Page 124 of 147 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 2204
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I really hope Hulk is t going to be wearing that outfit this whole run. It looks stupid and reminds me of Waid/Yu era Hulk.
    He might be for a while unfortunately, Cates is really defensive about it... Even going as far as to claim dumb, untrue things like. "Well Hulk needed armor in the best selling Planet Hulk run, so why are you complaining?"

Ignoring the fact that the armor from Planet Hulk

1. Looks cool
    2. Barely even covered anything, so it's not like he needed to block some specific attack from someone
    3. Hulk was weakened in Planet Hulk

At least Ottley is more reasonable since he outright says it isn't an armor for Hulk, dunno why Cates is trying to contradict his partner so much though... other than his inflated ego does not allow him to admit he asked Ottley to make something dumb looking.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

I really hope Hulk is t going to be wearing that outfit this whole run. It looks stupid and reminds me of Waid/Yu era Hulk.
    I might torture myself and give the Waid run another re-read. I enjoyed the premise of what he had Banner doing in the first couple of issues, and I was trying to give Waid the benefit of the doubt while everyone else was throwing in the towel on it. I think it was after the Thor arc, I just gave up and put them in my longbox without reading the rest of the run.

Снимок экрана (613)_cr.jpg
    I'm intrigued. What shocking event should happen for me to say "naughty swear word"?... not sure if that's even possible.

Mighty Member

Really curious to read it. But for the moment it seem a big dumb comic with a lot of splash page and little subtance; like Aaron's Avengers. Why not after a run like Ewing you need to go in a totally different direction, if you want to make a difference, like Waid with his Daredevil run (one of my favorites). But this kind of big dumb comics are rarely my favorites. We will see.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    I might torture myself and give the Waid run another re-read. I enjoyed the premise of what he had Banner doing in the first couple of issues, and I was trying to give Waid the benefit of the doubt while everyone else was throwing in the towel on it. I think it was after the Thor arc, I just gave up and put them in my longbox without reading the rest of the run.
    As a Superman guy I was really excited to see Waid write my favorite Marvel character lol, didn’t turn out like I hoped. Maybe I’ll give that run another reread someday but I dropped it pretty quick. Aaron’s is still the worst Hulk run I’ve read however.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Hulk View Post
    I'm intrigued. What shocking event should happen for me to say "naughty swear word"?... not sure if that's even possible.
    They are gonna have Hulk time travel and fight a giant, classic version of Wolverine.

With that said, people should not have their expectations be too high. I can't speak of Ottley since i haven't followed him for long to see what he says, but Cates absolutely does love over-hyping everything he writes. Every other project he does is the most insane, the most interesting, the coolest, the best thing he has ever done... He says this EVERY TIME he does a new project, so i would suggest people don't buy too into his words. Not that i don't think this run wont have over the top action, but i don't think it will be mindblowing or that it will even surpass some of the stuff Pak has written(in terms of pure action/spectacle).

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #359
    “Soul Man”

Cover Date: September 1989
    Sale Date: May 16th, 1989
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Jeff Purves
    Inker: Marie Severin
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Glynis Oliver
    Editor: Bobbie Chase

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Michael Berengetti, Glorian, Shaper of Worlds
    Villain: Cloot
    Synopsis: Open to a flabbergasted Hulk confronting Michael Berengetti with “WHAT DO YOU MEAN I’M FIRED?!!” He explains that he’s had enough of the crazy, super powered menaces, “Fixit’s” constant disappearances, and the Ghoul hanging in his meat locker is the last straw. The Hulk tries to strong-arm him into changing his mind, and Berengetti lets him in on knowing his true identity. And if anything should happen to him, it’s all been arranged to get the word out about who and what they’re dealing with…especially during the day. The Hulk changes his tune and tries sweet-talking his way back into his good graces when Glorian comes crashing through the wall. Berengetti gets in a smart remark and this prompts the Hulk to claim he quits. Further down the street, the Hulk tries taking out his frustrations out on Glorian, admitting that he’s walked out on the best gig he’s ever had. Glorian is able to fend him off long enough to make him read the contract between him and Cloot, and how in a few short hours his soul is to be sacrificed. The Hulk laughs at his situation, and this frustrates Glorian into conjuring phantom images of the Thing, Thor, Abomination, and Wolverine into forcing an admission of redemption from the brute. Cloot arrives and whisks him away to the Grand Canyon. A curious Hulk soon follows, and we get some exposition between Glorian and Cloot on the events of the last couple of issues. The Hulk arrives just before Glorian is pulled in and he explains that he’s here to “watch you get yours”. He then blurts out that he should head back to Vegas and kill Berengetti and take back Marlo his way. This impresses Cloot, and the Hulk states that “a new moon brings out the best in me.” He peers into the canyon below and is visably shocked at what he sees. As Glorian pleads for his help, the Hulk suddenly swats the demons away and tosses Cloot into the canyon, exclaiming that no one deserves that for trying to help him. Cloot reappears in his demonic form, and is still intent on claiming Glorian’s soul. The Hulk is able to convince Cloot to play a Craps field game for the prize. But using Cloot’s giant dice. A boxcar roll (with the help of the Hulk’s landing). Some back and forth between the two end when the Shaper of Worlds appears. The demon retreats and the Hulk is left with some ominous words from the Shaper about his future.
    Commentary: The “Mr. Fixit” era officially ends here. Although the Hulk will be hanging around Vegas and still using the moniker to fit his needs for a while, his employment with Berengetti is done. While I wasn’t a fan of Glorian or Cloot, this issue hit all the buttons for me in terms of satisfaction for ending an arc. We find out that Berengetti knew he was dealing with the Hulk the entire time, Cloot is beaten and Glorian saved, and this incarnation of the Hulk, while a brutish selfish thug, does have a hidden softer side, and there was a mention of the green Hulk just for kicks.

Fantastic Member

Watch it be something like Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine with him ripping Wolverine in half. Given that Ottley didn't seem to realize Hulk would be obliterating those AIM goons.

Anyway, there is an interview for the upcoming Hulk run if anyone is interested, unfortunately it's behind an 8 dollar paywall.

https://klcpress.substack.com/p/in-d...donny-cates-on[/QUOTE]
    I’ll just wait for Bleeding Cool to summarize the whole thing
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-29-2021 at 06:00 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

But is he going to make us his bitch?

Or Suck it Down!?

BANNED

I’ll just wait for Bleeding Cool to summarize the whole thing
    That would be a pretty big troll of them to do, so i doubt. But at the same time i doubt he reveals anything too important in it anyway.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-29-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Default # 50 rant

This is actually quite funny how there's nothing to discuss about final issue.
    It came out and we just moved on to what Cates is cooking up. It's supposed to be the end on an era, isn't it? Huge event. What I was looking forward is discussing for weeks to come, issue came out and it felt... kinda meh, if I am being honest?

That twist with Bruce and Sterns being kinda related... I wish it didn't happen, I could live without it.

Devil, World Breaker, Professor- not adressed.

No fighting at all, it's like Ewing is allergic to it or something, he avoids it by all costs. I've talked about it before- Hulk loves smashing things. Smashing bad guys. He's anger, he's raw animal power. If you take it all away and leave only talking and suffering... it's good and everything but I've got problems with that. So far # 45 gave me more than finale. I also reread few of Pak stories and damn, it feels like a fresh air, especially WWH with some tie-ins.

Hulk suffered a bit too much in this run, and I want to finally see him victorious. I want to see him as triumphant- because almost EVERY time he was tortured, depowered or humilated by someone. Even this issue- it doesn't feel like some huge victory AT ALL. It feels like a draw- at best. I didn't want Hulk to beat OAA's ass or anything but I still want something more than just retrieving Bruce's body and forgiveness.

As much as I want to love the final, I simply can't, because while it has some good moments and just god-level art... it feels unsatisfying.
    Hulks go in Hell, chat with God and come back. Done. Piece of a cake. All this build-up was leading up to something HUGE- and turns out it was that story Thing told to Joe in # 41. Like I didn't get it back then.

This is dissapointing and suffers from the same problems I've had with story previously. We had 80+ pages long issue and it still feels incomplete, it lacks epilogue of sorts. We started so many plot threads, resolved few of them in an entirely different comic book (Gamma Flight) and entirely dropped others (like Walter or relationships with Harpy).

It all should have worked better.

How? Not sure. The entire story needs rewriting because a lot of moments feel rushed as hell. And I don't think of myself as someone who is better than Ewing in writing lmao. But I would cut off unnecessary flashback story with Banner/Sterns and let Hulks smash Cthulhu Leader's ugly head and his monster army. THEN after winning fair and square AND by using Jackie's new power you can chat with OAA and have "huge reveal" that it's all been a test.

I dunno. Maybe that's just me? I've looked up multiple reviews and majority of readers say "it's a masterpiece!!".

I have to admit, the more I look at the run as complete story, the more I think that the first few arcs were my favourite. Opening arc with stand alone stories, Sasquatch, Hulk in Hell. A bit of Shadow Base. I had huge problems with Agger arc but issue 25 was peak writing for me, it hooked me so much all I could think about was IH. Probably the moment I really decided to pay close attention to the series. Read all issues multiple times, listened to Ewing's podcasts, read interviews etc.
    Everything looked so intriguing and unique... How could you not love World Breaker Hulk coming out to kick Xemnu's ass?? Or big reveal of Leader being behind the scenes all this time??
    But after Devil died in such dumb way all the hype kinda died with him. And the book's quality dropped too. How many times Hulk was captured? Three? It's a bit repetitive.

The worst part about it? You can blame it all on my big expectations. It's kinda my fault for expecting mind-blowing finale. What can you do, comic book covers always better than what's inside(

It was great run overall and I am incredibly glad I've read it, but there's too much wasted potential. Maybe if it was a bit longer, it would be better. The only emotion I've felt after closing last issue was "wait, and that's it?"

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

This is actually quite funny how there's nothing to discuss about final issue.
    It came out and we just moved on to what Cates is cooking up. It's supposed to be the end on an era, isn't it? Huge event. What I was looking forward is discussing for weeks to come, issue came out and it felt... kinda meh, if I am being honest?

That twist with Bruce and Sterns being kinda related... I wish it didn't happen, I could live without it.

Devil, World Breaker, Professor- not adressed.

No fighting at all, it's like Ewing is allergic to it or something, he avoids it by all costs. I've talked about it before- Hulk loves smashing things. Smashing bad guys. He's anger, he's raw animal power. If you take it all away and leave only talking and suffering... it's good and everything but I've got problems with that. So far # 45 gave me more than finale. I also reread few of Pak stories and damn, it feels like a fresh air, especially WWH with some tie-ins.

Hulk suffered a bit too much in this run, and I want to finally see him victorious. I want to see him as triumphant- because almost EVERY time he was tortured, depowered or humilated by someone. Even this issue- it doesn't feel like some huge victory AT ALL. It feels like a draw- at best. I didn't want Hulk to beat OAA's ass or anything but I still want something more than just retrieving Bruce's body and forgiveness.

As much as I want to love the final, I simply can't, because while it has some good moments and just god-level art... it feels unsatisfying.
    Hulks go in Hell, chat with God and come back. Done. Piece of a cake. All this build-up was leading up to something HUGE- and turns out it was that story Thing told to Joe in # 41. Like I didn't get it back then.

This is dissapointing and suffers from the same problems I've had with story previously. We had 80+ pages long issue and it still feels incomplete, it lacks epilogue of sorts. We started so many plot threads, resolved few of them in an entirely different comic book (Gamma Flight) and entirely dropped others (like Walter or relationships with Harpy).

It all should have worked better.

How? Not sure. The entire story needs rewriting because a lot of moments feel rushed as hell. And I don't think of myself as someone who is better than Ewing in writing lmao. But I would cut off unnecessary flashback story with Banner/Sterns and let Hulks smash Cthulhu Leader's ugly head and his monster army. THEN after winning fair and square AND by using Jackie's new power you can chat with OAA and have "huge reveal" that it's all been a test.

I dunno. Maybe that's just me? I've looked up multiple reviews and majority of readers say "it's a masterpiece!!".

I have to admit, the more I look at the run as complete story, the more I think that the first few arcs were my favourite. Opening arc with stand alone stories, Sasquatch, Hulk in Hell. A bit of Shadow Base. I had huge problems with Agger arc but issue 25 was peak writing for me, it hooked me so much all I could think about was IH. Probably the moment I really decided to pay close attention to the series. Read all issues multiple times, listened to Ewing's podcasts, read interviews etc.
    Everything looked so intriguing and unique... How could you not love World Breaker Hulk coming out to kick Xemnu's ass?? Or big reveal of Leader being behind the scenes all this time??
    But after Devil died in such dumb way all the hype kinda died with him. And the book's quality dropped too. How many times Hulk was captured? Three? It's a bit repetitive.

The worst part about it? You can blame it all on my big expectations. It's kinda my fault for expecting mind-blowing finale. What can you do, comic book covers always better than what's inside(

It was great run overall and I am incredibly glad I've read it, but there's too much wasted potential. Maybe if it was a bit longer, it would be better. The only emotion I've felt after closing last issue was "wait, and that's it?"
    I'm not gonna type out all my complete feelings (because I honestly don't care that much) but I thought #50 did what it was supposed to do: fix decades of Bruce hating himself. Essentially, he learned that while his life as a person may be a full of misery any pain he can still be a good man. Sure, did the issue tie up the series in a bow with golden wrapping paper? No... Not really. I would've liked to see something like some sorta resolution between Red Harpy and Bruce, but the book didn't need to go above and beyond. One of the worst sins you can do as a writer is to go out of your way in the attempt to solve every one of your loose ends in a story. Lastly, you knew what you were getting from Ewing in terms of raw action if you read is other works lol. In Ultimates^2 he completely side-stepped a possible massive confrontation between the Panther god and Logos by just saying "We're concepts, we don't don't fight with our fists. I represent a King so I'm stronger than you".

With all that being said, I really liked #50. I don't really need to talk about it more than that.
    Last edited by PlatinumThorns; 10-29-2021 at 10:04 PM.

BANNED

I do kinda agree with you in essence. I did like the IH 50 a lot but it was not the perfect ending i expected or hoped for and it did kinda disappoint in some aspects. But yea as i said before i think Ewings biggest problem is pacing, some of his issues felt like fillers and others felt really rushed. And the ending itself felt like he was just chasing that number 50, there could have been so much more there.

Anyway back to Cates, this isn't a 100% confirmation but it kinda seems Cates is going down the footsteps of Jason Aaron mad scientist Banner...

https://twitter.com/Tempter_60/statu...10465030860812

Hopefully it's not the case, but i wouldn't be surprised at all...

Ultimate Member

I think the big problem was that The One Below All was established as such an abstract being that it was hard to get a climax.

I mean, how does one fight the laws of physics?