Page 27 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    here’s a respect thread I made by the way you could see a lot of the stuff I told you about here on it. Like about her manipulating black holes or fighting against the Phoenix force https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...849142/?page=1
    Thanks. To be fair, I'm not anti "sex sells" so far as that's what people want, as opposed so saying things are or aren't "sexy"

Anything you'd like to see in CM2?

BANNED

I think something I’d definitely love to see is her showing more vulnerability. Like all is lost type scene and coming back from it stronger. Basically like Thor had in his your not the God of Hammers moment. A scene where we could end up rooting for her.

Dive into some of her character as well and actually see some of her upbringing cause her movie showed glimpses of her as a kid or young adult but nothing really came out of it.

I want to see her treated as a powerhouse against something other than fodder as well. Like a Thor vs Hela, Hulk, or Kurse type fight Whether it be in the cosmos or on Earth. I want her to expand outside of just using energy blast, flight and her physicals as well.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

My first review of Kelly’s Captain Marvel 26. It’s rather short, but I’m still learning.

https://comic-watch.com/comic-book-r...wins-she-loses
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

I think something I’d definitely love to see is her showing more vulnerability. Like all is lost type scene and coming back from it stronger. Basically like Thor had in his your not the God of Hammers moment. A scene where we could end up rooting for her.

Dive into some of her character as well and actually see some of her upbringing cause her movie showed glimpses of her as a kid or young adult but nothing really came out of it.

I want to see her treated as a powerhouse against something other than fodder as well. Like a Thor vs Hela, Hulk, or Kurse type fight Whether it be in the cosmos or on Earth. I want her to expand outside of just using energy blast, flight and her physicals as well.
    Yeah, I'd like to see Carol's vulnerable side as well. She projects such absolute confidence that I'm curious to see what lies beneath that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I'd like to see Carol's vulnerable side as well. She projects such absolute confidence that I'm curious to see what lies beneath that.
    I’m honestly also hoping they don’t just ignore the whole fact Carol set off to go find the Kree a new home world or that she’s been in space for practically 20+ years. Or she said she was coming back to oppose the Kree. I want to see what the Kree’s intention with having her under their control was and how Carol has been a pain in their ass for this long. Maybe if it wasn’t for her involvement they would have expanded their empire either further, and I want to see that if that’s the case.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    My first review of Kelly’s Captain Marvel 26. It’s rather short, but I’m still learning.

https://comic-watch.com/comic-book-r...wins-she-loses
    Short and simply just highlighting your takeaways is probably the best way to go about it in a readers perspective

Ultimate Member

I’m honestly also hoping they don’t just ignore the whole fact Carol set off to go find the Kree a new home world or that she’s been in space for practically 20+ years. Or she said she was coming back to oppose the Kree. I want to see what the Kree’s intention with having her under their control was and how Carol has been a pain in their ass for this long. Maybe if it wasn’t for her involvement they would have expanded their empire either further, and I want to see that if that’s the case.
    Haha, I think it's Skrulls, but you have a point. I'd like to see the new Skrull homeworld and whatever creatures live there

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Thanks. To be fair, I'm not anti "sex sells" so far as that's what people want, as opposed so saying things are or aren't "sexy"

Anything you'd like to see in CM2?
    The problem is that sex sells is often a justificative to keep women being cheesecake

Eh I disagree I could even see Wally being held to a higher regard despite him having much of the same upbringing. Though most of it could be because of the fact he’s carrying on from something that proceeds him rather than building from his very own foundation like Carol is.

I don’t agree about the 2010/2011 thing either Carol could of been given iconic stories as Miss Marvel it’s just they didn’t decide to try pushing her until they wanted a female face and she was made Captain Marvel. The whole push honestly in my opinion wasn’t really handled well.

I’d argue Geoff Johns is an example of giving a character a positive push and everything he’s done to Aquaman should have been done with Carol. I mean look at the timeframe of Johns writing Aquaman. He practically started around the time Carol became Captain Marvel and he made Aquaman feel more integral to the DC Universe then we’ve been led to believe Carol is to the Marvel Universe.

First Aquaman had a big role in Brightest Day and got stories elements in Blackest Night. I don’t think that’s anything notable but at the same time this is an event book primarily focusing on his Green Lantern run. Where several characters got a major role and story arcs. Then we got Flashpoint a big event that had again Aquaman in a major role facing off against Diana and again this wasn’t an Aquaman centric story it mainly revolves around Barry Allen. Yet stuff like this made Aquaman come off more important in the grand scheme of things.

Then finally the New52 which is 2011. I’d arguably say Johns gave Aquaman 3 iconic stories this again is around the same timeframe you mention Carol becoming Captain Marvel.

The Trench was an iconic story and I’m pretty sure got some kind of time seller award I believe same thing with The Others which theirs been rumors for a spin-off Trench movie and that the sequel will be based off The Others Arc. Then finally there was Throne of Atlantis which got an animated movie, JL crossover and Aquaman’s solo movie was based off of. Again all of this was around that same timeframe of Captain Marvel becoming Carol. In the past 10 years what have Marvel really done for Carol in the comics that’s comparable to that?

She usually is in the background for a lot of their events and just appears because she’s on the current Avengers roster. But honestly hasn’t even done anything to show for it in that book either.

I could be wrong but I feel like Thor has been given 2 crossover events I know War of Realms was one. And I know he definitely has several more. Hell this current King of Black Arc she couldn’t even get a cool scene in that instead we get Thor vs Knull in an event that is Venom focused... yet somehow Carol is being forced on people....

When in comparison Diana just saved the DC Multiverse. She was a big focus in Darkseid War and got a cool scene fighting and helping Superman. Got a cool scene in the Amazo Virus arc... sheesh thinking on it compare any of the 7 outside Cyborg to Captain Marvel on the Avengers book and in the Marvel Universe. Carol is an example of poor handling. The fact their attempt to push her was Civil War 2 is a good example of that.

Ironically DC has dropped the ball with Aquaman in recent years. But I think Geoff Johns/Aquaman is a good example on why I cant buy into the idea that Carol hasn’t had as much time to catch on. It’s poor handling is all.
    Wally got all the gallery rogues from Barry, so it wasn't build on ground zero.

Aquaman was on the big 7 for JL for decades, so Johns work was good but I wouldn't say it is that special. He just did basic stuff, he didn't stayed really long. It's not groundbreaking for people that knows the character

Aquaman also isnt comparaable to Carol

Ultimate Member

Don't most heroes based on previous ones not have independent rogues?

Extraordinary Member

As for the movie...I did not hate it...but it could have been better. There was no real growth for Carol as a character. She goes through all she goes thru finding out the Kree manipulated and used her and is like "whatever, loser". Wonder Woman had amazing growth for Diana and I was hoping to see something like that for Carol.

As for the sexualization with her costumes in the past...I have been saying for a long time the women need to wear more...especially the ones without enhanced physical abilities. Why would Psylocke or Mockingbird be running around fighting bad guys without protection? I even seem to recall a scene where Psylocke slid on metal plates with her bare legs...I guarantee that is not going to feel good at all.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    As for the movie...I did not hate it...but it could have been better. There was no real growth for Carol as a character. She goes through all she goes thru finding out the Kree manipulated and used her and is like "whatever, loser". Wonder Woman had amazing growth for Diana and I was hoping to see something like that for Carol.

As for the sexualization with her costumes in the past...I have been saying for a long time the women need to wear more...especially the ones without enhanced physical abilities. Why would Psylocke or Mockingbird be running around fighting bad guys without protection? I even seem to recall a scene where Psylocke slid on metal plates with her bare legs...I guarantee that is not going to feel good at all.
    I agree about the women's costumes

I wouldn't mind a lack of character arc if she had more of a distinct personality. I liked when she blasted him across the desert

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    you already answered it: because she is a female powerful superhero. The fact that her actual costume and the most iconic isn't the cheesecake one really pissed off people
    For some reason seems like Brie became a troll magnet too
    While I do think the negativity has gotten way out of hand, there is much more to than her being a powerful female superhero. She was actually more powerful as Binary-- and no one complained. I think there was a definite lean in to political correctness -- and making her have less sex appeal -- as a means of attracting more female readers. Yes, her Ms. Marvel costume is date, but aside from that -- it was a very iconic design. So the new outfit which seemed very super hero generic (I mean look at the characters who dress in blue and red -- Superman, Wonder Woman, Captain America, etc.). Then in her second CM series, they really gave the character a make over. After years of seeing her drawn one way -- a lot changed. And the book didn't catch on -- yet Marvel kept pushing -- and nothing much worked until, I think, 'Life of Captain Marvel' and her current series.

I had problems with the film, because Marvel went to a great lengths to cut off any male influence on her --- whereas in the comics -- Mar-Vell had everything to do with her becoming super-powered. They even recast the role with a woman. It just seemed like an agenda to say -- hey, this is our Wonder Woman -- she don't need any stinkin' men!

It's not any one of thing -- it's all of that.

Ultimate Member

I honestly don't see any agenda, considering Fury and Talos basically helped her out the whole time.

I had problems with the film, but the whole feminist angle was way overblown. I actually thought it wasn't really feminist enough

That said, I didn't see why they needed to kill off Mar-Vell

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    While I do think the negativity has gotten way out of hand, there is much more to than her being a powerful female superhero. She was actually more powerful as Binary-- and no one complained. I think there was a definite lean in to political correctness -- and making her have less sex appeal -- as a means of attracting more female readers. Yes, her Ms. Marvel costume is date, but aside from that -- it was a very iconic design. So the new outfit which seemed very super hero generic (I mean look at the characters who dress in blue and red -- Superman, Wonder Woman, Captain America, etc.). Then in her second CM series, they really gave the character a make over. After years of seeing her drawn one way -- a lot changed. And the book didn't catch on -- yet Marvel kept pushing -- and nothing much worked until, I think, 'Life of Captain Marvel' and her current series.

I had problems with the film, because Marvel went to a great lengths to cut off any male influence on her --- whereas in the comics -- Mar-Vell had everything to do with her becoming super-powered. They even recast the role with a woman. It just seemed like an agenda to say -- hey, this is our Wonder Woman -- she don't need any stinkin' men!

It's not any one of thing -- it's all of that.
    And none of that guarantees any hate she receives. Punisher and cable get canceled every years and later they receive another series. SAme for constantine.

I'm glad that marvel gave her like 3 chances or more. Specially when civil war 2 derailed her solo

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I honestly don't see any agenda, considering Fury and Talos basically helped her out the whole time.

I had problems with the film, but the whole feminist angle was way overblown. I actually thought it wasn't really feminist enough

That said, I didn't see why they needed to kill off Mar-Vell
    Talos was a bad ass with swag, Fury was a bit out of his depth but he helped. Some friend aw the movie and thought it was a feminist propaganda psyops

Alitha battle angel had every man be a complete idiot, while the female hero was the badass. So it was ironic that it was choosen to be against captain marvel
    Last edited by Rang10; 03-05-2021 at 09:03 PM.