Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

When was the first time... and why... did Bruce started considering Gotham his city and that every hero in town has to follow his code?

Follow-up, when did he start banning supers like in No Man's Land?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    When was the first time... and why... did Bruce started considering Gotham his city and that every hero in town has to follow his code?

For No Man's Land to make sense Bruce has to behave a certain way. I don't consider it a character flaw of his. You don't get a story if Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern show up and rebuild the city in 5 days or solve crimes in Gotham.

BANNED

Batman's quote

He delivers his pain to criminals
    Last edited by prepmaster; 02-28-2021 at 10:47 AM.

BANNED

He doesnt want innocents to suffer like him
    Last edited by prepmaster; 02-28-2021 at 10:47 AM.

It seems that most animated Batmen veer towards the side of him being a protector; he is out there to make sure that nobody else has to suffer like he did. Whereas most live action Batmen are out there to punish the guilty; an agent of vengeance and there is not much focus on him being a protector of the innocent. Keaton's Batman is shown watching from a rooftop while a kid's parents are gun down and there is no indication of him ever going to comfort or aid the kid, the scene immediately cuts to him attacking the criminals. We can only assume he helped the kid earlier or later but the focus is always on punishing the guilty. Pattinson's Batman is on the same path with the focus on him beating up that one gang member almost excessively because 'I'm vengeance'. Meanwhile, B:TAS Batman gets Harley the dress she paid for, funds the research that cured Nora, gave Arnold Wesker a job when he wanted to go straight, helped one of Static's classmates with her condition in one of the cross over episodes, helped a bunch of homeless kids forced into servitude by the Sewer King and was on the verge of killing the latter after seeing how he abused those kids and he also stood up against Lock Up's mistreatment and abuse of the Arkham inmates.

The earliest that I can remember is Knightfall but it was more that he wanted to deal with the problems himself rather than asking others. The real-world reason was that the Bat Books wanted to be more grounded and realistic which meant that in-universe Bruce started to morph into an isolationist lone wolf that somehow also had a huge family. Then there was Mark Waid's JLA: Year One where Bruce monologues how he can't allow the new JLA to operate in *his* city, then there was NML, Tower of Babel also set in stone his paranoia resulting in contingency plans, then Nightwing: Year One and War Games really upped his dickishness, his manipulation and controlling of Cass and Tim in their respective books didn't help either.

The seeds were already starting to form from Miller's TDK Returns, Batman Annual #13 (1989) and the Superman/Batman crossover in Byrne's Man of Steel.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The earliest that I can remember is Knightfall but it was more that he wanted to deal with the problems himself rather than asking others. The real-world reason was that the Bat Books wanted to be more grounded and realistic which meant that in-universe Bruce started to morph into an isolationist lone wolf that somehow also had a huge family. Then there was Mark Waid's JLA: Year One where Bruce monologues how he can't allow the new JLA to operate in *his* city, then there was NML, Tower of Babel also set in stone his paranoia resulting in contingency plans, then Nightwing: Year One and War Games really upped his dickishness, his manipulation and controlling of Cass and Tim in their respective books didn't help either.

The seeds were already starting to form from Miller's TDK Returns, Batman Annual #13 (1989) and the Superman/Batman crossover in Byrne's Man of Steel.
    So chronologically he first thought about that when he first met Superman

What's his reason in JLA?

...One thing I like about the current reboot system is that the Annual only reach number #3 usually. So I can just say New 52 Batman Annual #3 and Rebirth Batman Annual #3 and I'll remember which story they are. Annual #13 with the same numbering from 1939... I can't remember which one's that. (I already browse it don't worry)

Knightfall, is that before or after his back broke? Because the inmates are out, and he's fatigued... I think I do remember Alfred suggested that he should call Superman or someone....

So chronologically he first thought about that when he first met Superman

What's his reason in JLA?

...One thing I like about the current reboot system is that the Annual only reach number #3 usually. So I can just say New 52 Batman Annual #3 and Rebirth Batman Annual #3 and I'll remember which story they are. Annual #13 with the same numbering from 1939... I can't remember which one's that. (I already browse it don't worry)

Knightfall, is that before or after his back broke? Because the inmates are out, and he's fatigued... I think I do remember Alfred suggested that he should call Superman or someone....
    I think part of it was also that after Jason's death Bruce was much more hesitant when it came to partners/allies. Especially when it came to using Tim.

Then the story kind of comes full-circle by Knightsend where he seems to finally accept Tim as his partner.

BANNED

Does Bruce really hate taxes ?

BANNED

One of the reasons for his no kill code is that

BANNED

He can never allow himself to find satisfaction in the killing of others.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IwkgVMb-bV0
    My favourite scene from The Dark Knight Trilogy. It's perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Same here. Justice League Batman, Batman vs Darkseid, Batman vs Circe and Batgod... not a fan.
    Thanks for agreeing!

I'm really looking forward to tynions batman issue today..