Page 16 of 147 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    At this point I think the cancel police are a bigger threat than some artist with some poor taste jokes.

It's going full witch hunt at this point.
    "cancelling" is just a fluffed word for accountability. I dont know about you but at my job I'm under strict social media monitoring under my actual name, and I would assume, like my job and many others, doing one of the three things Bennett has done would get you fired on the spot.

He's been given slack much longer than anyone else would get, so nobody can say he wasnt given chances to improve, and it's hard to weigh sincerity of his apologies when he keeps doing said things. Had it just been a misspelling, I doubt anybody would even be talking about this, but the fact theres a massive star of david directly below it makes things harder to not dismiss, on top of the homophobia and transphobia in the past years.

You should not say you want to punch a gay man. Its homophobia. Saying it out loud especially is blatant hate speech.

You should not laugh at jokes mocking transfolk. If the butt of the joke is just shaming another person who is doing nothing but living their lives, it's simply hate, it's not a joke.

You should really tread lightly with jewish imagery if you've done the two previous mentioned things, it's kind of impossible to view the ordeal in good faith otherwise, and this is me being as good faith as I can with the situation in the issue.

People have been calling for him to be held accountable since the first situation, it got louder after the second, and now with the third actually in the comic, it's hard not to see it as a boiling point. How many chances do you give someone before you're simply enabling their behavior?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    "cancelling" is just a fluffed word for accountability. I dont know about you but at my job I'm under strict social media monitoring under my actual name, and I would assume, like my job and many others, doing one of the three things Bennett has done would get you fired on the spot.

He's been given slack much longer than anyone else would get, so nobody can say he wasnt given chances to improve, and it's hard to weigh sincerity of his apologies when he keeps doing said things. Had it just been a misspelling, I doubt anybody would even be talking about this, but the fact theres a massive star of david directly below it makes things harder to not dismiss, on top of the homophobia and transphobia in the past years.

You should not say you want to punch a gay man. Its homophobia. Saying it out loud especially is blatant hate speech.

You should not laugh at jokes mocking transfolk. If the butt of the joke is just shaming another person who is doing nothing but living their lives, it's simply hate, it's not a joke.

You should really tread lightly with jewish imagery if you've done the two previous mentioned things, it's kind of impossible to view the ordeal in good faith otherwise, and this is me being as good faith as I can with the situation in the issue.

People have been calling for him to be held accountable since the first situation, it got louder after the second, and now with the third actually in the comic, it's hard not to see it as a boiling point. How many chances do you give someone before you're simply enabling their behavior?
    That depends on a case to case basis, not everyone gets canceled for the right reasons and not every cancellation is proportionate to the "crime" they committed. So no, "cancelling" isn't always just a fluffed word for accountability.

With that said Bennett has shown a pattern, which at this point can not be ignored. I just hope people don't go too hard on Ewing, who has gone out of his way to insert proper representation in the comic itself, more so than most other writers from either Marvel or DC. Hell this happening has completely overshadowed him putting in a scene of police brutality that been one of the key topics in the world last year.

Ultimate Member

It'll be a bummer if Bennett is taken off the book now.

His contribution to the book is just as immense as Ewing's writing and plotting.

But then again, as intothevoid as pointed out, he seems to keep getting into these issues.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    That depends on a case to case basis, not everyone gets canceled for the right reasons and not every cancellation is proportionate to the "crime" they committed. So no, "cancelling" isn't always just a fluffed word for accountability.....
    Indeed, it is or can be a modern-day word or rather term (i.e. phrase) for "witch hunt" and sadly it carries many of the same negative connotations as that horrific historical practice only with a modern but no less destructive for those caught up in it, often wrongly, twist. Shunning is another perfect analogy for "canceling". What canceling has in common with shunning and witch-hunting is that all three practices are used to often ruthlessly enforce majority social norms on those who deviate or are perceived to have deviated.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-05-2021 at 02:11 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

That depends on a case to case basis, not everyone gets canceled for the right reasons and not every cancellation is proportionate to the "crime" they committed. So no, "cancelling" isn't always just a fluffed word for accountability.
    There was a man caught on tape bragging about committing Sexual Assault. Did he get canceled? No, he got elected president of the united states.

The amount of times someone has been canceled unjustly are vastly outnumbered by the number of people who get away with heinous behavior

And of course issue 43 is OOS everywhere and being sold for ridiculous prices on Ebay.
    I am very bad at buying comics lately, first ASM 55, Daredevil 25 and Last Ronin 1, now this...

Fantastic Member

With that said Bennett has shown a pattern, which at this point can not be ignored. I just hope people don't go too hard on Ewing, who has gone out of his way to insert proper representation in the comic itself, more so than most other writers from either Marvel or DC. Hell this happening has completely overshadowed him putting in a scene of police brutality that been one of the key topics in the world last year.
    It's definitely is unfair for Ewing, who has also been a big ally to LGBTQ+ and has been vocal about UK political discrimination against trans citizens. Charlene McGowan is one of the only openly trans characters in Marvel let alone in the main cast of the book. Bennett's behavior totally undermines that, I'm sure there will be people upset this happened who have never read Immortal Hulk and dont realize a major arc is about late stage capitalism and a trans character saving the day by means of her own identity being trans, just in the same way Secret Empire was totally overshadowed by Hydra Cap and not the themes of police brutality and facism in America that the event was built upon.
    Last edited by Kingkalamari; 02-05-2021 at 02:17 PM.

The main problem with a 100% purity test standard is one mistake and you're finished without hope of appeal or redemption. No one is perfect if we were perfect we would not be human. This is why I'm vehemently opposed to Cancel Culture, it leaves no room for mistakes or redemption but is rather a puritanical ideology of hatred constantly in search of those needing punishment rather than correction or mercy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    The main problem with a 100% purity test standard is one mistake and you're finished without hope of appeal or redemption. No one is perfect if we were perfect we would not be human. This is why I'm vehemently opposed to Cancel Culture, it leaves no room for mistakes or redemption but is rather a puritanical ideology of hatred constantly in search of those needing punishment rather than correction or mercy.
    1. that's not applicable here because Bennett has history of heinous bullshit.
    2. No, it isn't. It's a desire to see people who abuse their power to hurt others be stopped.

Fantastic Member

I would be inclined to agree but you overlook the fact Bennett has made several bigoted remarks over the course of 3 years. It's not a purity test, it's a repeat offender who had numerous chances to improve and didnt. If he were to get axed, it's not because of strict overzealous standards, but because he failed multiple times to just be a decent human being, and again I ask, how many chances do you give someone before you're simply enabling them? By baseball standards this is a strike out for Bennett.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    1. that's not applicable here because Bennett has history of heinous bullshit.
    2. No, it isn't. It's a desire to see people who abuse their power to hurt others be stopped.
    1.) Spoken like a true puritan.

2.) You best hope you never make a mistake or you'll discover just how wrong you are.

Edit - The revolution eats its own.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-05-2021 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkalamari View Post
    i would be inclined to agree but you overlook the fact bennett has made several bigoted remarks over the course of 3 years. It's not a purity test, it's a repeat offender who had numerous chances to improve and didnt. If he were to get axed, it's not because of strict overzealous standards, but because he failed multiple times to just be a decent human being, and again i ask, how many chances do you give someone before you're simply enabling them? By baseball standards this is a strike out for bennett.
    delete, please
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-05-2021 at 02:27 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    There was a man caught on tape bragging about committing Sexual Assault. Did he get canceled? No, he got elected president of the united states.

The amount of times someone has been canceled unjustly are vastly outnumbered by the number of people who get away with heinous behavior
    Yea it's almost like the wealthy and powerful can get away with it, while people that don't have such privileges get their lives ruined, like that Mexican guy that was doing his job driving a truck and happen to crack his knuckles as he was driving so someone took a random picture of him saying he was throwing a white power sign and he lost his job because of it.

As for your second sentence i am gonna need a citation for that, because i genuinely wanna know how many times has someone gotten away with it as oppose to having their lives ruined and how many of those people were rich(usually white) privileged dudes and how many were some poor to low middle class people.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 02-05-2021 at 02:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member

1.) You're wrong, just take a look at Twitter. People are still calling for his head.

2.) You best hope you never make a mistake or you'll discover just how wrong you are.
    1. Anyone saying he should be fired is entirely right to do so. Because this is not a one-off incident, it's just one more example of him being awful
    2. Again, a man caught on tape bragging about sexual assault got elected President of the united States. Holding people accountable is necesary

Yea it's almost like the wealthy and powerful can get away with it, while people that don't have such privileges get their lives ruined, like that Mexican guy that was doing his job driving a truck and happen to crack his knuckles as he was driving so someone took a random picture of him saying he was throwing a white power sign and he lost his job because of it.
    One standard for thy one standard for me.

As with the powerful puritans of old in various societies, many who preach this gospel are hypocrites of the greatest magnitude.