded runs by people like Gail Simone, Greg Rucka, and stories by Grant Morrison

Not to mention characters like Diana, Steve and Tony hold their importance in other stories and other characters storylines as well. Captain America leading the Avengers and the Avenger space alliance in Infinity. Tony being labeled as one of the smartest men in the Marvel Universe and his connection with the Illuminati. I feel like stuff like that gives those characters more weight and make readers more interested in following them simply because they feel more important.

I think Supergirl lacks a lot of that too.
    My approach is the same. A character needs time to be important. Anything else is pure nonsense
    Captain america is the face of marvel, he was even created before Marvel even existed.

Tony was creatd to be protagonist, carol was created to be a superhero girlfriend. Doesn't mean it has to be this way forever.
    It is good that Marvel resolved to give Carol her due.

Morrison never wrote a Wonder woman run and his earth 2 books are garbage. George perez is the most iconic run and then it comes to Rucka. Im not sure Simone can be consideredn iconic.

Makes even less sense compare Carol to decades old characters when she started with captain marvel in 2011/2012.

how people want her to already have iconic runs/stories?

BANNED

Thor's best feats make Carol look street level. His consistent power level portrays him as the most powerful Avenger, flat out.
    We’re talking about Binary though aren’t we? But entertain me though mention said outlier feat and I’ll bring up the outlier feat I think is on par.

Then I’ll mention why I think Binary could be reasonably on Thor’s tier and if a writer honestly wanted to could be above it.

It's very personal. Some people like muscular men, some like the more slim type. There is a lot of differents tastes going on.
    I think Captain marvel is pretty sexy and I can't help having a crush on Brie.

Ultimate Member

I haven't read enough of Captain Marvel to know her feats (any suggestions would be greatly appreciated). I don't know how she regularly ranks against guys like Thor. I do think Monica's power set is more distinct.

I think my dislike of sex appeal is a personal preference. I'm not a prude, but I just don't care about sex in things not related to it. But however I feel, it's not worth judging Captain marvel over, or any hero really. I don't really care for terms like "feminine" and "masculine"

I didn't find Carol in the movie to be super interesting, but that's because they didn't delve deep enough into what motivates her, like other MCU heroes got. But I think she has potential to be interesting, and I liked her interacting with Fury and Monica's mother. I'm interested in seeing her relationship with Monica and with Kamala Khan.

I don't think of her as Marvel's lead female, because I don't think there should be one. Scarlet Witch and Wasp are just as good characters and they can all be leads of their own worlds. That's why I'm not into pitting female-led movies against one another, like with what happened with CM and Alita.

BANNED

My approach is the same. A character needs time to be important. Anything else is pure nonsense
    Captain america is the face of marvel, he was even created before Marvel even existed.

Tony was creatd to be protagonist, carol was created to be a superhero girlfriend. Doesn't mean it has to be this way forever.
    It is good that Marvel resolved to give Carol her due.

Morrison never wrote a Wonder woman run and his earth 2 books are garbage. George perez is the most iconic run and then it comes to Rucka. Im not sure Simone can be consideredn iconic.

Makes even less sense compare Carol to decades old characters when she started with captain marvel in 2011/2012.

how people want her to already have iconic runs/stories?
    Eh I disagree I could even see Wally being held to a higher regard despite him having much of the same upbringing. Though most of it could be because of the fact he’s carrying on from something that proceeds him rather than building from his very own foundation like Carol is.

I don’t agree about the 2010/2011 thing either Carol could of been given iconic stories as Miss Marvel it’s just they didn’t decide to try pushing her until they wanted a female face and she was made Captain Marvel. The whole push honestly in my opinion wasn’t really handled well.

I’d argue Geoff Johns is an example of giving a character a positive push and everything he’s done to Aquaman should have been done with Carol. I mean look at the timeframe of Johns writing Aquaman. He practically started around the time Carol became Captain Marvel and he made Aquaman feel more integral to the DC Universe then we’ve been led to believe Carol is to the Marvel Universe.

First Aquaman had a big role in Brightest Day and got stories elements in Blackest Night. I don’t think that’s anything notable but at the same time this is an event book primarily focusing on his Green Lantern run. Where several characters got a major role and story arcs. Then we got Flashpoint a big event that had again Aquaman in a major role facing off against Diana and again this wasn’t an Aquaman centric story it mainly revolves around Barry Allen. Yet stuff like this made Aquaman come off more important in the grand scheme of things.

Then finally the New52 which is 2011. I’d arguably say Johns gave Aquaman 3 iconic stories this again is around the same timeframe you mention Carol becoming Captain Marvel.

The Trench was an iconic story and I’m pretty sure got some kind of time seller award I believe same thing with The Others which theirs been rumors for a spin-off Trench movie and that the sequel will be based off The Others Arc. Then finally there was Throne of Atlantis which got an animated movie, JL crossover and Aquaman’s solo movie was based off of. Again all of this was around that same timeframe of Captain Marvel becoming Carol. In the past 10 years what have Marvel really done for Carol in the comics that’s comparable to that?

She usually is in the background for a lot of their events and just appears because she’s on the current Avengers roster. But honestly hasn’t even done anything to show for it in that book either.

I could be wrong but I feel like Thor has been given 2 crossover events I know War of Realms was one. And I know he definitely has several more. Hell this current King of Black Arc she couldn’t even get a cool scene in that instead we get Thor vs Knull in an event that is Venom focused... yet somehow Carol is being forced on people....

When in comparison Diana just saved the DC Multiverse. She was a big focus in Darkseid War and got a cool scene fighting and helping Superman. Got a cool scene in the Amazo Virus arc... sheesh thinking on it compare any of the 7 outside Cyborg to Captain Marvel on the Avengers book and in the Marvel Universe. Carol is an example of poor handling. The fact their attempt to push her was Civil War 2 is a good example of that.

Ironically DC has dropped the ball with Aquaman in recent years. But I think Geoff Johns/Aquaman is a good example on why I cant buy into the idea that Carol hasn’t had as much time to catch on. It’s poor handling is all.
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 03-05-2021 at 04:17 PM.

BANNED

I haven't read enough of Captain Marvel to know her feats (any suggestions would be greatly appreciated). I don't know how she regularly ranks against guys like Thor. I do think Monica's power set is more distinct.

I think my dislike of sex appeal is a personal preference. I'm not a prude, but I just don't care about sex in things not related to it. But however I feel, it's not worth judging Captain marvel over, or any hero really. I don't really care for terms like "feminine" and "masculine"

I didn't find Carol in the movie to be super interesting, but that's because they didn't delve deep enough into what motivates her, like other MCU heroes got. But I think she has potential to be interesting, and I liked her interacting with Fury and Monica's mother. I'm interested in seeing her relationship with Monica and with Kamala Khan.

I don't think of her as Marvel's lead female, because I don't think there should be one. Scarlet Witch and Wasp are just as good characters and they can all be leads of their own worlds. That's why I'm not into pitting female-led movies against one another, like with what happened with CM and Alita.
    Binary is one of those characters by statements, data books and her own admission should be really Uber but she hardly shows of it. She should honestly be Silver Surfer Esque. I’d argue in her base form meaning not in Binary she’s Ironman level but can exceed that by energy absorption which has done stuff like take Sentry out of a fight in the Bendis Avengers run. Feats for Binary include forcibly absorbing the Phoenix Force against its own will. Creating a white hole (opposite of a black hole) in the sun which threatens the fabric of space. And the feat most people know about is that she destroyed a planet. The thing that’s overlooked is the fact that she did it by accident and by logic the planet should of been massive given it had multiple moons. In regards to Monica her power set really shouldn’t be more unique in the sense that Binary also has control over the electromagnetic spectrum. Difference being Monica turns into various different energies from them. While Binary just controls those energies. Carol is suppose to be able to manipulate black holes, light, sound, heat everything else on the electromagnetic spectrum. She has feats for it too but it’s few.

It’s probably better you don’t care about sex appeal honestly. In a world where sex seems to sell I think that’s an appealing attribute to have man.

I feel the same exact way about Carol in the MCU and honestly most of my love for the character is that I see so much potential in her that I’m hoping gets tapped. There’s so much interesting story and plot points that could be tackled in both the movies and comics but it usually seems like it’s wasted a way in the comics honestly.

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/up...225_171602.jpg

I’ve always wanted to see that expanded on.
    8C5B007E-DCA1-44B6-8340-9045332E57CD.jpg

I definitely agree with your last pint to. The thing I value about Marvel is they don’t highlight 3 characters above the rest like DC does with The Trinity. Even then though I understood what they were doing and I do hope she gets prominence
    ABA27A54-1C5A-482D-BC41-A68A8C2FF39D.jpg
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 03-05-2021 at 04:16 PM.

BANNED

here’s a respect thread I made by the way you could see a lot of the stuff I told you about here on it. Like about her manipulating black holes or fighting against the Phoenix force https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...849142/?page=1