Page 39 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
    BANNED

some writers do explore as much of the history as they can. Kurt busiek when he was writing carol's addiction story weaved it in pretty well, but he would explicitly a page or two to it.

Brian reed made isolated arcs where she dealt with the brood and mar-vell and what he meant to her. Deconnick brought back the wishing well aspect to the magnitron and told it through a time travel story

Like my thing is if you write stories related to her evolution you don't have to bring it in.

Carol was the perfect combination of rickjones, mar-vell and the negabands in one person, yeah, but the specific mechanics of how that works can be elaborated on to show why she was different. It can also be further tied to her themes of identity, perseverance, reaching for her potential, passions of space etc

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    On a somewhat separate note, I'm glad the solicitation for Captain Marvel's June issue mentions that Carol's quest to learn more about magic will continue "even if every magic user she knows disagrees!" because it will finally provide a test case for whether the Scarlet Witch is really embargoed from appearing in Carol's book or not. I mean if they say "every magic user she knows" and it doesn't include Wanda at the height of her popularity, then we'll know something's up.

I know I only come here to whine that Wanda almost never gets to hang out with Carol any more, sorry.
    I'm half-expecting Kelly Thompson to write Wanda's new solo because she writes all the major MCU Heroines' solos at some point. Assuming they give Wanda a solo .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm half-expecting Kelly Thompson to write Wanda's new solo because she writes all the major MCU Heroines' solos at some point. Assuming they give Wanda a solo .
    I'd be happy with a Wanda solo even if it was written by Bendis (ok, no, that's a completely non-serious hyperbole), but I don't think Thompson's the right fit. She wrote her fine in Star, but... I feel like she always defaults to "Snarky tomboy-ish carefree protagonist" personality, if you know what I mean. It works for Carol, Rogue and Kate (arguably?), but not Wanda.

BANNED

It usually gets dumbed down to people viewing her origin similar to Hal Jordan. I do agree the whole wishing well aspect is unique and interesting in the world of comic book superheroes though. There’s no reason it can’t have happened that way and she still have a Kree mother though. I like the idea lore wise personally but that’s my own preference

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'd be happy with a Wanda solo even if it was written by Bendis (ok, no, that's a completely non-serious hyperbole), but I don't think Thompson's the right fit. She wrote her fine in Star, but... I feel like she always defaults to "Snarky tomboy-ish carefree protagonist" personality, if you know what I mean. It works for Carol, Rogue and Kate (arguably?), but not Wanda.
    Yeah, admittedly Wanda's not really the sassy, hardcore, aggressive, type but neither is Natasha (normally) so I feel like Thompson can attempt to write women outside her wheelhouse.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    What member of Carol’s family was part of the government?

How does necessarily science equate to cosmic? Isn’t Spidey good friends with Nova? If you have to bring up Cosmic Spider-Man a variation of the character isn’t really even such a good match?

I don’t think Carol necessarily even has a love for science she knows some scientific things due to her education but she’s more fond of the stars, the great beyond and planes.

I honestly think pairing her up with Spider-Man ends up grounding her, keeps her on earth and worst yet a specific city, and ends up having her face street level villains instead of cosmic ones. We’ve seen the team up before and that’s what usually happens.
    What Spider-Man and Captain Marvel have in common as well is that they were exposed to radiation that awaken their powers. For example, Spidey had the powers of Captain Universe for a time. The same was when Carol had similar powers of Mar-vell. I could see Carol and Peter going on space adventures as this would be new ground for him to work on in her world. As with Jessica Drew, a good writer could make Carol's friendship with Spidey work as close friends. Not saying they have to be lovers. A slow development of their friendship is the best course going forward because it would flush out their respective characters in a collaborative manner with each other depending on the story.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 03-18-2021 at 09:29 PM.

Astonishing Member

Thompson should be a better fit with writing Black Cat's solo series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    What Spider-Man and Captain Marvel have in common as well is that they were exposed to radiation that awaken their powers. For example, Spidey had the powers of Captain Universe for a time. The same was when Carol had similar powers of Mar-vell. I could see Carol and Peter going on space adventures as this would be new ground for him to work on in her world. As with Jessica Drew, a good writer could make Carol's friendship with Spidey work as close friends. Not saying they have to be lovers. A slow development of their friendship is the best course going forward because it would flush out their respective characters in a collaborative manner with each other depending on the story.
    Radioactive spider from earth. Versus Alien visited the planet and through a alien device you got your powers. They’re both byproducts of something but it’s not really similar. Spider-Man’s isn’t really a cosmic tale. Carol’s actually involves aliens and that’s on however you look at her origin story. The only comparison you made that gets cosmic doesn’t involve Parker’s origin story.

If Carol was to go off in space with a spider-person I think the general majority would want it to be Jessica Drew it’s more fitting in they’re best friends to even begin with. There’s a lot of aliens and cosmic characters that Peter could team up with or go to space with it honestly doesn’t have to be Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Radioactive spider from earth. Versus Alien visited the planet and through a alien device you got your powers. They’re both byproducts of something but it’s not really similar. Spider-Man’s isn’t really a cosmic tale. Carol’s actually involves aliens and that’s on however you look at her origin story. The only comparison you made that gets cosmic doesn’t involve Parker’s origin story.

If Carol was to go off in space with a spider-person I think the general majority would want it to be Jessica Drew it’s more fitting in they’re best friends to even begin with. There’s a lot of aliens and cosmic characters that Peter could team up with or go to space with it honestly doesn’t have to be Carol.
    I just don't understand why it always has to be Peter. He absolutely does not need to a central figure in the life of every woman in the Marvel universe, previous team ups or not.

This is my round about way of saying I agree with you.
    Last edited by Seren; 03-19-2021 at 12:25 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I just don't understand why it always has to be Peter. He absolutely does not need to a central figure in the life of every woman in the Marvel universe, previous team ups or not.
    I dont think Peter and Carol have any connection. Jess and Carol are a better fit

Extraordinary Member

If I had to choose between Wanda getting another solo and serving on the Avengers with Carol, I'd definitely take the latter. I don't expect either though.

Ultimate Member

If I had to choose between Wanda getting another solo and serving on the Avengers with Carol, I'd definitely take the latter. I don't expect either though.
    Why, if I may ask?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Why, if I may ask?
    Why I'd take the Avengers run or why I don't expect anything? I think Wanda's "home" is on the Avengers and I don't think she'll ever truly be back as a character until she can be back on the Avengers and reconnecting with old friends like Carol and Tony. Some characters are solo stars, like Carol, and then there are others who I think work best as part of teams, either with another character (like Vision) or a supergroup.

I don't expect anything because I don't think the comics know how to use her.

Ultimate Member

Why I'd take the Avengers run or why I don't expect anything? I think Wanda's "home" is on the Avengers and I don't think she'll ever truly be back as a character until she can be back on the Avengers and reconnecting with old friends like Carol and Tony. Some characters are solo stars, like Carol, and then there are others who I think work best as part of teams, either with another character (like Vision) or a supergroup.

I don't expect anything because I don't think the comics know how to use her.
    I see. I agree it would be good to integrate her back into the Avengers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I dont think Peter and Carol have any connection. Jess and Carol are a better fit
    New can always be established. Peter and Carol are friends, as well as Peter and Jessica Drew.