Page 135 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 2204

I think Ewing used that too, but it turned out to be in reference to the "Galactus Hulk" in the possible future from #25.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

“Worldbreaker” seems to have become a moniker for Hulk in general like “Jade Giant”. But if anyone were to bring that incarnation back it would probably be Cates.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Immortalhulk13 View Post
    Yeah, well immortal hulk is a lighting-in-a-bottle run- not just the best of the character, but one of the single greatest comic runs of all time. This on the other hand, just seems to be one of 2 things; at worst, a painfully average hulk run, or, at best, something in line with the latter half of Greg Pak’s run. Either way, It’s not even comparable to Immortal hulk. I want to say that it has WWH and planet hulk potential, but even that would be a stretch. And don’t get me started on PAD’s run.

However, this issue has reignited some hope, for me. Let’s see where Cates goes with this.
    You got all out of reading one issue?!?!
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Just made it to the comic store this afternoon. Much better than the FCBD preview. While I didn't love it, my loathing turned into a mild curiosity. Hopefully we get a good backstory as to what triggered this change in both the Hulk and Banner.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    Just made it to the comic store this afternoon. Much better than the FCBD preview. While I didn't love it, my loathing turned into a mild curiosity. Hopefully we get a good backstory as to what triggered this change in both the Hulk and Banner.
    Exactly why I'm withholding complete judgment. The issue was interesting. The art was dynamic. A few genies that got a little too loose were put back in the bottle, so all in all I was happy. Hopefully a good twist to violent Hulk will come. A twist that we never got out of the morbid Immortal Hulk story.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    You got all out of reading one issue?!?!
    Well, it’s just what I expect after reading it. I dunno. I just can’t really say that I actually liked the issue- I feel like I did, but my expectations were so low, so it’s hard for me to get a grasp on how I really felt about it..
    Last edited by Immortalhulk13; 11-26-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortalhulk13 View Post
    Well, it’s just what I expect after reading it. I dunno. I just can’t really say that I actually liked the issue- my expectations were so low, so it’s hard for me to get a grasp on how I really felt about it. I was just speculating. I could be wildly off the mark tho, who knows?
    I'm not saying don't voice your opinion, but to compare an entire run to one issue is completely unfair. While the Immortal Hulk story reads exceptionally well, it does not fit into the Hulk mythos at all.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 11-26-2021 at 05:13 PM.

I'm not saying don't voice your opinion, but to compare an entire run to one issue is completely unfair. While the Immortal Hulk story reads exceptionally well, it does not fit into the Hulk mythos at all.
    How? Ewing made changes but so did previous writers, we never would’ve gotten Hulk being an expression of Bruce’s MPD if everyone had to slavishly follow what Lee and Kirby created in Hulk’s debut.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    How? Ewing made changes but so did previous writers, we never would’ve gotten Hulk being an expression of Bruce’s MPD if everyone had to slavishly follow what Lee and Kirby created in Hulk’s debut.
    I'm a long time Hulk reader that's been in and out of comic book stores every week for 34 years. Ever since I started collecting comics, Hulk has been my favorite. Here's my concerns with Al Ewing's run I voiced on another message board...

Although Al Ewing's story reads well; as far as storytelling goes; there were many changes made to the character that I felt were forced. To name a few... The entire green door idea didn't play out smoothly, suggesting it was always there didn't sit well with me. Hulk being an avatar for the One Below All aka the One Above All's lower evil self, also was forced and came out of nowhere. Al Ewing destroyed the 'Angelic' mythos surrounding Rebecca Banner by turning her into that whining neighbor chick from the Sopranos. Gamma stemming from pretty much Hell, when it is a force that permeates the entire universe makes no sense to me. Devil Hulk (an incarnation of evil) leading the "noble" fray doesn't work for me. Cosmic Ray's trumping gamma waves isn't scientifically sound, when in fact gamma waves are the most powerful energy in the electromagnetic spectrum known to us. The ending to this story seemed rushed. But my biggest PEEVE is that all things termed Hulk, are now forever linked to cannibalism in the MU proper. These are just a few concerns.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

I'm a long time Hulk reader that's been in and out of comic book stores every week for 34 years. Ever since I started collecting comics, Hulk has been my favorite. Here's my concerns with Al Ewing's run I voiced on another message board...

Although Al Ewing's story reads well; as far as storytelling goes; there were many changes made to the character that I felt were forced. To name a few... The entire green door idea didn't play out smoothly, suggesting it was always there didn't sit well with me. Hulk being an avatar for the One Below All aka the One Above All's lower evil self, also was forced and came out of nowhere. Al Ewing destroyed the 'Angelic' mythos surrounding Rebecca Banner by turning her into that whining neighbor chick from the Sopranos. Gamma stemming from pretty much Hell, when it is a force that permeates the entire universe makes no sense to me. Devil Hulk (an incarnation of evil) leading the "noble" fray doesn't work for me. Cosmic Ray's trumping gamma waves isn't scientifically sound, when in fact gamma waves are the most powerful energy in the electromagnetic spectrum known to us. The ending to this story seemed rushed. But my biggest PEEVE is that all things termed Hulk, are now forever linked to cannibalism in the MU proper. These are just a few concerns.
    Hulk as a character isn't 'scientifically sound' in the first place; the third form of Gamma fits comfortably within what was already established as the reason why it turns folks into metaphor people. All those other pet peeves of yours sound like stuff you didn't read too much into rather than actual problems with the plot points lol

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Hulk as a character isn't 'scientifically sound' in the first place; the third form of Gamma fits comfortably within what was already established as the reason why it turns folks into metaphor people. All those other pet peeves of yours sound like stuff you didn't read too much into rather than actual problems with the plot points lol
    Scientifically sound?!?! This is a comic book. Actually, I may have read into it too much, as the thought of this story doesn't leave me with satisfaction at all.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 11-26-2021 at 06:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Although Al Ewing's story reads well; as far as storytelling goes; there were many changes made to the character that I felt were forced.
    Cates literally did a 180 w/ Bruce the end of IH(which he never was gonna address since he made his pitch 6 years ago but Ewing hot Hulk and he got Venom instead, and then they swapped and he had his pitch already up) but in general as well.

The opening pages are literally Strange coming out of nowhere making a forced theory that just happens to be true.

Both runs did forced changes, but Cates made a massive one in issue 1 itself.I'm hopeful for the run btw but still Cates entire thing here is forced change to make his story happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Cates literally did a 180 w/ Bruce the end of IH(which he never was gonna address since he made his pitch 6 years ago but Ewing hot Hulk and he got Venom instead, and then they swapped and he had his pitch already up) but in general as well.

The opening pages are literally Strange coming out of nowhere making a forced theory that just happens to be true.

Both runs did forced changes, but Cates made a massive one in issue 1 itself.I'm hopeful for the run btw but still Cates entire thing here is forced change to make his story happen.
    It's a theory informed by what he just saw and a fear he he held that's being potentially realized. I must also point out that Bruce spent the last year in the clutches of the One Below All and the trauma of enduring that, no matter how good he feels in the immediate aftermath of Immortal Hulk's ending, doesn't mean that he's 100%.

People are, I think, being a bit too quick to jump on this when we only have like 28 pages to go on so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post

Donny Cates has one issue on the stands, how can you call that a run? He's setting up a story. We're not sure if he took a 180 degree turn when we don't even know what's going on yet.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It's a theory informed by what he just saw and a fear he he held that's being potentially realized. I must also point out that Bruce spent the last year in the clutches of the One Below All and the trauma of enduring that, no matter how good he feels in the immediate aftermath of Immortal Hulk's ending, doesn't mean that he's 100%.

People are, I think, being a bit too quick to jump on this when we only have like 28 pages to go on so far.
    Again he didn't take IH ending into consideration.His pitch was way before IH, before it even started and he said he used the same pitch.And being traumatized vs being so f*cking evil the Hulk is the one whose protecting us is a massive change.Again we'll see what happened in El Paso.

Donny Cates has one issue on the stands, how can you call that a run? He's setting up a story. We're not sure if he took a 180 degree turn when we don't even know what's going on yet.
    I didn't say run. I'm saying if you disliked Ewing's stuff because it was forced then this is also forced SO FAR, if you just weren't a fan of the direction then that's another case.And again I'm saying if Banner is remotely as evil as how this portrays him(to the point that Hulk is protecting us from him) then yes it's a massive forced change.