Page 95 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 2204
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

https://twitter.com/RyanOttley/statu...403092994?s=19

This is encouraging. I want a consistent work of the artist and a long and consistent work of the writer / artist, which was in the Ewing era, and I really do not want that mess with the artists, which was in the days of Aaron and Waid.
    For the Hulk, it's a whole tradition of long runs of artists and I hope Ryan Ottley is with us for a long time, he is a stunning and legendary artist.

And Donny about run
    https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/...311706628?s=19

I'm a little scared.

Ultimate Member

Cates' characterization should be good.

Much else...well...

Immortal Hulk has benefitted a lot from a consistent team in Ewing + Bennett so I hope to see that continue with Cates + Ottley.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

That image doesnt do Mahnke’s Hulk justice. Here’s an all-time, best Hulk ever, contender by him from 1998.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    Damn, this issues is gonna be kino.

Kino indeed. Can't wait. Bennett promised big fight, didn't he?

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #349
    “Warzone”

Cover Date: November 1988
    Sale Date: July 19th, 1988
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Jeff Purves
    Inker: Terry Austin
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Petra Scotese
    Editor: Bob Harras

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Anthony Gold
    Villains: Warzone
    Synopsis: The story picks up after the last panel from Web #44…with Alpha, Charlie, Spider-Man and “Mr. Fixit” discussing on who gets to do what. Spider-Man and “Fixit” get into it, as Alpha and Charlie head off in the other direction. Delta and Bravo soon make their appearance as we see Anthony Gold murdered in cold blood by his superior about the lack of progress he’s made in his Vegas assignment. “Fixit” and Spidey’s fight is interrupted when it appears that Alpha succeeded in his goal in killing Charlie. Spidey vows vengeance and the Hulk gives her corpse an odd look and leaps away. More Delta and Bravo conflict, as Charlie makes an miraculous recovery. The Hulk reappears and forces Charlie to spill the beans. A couple miles away, Spider-Man and Alpha’s battle has taken to the rooftops. Alpha shoots out the support struts of a very large sign that delays Spider-Man long enough for Alpha to take aim. Before he can pull the trigger, the Hulk appears, snaps off Alpha’s arms and helps Spider-Man safely lower the broken sign. We then get the backstory on this Warzone business, a verbal back and forth between the Hulk and Spider-Man about helping others, and the losing members of Warzone nursing their broken pride and bodies at another bar. The Hulk arrives back at his apartment…only to be interrupted by Doctor Doom.
    Commentary: Terry Austin is a helluva life saver here, as Purves is progressing, but still green. That shot to the chin Spider-Man gives the Hulk on page 15…I can feel it in my teeth all these years later. There seems to be some clumsy dialogue in this issue between the Hulk and Spider-Man towards the end. I dunno, it just reads funny. Since this issue leads directly to FF #320, I will also be covering it.

I'm not a fan of how Jim Purves drew faces, but the way he drew Mr. Fixit face resembles that of Walter from the Mask, and I'm mostly thinking of the animated series, so at least I dig that.
    I also like the way he drew Spider-Man's suit, it feels sorta like it was an inspiration for how the Raimi films suit was designed.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Has the Immortal/devil/joe hulk had any kind of revenge on Nightmare since this current era began? I'd really like to see that, no holds barred. Does Nightmare know any secrets about the One Below All?
    Don't think so. I think Betty probably would like some revenge on him too.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Fantastic Four #320
    “Pride Goeth…”
    Cover Date: November 1988
    Sale Date: July 26th, 1988
    Writer: Steve Englehart (with assistance from Peter David)
    Artist: Keith Pollard
    Inker: Joe Sinnott
    Letterer: Jay Workman
    Colorist: George Roussos
    Editor: Ralph Macchio

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: The Human Torch, Alicia Storm, Sharon Ventura
    Villain: Dr. Doom
    Synopsis: Minutes after HULK #349, Dr. Doom is able to convince the Hulk that the newly mutated Thing is no match for the now more intelligent brute. The Hulk’s ego says otherwise and later that day, he ambushes Ben from behind atop the Four Freedom’s Plaza. The rest of the issue is one giant slugfest, as the Hulk struggles to keep quiet to not blow his cover, while the Thing gains the upper hand in terms of bravado and strength. Ben is convinced that this Hulk is a clone that didn’t take because of the color and strength loss. Doom, meanwhile, is silently gloating, believing that the Thing will be destroyed and the Hulk will become his new ally in his war to reclaim Latveria. Just as the Hulk manages to get the upper-hand, the Thing rallies and overpowers him. Before he can deliver the final blow, the GREEN Hulk arrives, creating confusion all around.
    Commentary: Fat-Head Alert on page 19 and 30! I love the Pollard/Sinnott art team, and this Englehart run is one of my favorite eras. I loved the “pineapple” Thing/She-Thing mutations, the new team…it was refreshing and different for a while. Again, there is some clumsy dialogue in the beginning, and some of Ben’s dialogue just reads funny during their fight, but I’ve come to associate that with Englehart during my many re-reads of his FF and WCA runs during this era. Some of his stuff just reads funny...

^^^ So who was the green guy? A robot of some kind? Sent by whom?

Incredible Hulk #350
    “Before the Fall”

Cover Date: December 1988
    Sale Date: August 16th, 1988
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Jeff Purves
    Inker: Terry Austin
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Petra Scotese
    Editor: Bob Harras

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Dr. Doom, the Beast
    Antagonist: The Thing
    Synopsis: Seconds after the ending to FF #320, the Thing takes his frustrations out on the Green Hulk, who is actually a robot that was once used against the Eternals many years back. Doom salvaged it, saving it for a contingency plan and dispatched it to give the Hulk a respite. Again, Doom uses the Hulk’s ego against him, convincing him that he isn’t strong enough for the task of defeating Grimm. The Hulk refuses to concede, stating “Strength isn’t everything! Winning is!” By this time, Ben realizes he’s been duped by a robot and the Hulk has to turn the tables, using brains over brawn. He leads the Thing to Central Park, and spends the rest of the evening wearing him down with sneak attacks and leaping across the area. Seeing his opponent exhausted, the Hulk lures him into a punch that lands him in the lake. After nearly drowning him, he lets Ben crawl out and confirms his identity as the real Hulk and pounds him into unconsciousness. He and Doom part ways, and the Hulk stumbles across what’s left of Avengers Mansion, which results in a blackmailing from the Beast about assisting them against the High Evolutionary. The story continues in Avengers Annual #17…
    Commentary: A loss in the FF issue results in a win in his own book. Not sure if this was supposed to be a double-sized issue or not, shame it wasn’t. More clumsy dialogue, this time between the Hulk and Beast. And a nitpick to see that Pollard had the Hulk wearing his traditional tattered pants during the fight in the FF book, but Purves has him wearing a ragged version of his pin-stripe suit, gloves and all.

It’s pretty amazing how despite Immortal Hulk’s success, Ewing has been able to keep it self-contained to the series. I’m sure Marvel has begged him to wrap up his run in an event. With Cates though I don’t expect the same, we are definitely getting a Hulk event from him at some point. That’s both good and bad. Good in that Hulk will be at the center of the MU, and Cates style of storytelling works well with events. Bad in that, well, Cates style of storytelling prioritizes spectacle over substance, and events only worsen that.