Page 109 of 147 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 2204
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    I'm sure you feel it was cancel culture when Ardian Syaf was fired off X-Men Gold too.
    You know nothing about what I feel. I don't even know who Ardian Syaf is, but I have observed Due Process shredded, and the cruelty of mobs deciding whether someone should be able to make a living.

Also, my reaction has nothing to do with a specific company like Marvel firing someone. My beef is with the justice warrior public, who like to play Judge & Executioner.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This isn’t a case of cancel culture.

You’re trying very hard to spin this into what it’s not.

There’s a discussion to be had on cancel culture but Joe Bennett isn’t a victim of this phenomenon. Not after Marvel continued to work with him despite his crappy behavior in the past and folks on social media talking about it. It literally got to the point that his own co-creator couldn’t work with him anymore.
    No, it's YOU who is trying to spin my comments into a problem with Marvel. My issue is with the mob mentality that would like to see defendants without employment or dignity, because of things they said.

Marvel doesn't have a choice about this. They're afraid of the mob, which has taken the place of Due Process.

You don't know what you're talking about. My issue isn't with Marvel. It's with the lack of empathy, when someone does something we don't like. And that IS what Cancel Culture is about.

Ultimate Member

No, it's YOU who is trying to spin my comments into a problem with Marvel. My issue is with the mob mentality that would like to see defendants without employment or dignity, because of things they said.

Marvel doesn't have a choice about this. They're afraid of the mob, which has taken the place of Due Process.
    What is Marvel's "due process"? Please elaborate on that.

Are you saying that Marvel showed lack of empathy by letting a person go that put antisemitic material in his work without their knowledge? Or his co-creator who's career he could have jeopardized with his actions?

You don't know what you're talking about. My issue isn't with Marvel. It's with the lack of empathy, when someone does something we don't like. And that IS what Cancel Culture is about.
    Are you saying we should empathize with an individual that's putting out antisemitic stuff so much so that he slipped it into his Marvel work?

Getting fired for misconduct is pretty standard in any job. So I'm not sure what your point is here.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-11-2021 at 08:03 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by xcoijoi View Post
    You know nothing about what I feel. I don't even know who Ardian Syaf is, but I have observed Due Process shredded, and the cruelty of mobs deciding whether someone should be able to make a living.

Also, my reaction has nothing to do with a specific company like Marvel firing someone. My beef is with the justice warrior public, who like to play Judge & Executioner.
    Ardian Syaf snuck antisemitic messages into X-Men Gold in 2017 just like Bennett did with Immortal Hulk. Unlike Bennett however, he was fired immediately, and with less of a track record than Bennett of doing shitty public hate mongering.

Maybe brush up on the recent history of firings of Marvel before you try to open your mouth about something you're not even familiar with, because Bennett got a longer grace period than many others and did twice as much. It might come as some shock to you, but being a bigot in the workplace is a open and close fireable offense.

I'm kind of wondering if Marvel/Disney/Ewing will have a statement of some kind in print or in the letters column when #50 comes out next month which will have Bennet art. "We do not endorse" or something to that effect.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #354
    “The Sure Thing”

Cover Date: April 1989
    Sale Date: December 20th, 1988
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Jeff Purves
    Inker: Marie Severin
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Glynis Oliver
    Editor: Bobbie Chase

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Michael Berengetti, Suzy, Marlo Chandler, Mona,
    Villains: Maggia thugs.
    Synopsis: Open to Marlo coming back to her apartment and shocked to see it in shambles. Cut to a mindscape morning episode in Banner’s mind, with the Hulk building a brick wall to avoid answering Banner’s questions. He screams himself awake, and starts putting the pieces of the puzzle together after reading the “Screw this up and I’ll kill you” written on the mirror. This time, the roles are reversed. The Hulk has an enjoyable life and job in Las Vegas, and it’s Banner who is the one that has the potential to end it all for him. Banner ends up stealing some clothes from the maid cart, while down the hall, Berengetti and Suzy are starting their day. They make their way to the Coliseum, which is abnormally empty. Turns out the Maggia has been strongarming anyone in association with Berengetti’s business dealings. Banner makes his way to Marlo’s and the two have a heart-to-heart about “Joe”. More interactions with the Maggia, Berengetti and the police, and Mona busts Marlo about Bruce’s swim trunks hanging in their bathroom. Sunset comes and the Hulk is shocked to find himself back in his penthouse, this time with Banner having written “Now you owe me” on the mirror. He makes his way to the Royal Grand, where the Maggia and Berengetti have agreed to place bets on the Maggia’s Persuaders against “Mr. Fixit”. The bets shift for the Maggia at first, but as more and more Persuaders get tossed out of the room, it begins to favor Berengetti. Word gets around the city about the event, with bets being tossed around in the police precinct. Finally, the bets are called and to everyone’s disbelief, it’s a haggard looking Persuader who exits the room. He then collapses and “Fixit” calls on everyone to pay up.
    Commentary: Spectacular cover, interiors…not so much. When given time, Purves can really put some nice detail. Welcome back Marie Severin to the book for the next few issues. At this point, she’s truly just inking Purves’ art. Later on, you can see a noticeable shift as it goes from inking to finished art. Again, the Hulk looks odd at issue’s end. The transformation scene a few pages earlier was nicely done, and you can almost feel the pain with the agony on his face. But now, the Hulk looks like he was traced from a Super Mario Brothers strip. Or Sesame Street’s Ernie. And to nitpick, I know the Hulk is smaller in his gray form, but yeesh, that bottom panel on page 22 makes him look like my late grandfather, not the Incredible Hulk in a nice suit.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This isn’t a case of cancel culture.

You’re trying very hard to spin this into what it’s not.

There’s a discussion to be had on cancel culture but Joe Bennett isn’t a victim of this phenomenon. Not after Marvel continued to work with him despite his crappy behavior in the past and folks on social media talking about it. It literally got to the point that his own co-creator couldn’t work with him anymore.
    To be honest, in mainstream comics, the authors tend to let go of the artists at the slightest controversy or business problem, they are a bit of cowards (Bendis with J. Scott Campbell, Tom King with Jae Lee, Stan Lee with Kirby, Quesada with Manara...)

But yeah, in this case, with Joe Bennett, it was clearly anti-semitic and it was not his first strike, he has no excuse.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    To be honest, in mainstream comics, the authors tend to let go of the artists at the slightest controversy or business problem, they are a bit of cowards (Bendis with J. Scott Campbell, Tom King with Jae Lee, Stan Lee with Kirby, Quesada with Manara...)

But yeah, in this case, with Joe Bennett, it was clearly anti-semitic and it was not his first strike, he has no excuse.
    Yeah, ordinarly Marvel would have cut ties with him much faster.

I suspect it's because of Bennett's very long term relationship with Marvel that they gave him more leeway.

Yeah, he drew the Sean Mckeever IH issues which wrapped up Paul Jenkin's storyline, including an appearance of the Devil Hulk. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Im...vilHulkAlt.jpg
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Fantastic Member

Someone else had pointed out there was no controversy with Bennett till 2017 and he started openly supporting Bolsonaro, which is when the photo he drew is from as well. Everything else shitty he did was after it, sounds a bit like the guy was pretty apolitical professionally and then took off running with it, which seems like an all too familiar story in the past couple years.

Fantastic Member

HULK #2

DONNY CATES (W) • RYAN OTTLEY (A/C)

Devil’s Reign Villain Variant Cover by PETE WOODS

Variant COVER by ADAM KUBERT

“MAD SCIENTIST” Part 2 of 6 Bruce Banner finally has total control with the Hulk locked away. But with a tight grip on his plans, Bruce forgot one thing…variables can happen at any time…and this one? Even Bruce couldn’t have imagined. The craziness continues, as the Hulk hurdles farther into space, but he is not alone out there!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

“No happy endings” indeed for Hulk alas. Bruce is back on his bullshit I guess.

Good cover but it would’ve worked even better with Joe.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    HULK #2

DONNY CATES (W) • RYAN OTTLEY (A/C)

Devil’s Reign Villain Variant Cover by PETE WOODS

Variant COVER by ADAM KUBERT

“MAD SCIENTIST” Part 2 of 6 Bruce Banner finally has total control with the Hulk locked away. But with a tight grip on his plans, Bruce forgot one thing…variables can happen at any time…and this one? Even Bruce couldn’t have imagined. The craziness continues, as the Hulk hurdles farther into space, but he is not alone out there!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    For a super "crazy" and "exciting" run that Cates has been hyping up on twitter, saying Ryan never drew anything so insane that he wasn't even sure he would be allowed, this all sounds extremely tame and boring lol. Banner locks up Hulk and they travel into space where they are not alone... The suspense is... boring me.

Also i now know that Cates was BSing me when i asked him if this was gonna be another tired Hulk vs Banner story and he told me, that's not the case and sarcastically teased me how i must be psychic since i read his run before it came out... Yea sure thing Donny, it has to be that and not that your take on the Hulk is as predictable as the color of his pants.

Awesome Hulkpin cover at least. Anyway i predict this run going for about 15-20 issues before it gets canceled, everywhere i look people just don't seem to be into it, apart from Donny Cates own fans who never read a Hulk book in their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Cates has been hyping up on twitter, saying Ryan never drew anything so insane that he wasn't even sure he would be allowed
    I am not saying it can't be insane, but "wasn't sure it would be allowed", really?... You mean after Minotaur was turned into a meat goo and Bruce Banner/Hulk awful deaths and transformations?... You can't top IH's body horror.

I'm still unclear. so has it been confirmed that Hulk and Banner will be physically split up again? (though of course psychically linked?)
    I'm not clear on the agenda to explore space. Is he trying to find the planet he was on for Planet Hulk?