Page 61 of 147 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Seems to be a homage cover, I don't think it'll deal with a storyline.
    Yup this is an homage, just like the rest of his variant covers.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Seems to be a homage cover, I don't think it'll deal with a storyline.

One other thought did occur to me-what if Devil/Banner escape in a seperate body somehow (Sterns?), and Fixit/Savage also remain as the Hulk? We've already introduced the whole body-swapping thing with Samson and Sasquatch, and also bursting out of bodies has been done a few times with the new transformations too.

Banner and the Hulk have of course been separated bodily before, but not Hulk incarnations. That could set up an interesting dynamic, with Joe/Savage being one Hulk and Banner/Devil being the other. Just a thought. The "brothers" (Which is pretty much their relationship now) and the "Father & Son" (As Devil is sort of a "father figure" to Banner in a weird way).
    Hrmm it's possible especially if Al Ewing wants to continue Immortal Hulk in a future story, just leave a cliffhanger like that and have the next Immortal Hulk pick up on that plot beat, but give Marvel a few years to have the events of Immortal Hulk get used in other titles and team books, with double the hulks.

Utilmately though, I feel it shouldn't be a permanent thing, the entire set of Hulks are all pieces of Banner himself, and should stick together, help Banner and whatnot.

in-universe, how often have there been news documentaries about the Hulk and interviews with banner?

How popuar were Bereet's "films"? I'm more comfortable with re-retconning them as having happened, but some kind of mind-wipe convinced Banner that they were movies.

One of Immortal Hulk's characters is a newspaper reporter, so there's that. She's also loosely based on a recurring character from the old TV show.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Also several issues ago there were "excerpts" from a Rick Jones autobiography (also the first issue to feature "Sunshine" Joe).

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #332
    “Dance with the Devil!”

Cover Date: June 1987
    Sale Date: March 10th, 1987
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Todd McFarlane
    Inker: Fred Fredericks
    Letterer: John Workman
    Colorist: Petra Scotese
    Editor: Bob Harras

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Bruce Banner, Rick Jones, Betty Banner, Doc Samson, Clay Quartermain, the Hulkbusters, Ramon, Sam Sterns.
    Villain: The Leader
    Synopsis: We open to the sinister Gray Hulk throwing a fit, and verbally yelling at Banner to tell him how to put the wrecked gamma equipment back together. Sterns tells him to calm down, and we then get the backstory on what happened to the Leader. The gamma radiation wore off (kind of like what happened to Banner back in #223) and Sterns was forced to work or steal money to head west in hopes that he could somehow restore his gamma power with the help of Bruce Banner. At Gamma Base, Ramon makes an unsuccessful attempt to enter the complex and he’s roughed up and booted out for his trouble. Inside, a wounded but very determined John LaRoquette is loading up on weaponry to start a search for Rick Jones and kill him while still human. Hideko and Martel end up talking to Doc Samson, who has still recovering from his battle with the Nevermind. Outside, Quartermain has allowed LaRoquette to take a heavy-duty tank and resolve this Hulk business once and for all. Cut to Rick Jones wandering the desert and giving everyone a recap of his current situation. We are then shown Bruce Banner’s situation, as he’s deduced that the Hulk has locked him inside his old security vault in his hideout until sundown. LaRoquette manages to find Rick but Samson is able to come to his rescue before he’s run down. Hours later, we see a dreaming Banner transforming into the Hulk, desperately trying to stop himself from thinking about the gamma ray equipment so that the Hulk has no knowledge of how to fix it. Too late, as the Hulk is able to gleam the information and Sterns is able to free him from the cave prison. Back at Gamma Base, Betty receives a phone call from Ramon, but she hastily rejects his offer to talk. 4am, and the Gray Hulk has managed to find the Rick Jones Hulk. He goads him into a fight and leads him back to the hidden cave, where we see Sterns strapped to the hastily repaired equipment. Gray is able to subdue Green long enough to turn on the projector and begin siphoning gamma radiation from Rick. It works as, Sterns begins mutating into a new version of the Leader and Rick is cured of his Hulkness. A power surge sets off a series of explosions on the equipment and the issue ends on a cave banger, as the whole thing explodes before anyone can escape.
    Commentary: So long, Rick Hulk! I was and still am sad that this final battle between the two Hulks wasn’t longer or more action packed. McFarlane really beefed up Rick’s Hulk this issue, keeping the theme of how his transformations were progressing to a more brutish beast. There was some interesting food for thought in some of the dialogue coming from Samson, Rick and the Hulk. The transformation pages were probably the most interesting we’ve ever seen at this point on the character’s existence. Kinda sucked that the dialogue blocks a portion of the Hulk’s head as he’s swallowing Banner’s head. Best line of the issue goes to the Hulk, making the comment “Can’t believe I used ta talk like that!” Key word being “I”. Not the green Hulk, not Banner. We’re still a ways out from the MPD angle, so the idea of the Hulk’s color, strength and intelligence is influenced by the amount of gamma radiation is still in play. Swipe Alert for this issue is pretty big and numerous. We’ve got page 1, swiped from Byrne from HULK #317 page 8, top panel. Page 18 top panel was swiped from #316, page 12, bottom panel. Page 19 has two swipes; panel 1 is swiped from #316 page 11, final panel. Panel 2 is also swiped from #316, page 12 top panel.

Incredible Hulk #333
    “Quality of Life!”

Cover Date: July 1987
    Sale Date: April 7th, 1987
    Inker: Pablo Marcos
    Letterer: Rick Parker

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Bruce Banner, Rick Jones, Betty Banner, Ramon, Blaire and Mike.
    Antagonist: Mike the Sheriff
    Synopsis: We open to a battered wife, name of Blaire, daydreaming about shooting her abusive husband, name of Mike. Cut to the Hulk emerging from the rubble of Banner’s old hideaway, with a now gamma-free Rick Jones in tow. The two exchange words and the Hulk leaps away, leaving Rick to fend for himself. The Hulk, meanwhile, knows his fate is sealed if he doesn’t do something about his proximity to Gamma Base. He heads toward the nearby town and decides to break into a liquor store and get himself inebriated in the hopes that Banner will be unable to find his way back. His plan succeeds, as Banner is completely annihilated and thrown in jail by the abusive husband from the beginning of the story, who just happens to be the town sheriff. Later on that morning, Rick arrives at Gamma Base, only to be surrounded by armed SHIELD agents. He’s placed in a holding facility to verify his story about being cured when Betty stops by, wondering about Bruce. Rick confesses that he turned himself back into the Hulk to help cure him, and Betty has had enough. Hideko passes off a message for her, and it’s from Ramon, asking her to meet at the local bar in town. Cut back to Blaire, who has had a sentimental moment about her and Mike’s life prior to the abuse. Fearing for her life, she has packed a bag and decided to leave. In the jail, a hungover Banner is having a flashback of the Hulk and Leader’s conversation about the Hulk’s state of flux. Sterns offers an interesting explanation of the how sun and moon affect the current Banner/Hulk transformations and demeanor. He awakens in a stuper and demands to be freed before the sun goes down. Mike isn’t having it and smashes Banner’s fingers, which coincidentally turns gray and the Hulk breaks free. The brute toys with Mike, as he knows the “puny human” is no match for him in any way. A crowd gathers and begins to cheer for the Hulk over their once-beloved sheriff. Blaire sees the carnage and manages to get a hold of his gun. She threatens the Hulk, who steps aside to watch the scene between husband and wife play out. She tries to convince Mike to go to the hospital, but is berated for her concern. As he tries to take his weapon back, the gun off and she stutters “I..I didn’t mean to do that.” The Hulk stares hard into her eyes and battered face and replies “Hah! Sure ya didn’t.” before leaping away. The issue ends with Betty meeting up with Ramon at the bar, asking him to make her feel needed, special…
    Commentary: Swipe Alert on page 4; swiped from #HULK #319 page 2, bottom panel. Page 16 panel 2 is another swipe from #319, this one from page 9 panel 1. Page 20 panel 1 is a swipe from Man of Steel #5 page panel. Nothing special about this issue, it reminds me of the TV show. PAD put an interesting explanation to the Gray Hulk’s sunset transformations. I can’t recall it ever being explained up until this point, not that it lasted long back in the day, but this theme will be used for the next few years.

Incredible Hulk #334
    “Grave Circumstances”

Cover Date: August 1987
    Sale Date: May 12th, 1987
    Inker: Jim Saunders III

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Betty Banner, Rick Jones, Doc Samson, Ramon, Martel, Hideko, John LaRoquette
    Villain: Half-Life
    Synopsis: We open to a moldy, green corpse dig itself out of a grave and converse with a mysterious stranger. Cut to morning in the desert and Bruce Banner is seen stranded atop a butte. He’s rescued by a clumsy helicopter pilot but manages to make his way back to Gamma Base. It’s revealed that Betty and Ramon did nothing but talk all night long and she contemplates her life going forward with either Bruce or Ramon. Back at Gamma Base, Martel and Hideko confirm to Rick and Doc Samson that Rick has a gamma-free bill of health. Hours later, Bruce arrives and is informed that Betty had left to meet Ramon. He and Rick head to town to find her while we see LaRoquette give another speech on how lame the Hulkbusters have become and the late Lenny’s co-worker try and figure out how to tell his friend’s wife about her husband’s death. Bruce and Rick end up finding Betty and Ramon and a minor scuffle ensues, with the newlyweds getting a room of their own. Back at the morgue, the corpse miraculously comes to life, while Rick is made aware that Daylight Savings Time is in effect and Bruce and Betty are…basking in the afterglow of their consummation when he suddenly transforms and leaps away. The Hulk starts feeling weak and comes across the moldy, green corpse, who is named Half-Life. He is a literal walking corpse who roams around during the night, absorbing energy from whatever is around him. Before he can drain any more energy from the Hulk, he’s broken apart. We get a backstory on how he came to be…or die, whatever - and the Hulk assumes he’s the result of the first gamma bomb explosion like the Outcasts. Turns out this incident happened last year. A flabbergasted Hulk leaps away and later on that morning, Banner’s recollection of his injuring Betty has been suppressed, as vultures circle the area around the now-dormant Half-Life’s limbs.
    Commentary: Swipe Alert on page which was swiped from the Hulk story in TALES TO ASTONISH #89 page 8 panel 3 and page 9, semi-splash. McFarlane’s pencils are getting better, and Saunders III is a very nice fit for his early work. His version of the Hulk is coming along nicely, a mix of classic mixed with `80’s. We’ll see his art progress over the next six issues and Saunders inking tames the extensive details that we’ll see later. Technically, this is the start of the famed “Ground Zero” storyline, as the Hulk finds out that a gamma bomb killed Half-Life the prior year.

Might as well knock this one out as well...

Incredible Hulk #335
    “The Evil That Men Do!”

Cover Date: September 1987
    Sale Date: June 9th, 1987
    Artist: John Ridgeway

Villain: The Stalker
    Synopsis: Bruce Banner and the Hulk come across a ghostly killer/stalker who possesses the local outcast in a small town at night.
    Commentary: Was and still not a fan of this issue. I cannot get into a random one-off story and the art…to put it mildly…not my cup of tea. Pin this to my avoidance list with issues #230 and 286.

Last edited by McFarlane's Green Hulk; 05-13-2021 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Forgot the cover

Incredible Hulk #336
    “X-Tremes!”

Cover Date: October 1987
    Sale Date: June 7th, 1987
    Inker: Jim Saunders III

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Clay Quartermain, Bruce Banner, Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Dick Terrance, Rick Jones
    Antagonists: X-Factor
    Synopsis: The story opens with Clay Quartermain in conference with the SHIELD council and they are not pleased with the events that have been transpired since, well, I guess issue #315. At this point, they consider Banner expendable and we then cut to the Hulk in a back alley in Sparta, Illinois, lashing out as the sun begins to rise and the transformation takes place. However, the Hulk’s fit doesn’t bode well for Banner, or the building for that matter, as he’s knocked unconscious by a large piece of debris. A bystander by the name of Dick Terrance is witness to all of this and he drags Banner down the alley and into his apartment just as the other building collapses. Dick thinks he’s made it big, as he believes Banner is a mutant and decides to call X-Factor, who back in NYC, are in a training session as Iceman is still having issues controlling his powers (after they were amplified by Loki). They get the scoop and Cyclops, Marvel Girl and Iceman head to Illinois. Meanwhile, Dick and a thankful Bruce converse, with Dick feeling like a grade-A heel for what’s about to happen. A knock on the door from his girlfriend Melanie interrupts them and we find out she’s pregnant. Bruce calls Gamma Base and a quick conversation with Clay and Rick gets his suspicions aroused. X-Factor arrives but Bruce is nowhere to be found, as he went out for a stroll around the neighborhood. As he heads back to say his goodbyes to Dick, he’s recognized by Iceman and flees, thinking the X-Factor uniform he’s wearing is a new SHIELD outfit. They chase after him, but are about to give up as the sun has gone down. Suddenly, the train is pulled off the tracks and the Hulk tosses a boxcar at them and leaps away. It’s not common knowledge about the changes the Hulk has gone through so Cyclops is not sure if it’s really the Hulk or not, but he does commit to stopping him. They ditch their X-Factor suits and don their X-Terminators suits. The Hulk recognizes them as X-Men, and a battle takes place inside a printing press factory. It doesn’t last very long, as Iceman cuts loose just as the Hulk is about to grab Cyclops. The abnormally cold prison does the trick and the Hulk loses consciousness. A hesitant X-Factor calls Gamma Base and breaks the news about the Hulk running loose, enabling Quartermain to inform the SHIELD council about “where my responsibility lies.”
    Commentary: Fat-Head alert on page 2! McFarlane's progression is so fun to look at. No swipes that I can notice. Too bad the Beast wasn’t in this issue; the release dates coincide with the Horsemen storyline in X-Factor where his intelligence is lost when he exerts himself. Would have been an excellent matchup between a weaker, smarter Hulk with a stronger, dumber Beast.

I just read issue 46 and liked it. It was nice seeing Hulk with his strength back. The way he dominated the U-Foes was fun. I don't like the way Thor just charged in tossing his hammer at Hulk. While I do think that the idea of the Avengers trying brawl against the Hulk is a poorly conceived plan (especially since Black Panther and Cap should have a better plan), I have to admit I love seeing the Hulk take on the entire team.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

https://www.cbr.com/immortal-hulk-ti...ddess-preview/

Preview for Immortal Hulk: Time of Monsters.

Hey they’re reprinting PAD Hulk Omnibus Vol. 1, time to finally snag that!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hey they’re reprinting PAD Hulk Omnibus Vol. 1, time to finally snag that!
    Whoa! I'd buy that if they fixed some of the whonky coloring in a lot of the McFarlane issues.

Kind of surprised Half-Life never returned given IH's ongoing themes. Ewing's first returning Hulk villain was an obscure PAD creation so there's some precedent there.